Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advanced Prototype / Tactics Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Advanced Prototype / Tactics Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 10:07 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Advanced Prototype and Tactics Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 12:24 PM | #2
A tactical item could be that it changes Energy Burst so that the stacks not only scale damage, but also energy spent. Each stack makes it cost 5 more energy (so 4 stacks remain the same 20 energy). I don't remember the math off hand, but I think it still does more damage as a filler at 2 stacks than Mag Blast while costing a bit less heat. So it would be a juggle between sustained damage vs burst but also making sure we'd use all 4 stacks if there is still an autocrit mechanic tied to it in 6.0.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

Rion_Starkiller
04.16.2019 , 01:45 PM | #3
Tac item? Literally anything that helps me stay alive longer.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(Ö,,,,Ö)(\/) ¦̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
8 pugs and a grophet i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

KainrycKarr
04.16.2019 , 06:23 PM | #4
TACTICAL ITEMS

- A Tactical Item that changes Sonic Missile's 30% Defense Chance to 75% Force/Tech Absorption.

While in theory, 30% defense chance can be amazing...or it can be utterly useless. This will help reduce the RNG nature of the ability and offer the spec more consistent survivability that it has lacked for two years, while still ensuring it can still be countered (absorption means reduced damaged, but stun/CC still possible)

- A Tactical Item that changes Rail shot, Magnetic blast and Shatter slug to have 15m range instead of 10.

This item would restore some of the kiting ability that was lost when it was established that Powertech should be 10 meters and under, giving it increased passive survivability against melee opponents.

- A Tactical Item that changes Grappling line to be able to be used within 10 meters, deal X amount of damage and root the target for 3 seconds.

SET BONUSES

"Brawler" set

2/6 - Rocket Punch increases damage dealt by 4% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds.
4/6 - Rocket Punch's heat is reduced by 2%.
6/6 - Increases the duration of Energy Shield and Sonic Defense by four seconds.

Will add more as I think on them a bit.
Kain'ryk Karr - Level 60 Powertech<Clan Adenn>

MuskyBoy
04.16.2019 , 11:57 PM | #5
Tactical item reduces hydraulic overrides cooldown by 10 secs and increases damage reduction by 15% while hydraullics is up. This would allow the class to be able to kite better in PVP making them a little stronger without being OP or sacrificing the glass cannon that they are. Another suggestion would be shatter slug spreads retractable blades bleed to targets it hits in order to give the class a little more AOE. I'm not going to suggest absurd survivability given I expect PT will be given more/better CD's (Example Merc kolto)

LEBU
04.17.2019 , 12:53 AM | #6
I would like to see a tactical item that changes the Vanguard Passive "Tactical Armor". Now the Passive Tactical Armor is: Taking critical damage grants Tactical Armor, increasing damage reduction by 2% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.
With the tactical item this could be: Taking any damage grants Tactical Armor, increasing damage reduction by 10% and decreasing damage dealt by 5% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.
This would help the Class to survive much longer in PvP while being focused at the expense of their damage output which is fine and doesnt make the class overpowered.
In PvE you have to consider your reduced damage output so you would only equip this tactical item for heal-intensive Bosses to make the life of your Healers easier when you have overall enough damage in the Raid.

MuskyBoy
04.17.2019 , 01:07 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LEBU View Post
I would like to see a tactical item that changes the Vanguard Passive "Tactical Armor". Now the Passive Tactical Armor is: Taking critical damage grants Tactical Armor, increasing damage reduction by 2% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.
With the tactical item this could be: Taking any damage grants Tactical Armor, increasing damage reduction by 10% and decreasing damage dealt by 5% for 15 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.
This would help the Class to survive much longer in PvP while being focused at the expense of their damage output which is fine and doesnt make the class overpowered.
In PvE you have to consider your reduced damage output so you would only equip this tactical item for heal-intensive Bosses to make the life of your Healers easier when you have overall enough damage in the Raid.
Sacrificing dps for survivability shouldn't occur in PVE for dps. This would be ok for tanks given they don't have a cheese DCD atm but could also hurt you on a tight dps check where tank damage matters. Although 30% damage reduction is way too high maybe 3 % per stack of DR at the expense of 3 % damage per stack for tanks.

ultimarb
04.17.2019 , 01:11 AM | #8
Tactical Item Ideas. I would like to see some variations which can be a light variant of hybrid specs. but i think every advantage of an tactical item should come with a disadvantage in combination. Also i would advocate for 2 slots for those items. One offensive and one deffenisve

Some Offensive Tactical Items
  • Item 1
  • Positive: Make the Bleeding Effect of Retractable Blade spread to all targets hit by Shatter Slug.
  • Negative: Reduce Bleeding Damage by 10-20%.
    This would be a great item for e.g. Izax Master Mode(You would slightly reduce single target dps and would help against izax cutter adds without sacrificing APs burst for respeccing to Pyrotech.
  • Item 2
  • Positive: Reduce Cooldown of Heat Vent by 50%
  • Negative: Reduce Heat vented by Heat Vent by 30%
    This would give you a totally different characteristic for the heat management of pt's. Could be very interesting to see the result for different boss encounters.
  • Item 3
  • Positive: Change Deadly Onslaught back to Death from above (way more damage)
  • Negative: Death from above cant be used on a rund and has a higher cooldown
    More AOE Damage for certain situation sacrificing the mobile advantage of deadly onslaught and its short cooldown

Defensive Tactical Item
  • Item 1
  • Positive: Change the effect of Sonic Rebounder to the normal effect of APs sonic missile for your group
  • Negative: No Rebounder for group
    Kinda like the idea to change an effect and it's super interesting to see an tactical item changing something relevant to a group instead of yourself.

Item 2
  • Positive: While having pyro shield utility active. each trigger on pyro shield won'T hit the enemy instead the "energy" triggered will extend the duration of energy shield by x seconds
  • Negative: No Damage from pyro shield
Seven Stuck - Hakuna Rakata
Final Tauntaun

Check our Sale-Raid Offers on Tulak Hord - German - English

KainrycKarr
04.17.2019 , 01:21 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by LEBU View Post
10% damage reduction for 15% damage loss, when in reality it's just 4% than we would have now? Absolutely not, that is 100% garbage. You're trading a net 4% DR gain for 15% dps loss. Garbage. Throw it out the window.
Kain'ryk Karr - Level 60 Powertech<Clan Adenn>

steveerkcanjerk
04.17.2019 , 01:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by KainrycKarr View Post
10% damage reduction for 15% damage loss, when in reality it's just 4% than we would have now? Absolutely not, that is 100% garbage. You're trading a net 4% DR gain for 15% dps loss. Garbage. Throw it out the window.
agreed that would only make the class weaker and not give enough defense in return. Basically you are sacrificing your burst window for 4% DR.
the mandalorians will rise again, we will unite and make the galaxy bow.
choggun mandalorian sniper
dreadshots mandalorian mercanary