Skanking is a Thing... How About Skamage?

Buellzebubba

that would be a terrible idea. the problem that created skank tanks in the first place is that defensive stats suck really really bad in pvp. skanks became a thing due to tanks trying to get away from defensive stats, so it makes no sense for dps to pick them up. especially since they don't use a shield, rendering 2/3 of the stats (shield and absorb) literally useless. Edited by sumquy

• 1 month later...

I main tanks and run a skank in PvP. I have little to say by means of theory but having tried all 3 guardian roles in PvP I can speak for them.

Guardian dps... haha get smooshed 10 times a wz.

Tank, very good survivability but little damage unless you run some form of dps mod/enhancement. I also noticed little to no advantage in running my tank (i.e. shield absorb) gear. It just seems that something about damage in PvP cannot be mitigated by defense/shield/absorb as readily. So I run high endurance dps mods and enhancements.

A few comments on skanking, however.

If your goal is dps, in terms of actual killing power, you will end up disappointed. Yes sometimes you will do a lot of damage on the final board. But that's largely due to the increased survivability, and some aoe pressure.

You are a tank. Get that in your head. Play like a tank. Your job is first to keep your team alive, then to aggravate the enemy team with stuns/cc/etc, then to help with damage. I literally run the dps stats only because the tanking ones did nothing for me. So 30k guardian slashes it is. My healer buddy and I regularly hold a node stains 4-6 imps depending on how good they are.

If anyone decides to use this as an outlet for "skanking is op" I am preemptively answering. Most skanks don't truly realize their survivability because they insist on playing as wannabes dps. Note I am not saying to never guard dps. The proper guard target is highly situational and usually whoever is taking the most damage.

The reason you see so many skanks is because the dps specs of tank capable VG and guardians are so squishy. When a different buddy of mine skanks and I go vigi I die literally 10 times a wz. For VG. It's probably even worse.

So 2 things could be done to lesson the prevalence of skanking.

1. Make tank gear useful somehow. So long as I feel like it's not improving my survivability more than high endurance dps gear, I have no reason to run it.

2. Make dps guardians and VG on par with other melee dps survivability, and maybe bring merc and sniper down a bit. The ability to stay alive would put these specs back to being more predominant, and the people currently skanking who want to dps would go back.

I am not sure that either of these steps are simple, and I do not personally feel the changes upcoming for 5.6 will help the situation. Like anyone else, however all I can do is wait and see and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

With taunts, guard, CC's, and other abilities like Guardian Leap (AKA Intercede), tanks contribute more than just DPS to a team. This is why they can afford to take stats like end/shield/def and remain a threat.

Some DPS can go more endurance-heavy and remain threats, and some DPS need more endurance to stay alive. But to go for shield+absorb requires a lot of investment for it to carry even a little bit of impact, especially on classes with no inherent bonuses to it.

Edited by Eli_Porter