To those EU detractors a thought to consider...

Jamayle

Personally I love the EU because it lead to some interesting and unique additions to the lore. Sure I will always love the OT which is how I got my start, but the EU has added more flavor to the over all lore. When lucas made his additions to the lore again with the prequels, i can remember a lot of fans saying it was garbage and "not true star wars" just like they say about the EU. Okay why is that"? is it because it is not a rehash of the OT?

Okay I can admit there are some parts of the EU i dislike but I don't disregard them because i realize there are those who like it and appreciate it for what it is worth. Like it or not Lucas still allowed the EU to exist and all of the books, comics, RPG source books, miniature games, trading card games and video games; including this one, are licensed by Lucasfilm. Not to mention in my point of view the EU adds more to the force then the movies ever did and has contributed to the lore more then the three films did. Sure the OT started it but the EU continued it and keep star wars from fading into obscurity until the OT Special editions and PT came out.

I mean i can understand the idea that some of the force powers, characters and concepts introduced are a little ridiculous and the fact that most EU detractors consider the EU to be overall nonsense and silly. However...but I want you to consider this...

We are talking about a universe where...

1. a 9 year old can race a rocket powered chariot
  2. a 900 year old muppet can jump around and fight with a miniature, baby-sized lightsaber
  3. Two ambiguously gay robots bicker and argue with each other, like a old married couple.
  4. A planet of three feet tall Teddy bears can take out an entire legion of Stormtroopers
  5. A teen fresh of the farm with little Jedi training, can succeed were seasoned rebel veterans failed.
  6. A world of under water dwelling duck like creatures can speak with Jamaican accents.
  7. and where space wizards run around with friggin laser swords and dress like reject franciscan monks.

Excetly what part of any I just posted makes any sense? If you look at it even the OT and PT conceptually are a little ridiculous. In fact the above I just stated are reasons that most of my RL friends did not become fans like I have. The EU takes these elements introduced in the films and expands on them adding to their entertainment value. Lets not forget in the eyes of the creator himself, Mr. George Lucas...these movies were always meant for kids.

It is because of those reasons I have accepted most aspects of the EU because like the movies they are meant to provide entertainment and escapism. That is why it kind of bothers me when i hear fans diss each other about various aspects of stars from those who bash both the EU and even the PT. The EU was meant to be entertainment and in many ways during a time when it appeared that episodes 7.8 and 9 would never be made as continuations of the cannon.

Sure that might get all swept away now but I believe those who are rejoicing this are forgetting that the EU has made some good additions to the lore and even brought in new fans to the franchise. Oh sure most aspects of the EU are silly and at times uber-ridiculous but then again the movies have ewoks and jar jar binks. And with some of the examples I have posted can you tell me how anyone can honestly take this seriously? I think that some time my fellow fans; especially those who are fans of the OT, wear rose tinted goggles a little to tightly on their heads and make an effort to refuse any thing new added. In many ways this is very small minded of them and alienates them from their fellow fans.

I can understand a little of were they are coming from yes, though still i believe that maybe they should make an effort to try and see the EU in a different light and understand were EU fans are coming from and why it is so important and loved to us.

The odds of The Mouse respecting anything of the EU going forward are somewhere between zero and... well, zero. EU fans, all six of them, are just going to have to get over it.

Seeing as the Star Wars novel section is second in size only to the Warhammer novel section, I'd say that the EU has made them a fair amount of money, so has a lot more fans than that.

Not that I expect them to respect all the EU, but there are parts that if they retcon out it will kill Star Wars post ROTJ for me.

The odds of The Mouse respecting anything of the EU going forward are somewhere between zero and... well, zero. EU fans, all six of them, are just going to have to get over it.

You know its stuff like this that make me:mon_rolleyes: at times.This assumption that the EU is so insignificant that you can just ignore its impact is simply mind boggling. Sure, it may not be your cup of tea but don't forget the novels, video games and other EU contributions had also had a hand of bringing in fans, both OT fans who looked to learn more about the universe we had first fell in love with back with the theatrical release and VHS versions of the OT.

As well as new fans who hopped on during the lull in between the end of the OT and the start of the PT. As well as the stories set in between and during the PT. I just wish that Lucas and Disney would consider this and try to realize that the movies are not the only way lore and story for the star wars universe could be conveyed.

Edited by Jamayle
spelling errors

I think they would not and should not touch the Old Republic era stuff and most of the PT era EU unless the PT ones contradict with the movie. As for post RotJ-pre Legacy ones, it's already a mess, just keep some good ones like TTT and X-Wing and wipe out the rest.

I think they would not and should not touch the Old Republic era stuff and most of the PT era EU unless the PT ones contradict with the movie. As for post RotJ-pre Legacy ones, it's already a mess, just keep some good ones like TTT and X-Wing and wipe out the rest.

I admit that I do hope that if they decide to keep some of the EU around it be the Thrawn Trilogy and X-wing novels at least. Though to be honest that would not be too fair for those who have to watch as their favorite series are retcoined to hell.

For me this is no different then the fan outcry during the 1997 OT special editions. The reason I and billions of other fans rejected it was because Lucas changed things that we loved and accepted. Now it is happening again but in a different manner.

Edited by Jamayle
need to add more

I admit that I do hope that if they decide to keep some of the EU around it be the Thrawn Trilogy and X-wing novels at least. Though to be honest that would not be too fair for those who have to watch as their favorite series are retcoined to hell.

For me this is no different then the fan outcry during the 1997 OT special editions. The reason I and billions of other fans rejected it was because Lucas changed things that we loved and accepted. Now it is happening again but in a different manner.

No he didn't change it, he just made a new version of it to make it looks better in modern audience's eyes. Some of the changes are much better like let Ian play the Emperor in EP V and Victory Celebration.

While I do agree with your statement, I also have to admit that back then I would have argued with you over this point for DAYS. I am a lot more mature now then I was way back then though.

Yeah, that's one of the reason why PT got so much hate, sure it had obvious flaws but some haters just hate their saga to be touched again.

SW could not just stick to nostalgia and not move forward, I don't like TCW but at least it kept people's eyeballs on the small screen when there were no new movies. So it is time to start a new era.

Yeah, that's one of the reason why PT got so much hate, sure it had obvious flaws but some haters just hate their saga to be touched again.

SW could not just stick to nostalgia and not move forward, I don't like TCW but at least it kept people's eyeballs on the small screen when there were no new movies. So it is time to start a new era.

This is my major argument for at least the early post ROTJ EU stories. It got people to at least read books, play games or learn about the lore other then through the same three movies, at least until the PT got started. Hell the PT EU that came out in between the movies helped keep interest in some people or even got those who would not have bothered to see the movies interested in this franchise until the next movies came out.

This is my major argument for at least the early post ROTJ EU stories. It got people to at least read books, play games or learn about the lore other then through the same three movies, at least until the PT got started. Hell the PT EU that came out in between the movies helped keep interest in some people or even got those who would not have bothered to see the movies interested in this franchise until the next movies came out.

But it also got many horrible stuff, along with quite a few good ones. So it would be better to not totally throw them away, but choose a few good ones to keep.

My main problem with the post RotJ story is

1. Way too many major threats, the writers just think whatever they could think of and let the big 3 fight, even recycle dead villains(AKA Palpatine). It's quite inconsistent and unrealistic(all the bad guys were aiming at one era).

2. Cannot pass the torch, the trio were still saving the galaxy in their seventies. At least it should be over after the Vong War but NOOO...

3. Some villains are horribly characterized , mainly Darth Caedus.

But it also got many horrible stuff, along with quite a few good ones. So it would be better to not totally throw them away, but choose a few good ones to keep.

My main problem with the post RotJ story is

1. Way too many major threats, the writers just think whatever they could think of and let the big 3 fight, even recycle dead villains(AKA Palpatine). It's quite inconsistent and unrealistic(all the bad guys were aiming at one era).

2. Cannot pass the torch, the trio were still saving the galaxy in their seventies. At least it should be over after the Vong War but NOOO...

3. Some villains are horribly characterized , mainly Darth Caedus.

Hey at least the big 3 age and eventually die(or well we know Luke dies) and the torch is passed. It's not like...oh say DC or Marvel where they have had their characters not age in forever and keep on fighting and so on, also characters actually staying dead(aside from Palps but he dies anyway permanent) and not coming back and making death in DC/Marvel rather redundent. :p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Hey at least the big 3 age and eventually die(or well we know Luke dies) and the torch is passed. It's not like...oh say DC or Marvel where they have had their characters not age in forever and keep on fighting and so on, also characters actually staying dead(aside from Palps but he dies anyway permanent) and not coming back and making death in DC/Marvel rather redundent. :p

That's Legacy Era's story. Sure SW is much better than DC/Marvel on consistency but still should let the next generation like Jaina Solo carry stuff on.

Savor the moment folks.

These are interesting times.

We're gonna see a 2nd generation of SW fans getting "their childhoods ruined" by the inevitable march of the franchise to stay relevant with the kid crowd. In that crusade nothing is holy.