Why everyone are in love in original saga character instead of the book ones

Sewerus

I mean characters, like darth vader, han solo, luke and etc.

The expanded universe had much more to offer:

Characters like:

Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tenel ka Djo, Kypp durron, Talon Karrde etc.

So why the star wars from 80's are so loved even now, when those new character have more rich story, are more interesting and overall are better.

Not to mention Darth Revan and Bastila Shan, ancient dark lords like Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall etc.

So my question is this why they are so fancy, why people are interested in them instead of the new ones ?

Any thoughts ?

Characters like:

Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Tenel ka Djo, Kypp durron, Talon Karrde etc.

So why the star wars from 80's are so loved even now, when those new character have more rich story, are more interesting and overall are better.

Not to mention Darth Revan and Bastila Shan, ancient dark lords like Naga Sadow, Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall etc.

So my question is this why they are so fancy, why people are interested in them instead of the new ones ?

Any thoughts ?

I'd think it would be obvious.

A lot more people have seen the movies than have read the books. Even people who have read the books, grew up on the movies and have childhood memories of them. And they only read the books after watching the movies and falling in love with them that way.

And plus, while I've only read a few of the books - they just weren't any good. Maybe they've improved. There are a lot of them, and you'll have variable quality. But I read a couple and didn't really have any desire to read more.

I'll grant you that the three prequel movies are abominably bad in their own right.

Edited by amantheil

Because not only were the OT characters in the movies, but they also have books of them too. So ontop of that being in the movies, they have books...where as the book(or EU) characters only have books and the OT chars are further expanded on from the movies and you can relate to them better then any EU character that you mentioned. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

probably because most people don't read star wars books? lol?

This. That being said, my favorite character is from the books. And I've largely designed my main as a great great great... ...great great ancestor.

Yeah, not enough Star Wars fans have even heard of, let alone read, the books. Most seem to assume them to be glorified fan fiction, and if they read one and didn't like it, they dismiss the rest.

But I love the EU, tho I haven't read much of the recent stuff aside from comics; one of my characters is named (and modeled, aside from having blue eyes) after Kol Skywalker, Luke's great-great-great-something-grandson. Judging by how many EU names I tried for various characters when rolling on my server, EU characters ARE pretty popular. Soooo many were already taken :)

In terms of the Original Trilogy, the chemistry between the main cast was outstanding. Darth Vader? A great villain that persisted through all 3 movies. Some cheesey, but great lines for the movies also.

"It's a trap!"

"I got a bad feeling about this."

"When I left you Obi-Wan, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

"A more civilized weapon. For a more civilized time. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

"Evacuate?!? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Red squadron members sounding off before the attack runs on the Death Star

"Stay on target..."

"You have failed me for the last time, admiral."

"Impressive!... Most impressive!"

"Cover me, Porkins!"

"I am your Father!"

"These aren't the droids we're looking for."

More people watched the movies than the extended universe. They recognize the names more than others.

Same with almost any other media. Halo series for me. Read the books, no one really cares.

Edited by JediRyuk

Characters like:

Any thoughts ?

Winter, Kir Kanos, Darth Talon, Wrenga Jixton, Empatojayos Brand (my vote for Greatest Jedi of all time), Mirith Sinn, Dass Jennir, etc. There are a LOT of them out there. Oh, and Zayne Carrick and Jarael! :D

Because quite frankly, the OT movies were far superior to the new movies, games and books. I love the books, comics, etc. don't get me wrong. But the OT had such substance to it. Great story telling, amazing characters, and great actors. Everything that has come after it just copies the original. Name one sith lord from the EU that's not in some way a copy of vader or palpatine. Or a bounty hunter that's not a copy of Boba Fett, etc. Myself, like alot of SW fans grew up on the OT, it's a part of us, our past and our childhood, nothing else will ever come close.

Because quite frankly, the OT movies were far superior to the new movies, games and books. I love the books, comics, etc. don't get me wrong. But the OT had such substance to it. Great story telling, amazing characters, and great actors. Everything that has come after it just copies the original. Name one sith lord from the EU that's not in some way a copy of vader or palpatine. Or a bounty hunter that's not a copy of Boba Fett, etc. Myself, like alot of SW fans grew up on the OT, it's a part of us, our past and our childhood, nothing else will ever come close.

Frankly I don't like any character from the movies at all but I love characters from games and books like:

Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Darth Revan, Bastila Shan, Mission Vao, Canderous Ordo aka Mandalore the Redeemer, Roan Fel, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

So I do not know why is so good in those characters from the movies, I do not find them intersting at all.

Dunno. They didn't bother to look for any they could get into maybe?

Legacy of the Force

Betrayal (2006), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)

Bloodlines (2006), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY) (A)

Tempest (2006), by Troy Denning (40 ABY) (A)

Exile (2007), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)

Sacrifice (2007), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY )(A)

Inferno (2007), by Troy Denning (40 ABY )(A)

Fury (2007), by Aaron Allston (40 ABY) (A)

Revelation (2008), by Karen Traviss (40 ABY) (A)

Invincible (2008), by Troy Denning (41 ABY) (A)

[edit]Crosscurrent

Crosscurrent (2010), by Paul S. Kemp (41 ABY)

Riptide (2011), by Paul S. Kemp (41 ABY)

[edit]Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon (2008), by James Luceno (43 ABY) (A)

[edit]Fate of the Jedi

Outcast (2009), by Aaron Allston (43.5 ABY) (A)

Omen (2009), by Christie Golden (43.5 ABY) (A)

Abyss (2009), by Troy Denning (43.5 ABY) (A)

Backlash (2010), by Aaron Allston (44 ABY) (A)

Allies (2010), by Christie Golden (44 ABY) (A)

Vortex (2010), by Troy Denning (44 ABY) (A)

Conviction (2011), by Aaron Allston (44.5 ABY) (A)

Ascension (2011), by Christie Golden (44.5 ABY) (A)

Apocalypse (2012), by Troy Denning (44.5 ABY) (A) [1])

I really liked all of these. Very well done. Great characters. Even still has all the old favorites too, like Luke, and Han, Boba...

But great new characters as well, like Ben Skywalker, and Jason Solo. And one very very evil B*tch that even the Sith are afraid of. Great series.

My favorite characters happen to be from the EU. My favorite characters are Jacen Solo, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Wedge Antilles (who was created in the movies but fleshed out in the EU). I like Luke and Han from the movies but most of the characters I really like are from the EU like my three favorite characters as well as Jaina Solo and Tenel Ka and so many others.

Yeah, no real incentive for me to start reading any of the books. I can imagine it's the same with most people. Too many books to look into, and not nearly enough time in our lives. If you have the time for it, kudos.

I tend to read more than I play games. That's just me though. The books I posted previously however, I've never actually read. I listened to them. Audiobooks; great for fallen asleep to, or cleaning house to. :D

I'd think it would be obvious.

A lot more people have seen the movies than have read the books. Even people who have read the books, grew up on the movies and have childhood memories of them. And they only read the books after watching the movies and falling in love with them that way.

And plus, while I've only read a few of the books - they just weren't any good. Maybe they've improved. There are a lot of them, and you'll have variable quality. But I read a couple and didn't really have any desire to read more.

I'll grant you that the three prequel movies are abominably bad in their own right.

pretty much this.

Remember its a VERY VERY VERY Small percentage of people who have ever read an EU book.

Probably less then 1% of people who have seen Star Wars have ever read a star wars book.

I have read many of the EU book and for the most part they aren't very good. Even those that are good have still never made a character anywhere near as good as the OT main characters.

Simply because people are visual creatures, especially males. And the there's a large percentage of males interested in Star Wars.

Me personally. You couldn't pay me to read a book, I'd rather be in the gym or doing something productive outdoors when not nerding out to this game.

Frankly I don't like any character from the movies at all but I love characters from games and books like:

Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Darth Revan, Bastila Shan, Mission Vao, Canderous Ordo aka Mandalore the Redeemer, Roan Fel, Grand Admiral Thrawn.

So I do not know why is so good in those characters from the movies, I do not find them intersting at all.

Kyle Katarn goes without saying. No need to even name him. It's just implied. :D

My fav characters from books:

Corran Horn(love the guy! I'm nearly gay for him :D The most badas s Jedi ever), Talon Karrade, Booster Terrik and his red star destroyer, Master Sebatyne, Jancen Solo(in some books I hated him tho... especially the ones when he was a whiny little ****), Anakin Solo(he is the Anakin, which should be in movies!), Gilad Pellaeon(I prefer him over Thrawn. Maybe he wasn't as brilliant as his smurf counterpart, but he was really, really charming), Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel combo <3 and the list goes on and on, and on...

Annoying but still good characters:

Borsk Fey'lya - everytime he opened his mouth I wanted to jump into the book and kill him with my bare hands lol... he was annoying in a good way. Made me remember him.

Natasi Daala - imperial failure. She failed so many times and still remained important. I was kinda impressed by her.

My most hated character is Kyp - I really just wished Luke force chocked this little rotworm it was really a good quick fix in 3 or 4 books. Hate him and wished him death from the beginning :mad:

Srsly people go read books :D They are awesome!

Edited by MelodicSixNine

My fav characters from books:

Corran Horn(love the guy! I'm nearly gay for him :D The most badas s Jedi ever), Talon Karrade, Booster Terrik and his red star destroyer, Master Sebatyne, Jancen Solo(in some books I hated him tho... especially the ones when he was a whiny little ****), Anakin Solo(he is the Anakin, which should be in movies!), Gilad Pellaeon(I prefer him over Thrawn. Maybe he wasn't as brilliant as his smurf counterpart, but he was really, really charming), Jaina Solo and Jagged Fel combo <3 and the list goes on and on, and on...

Annoying but still good characters:

Borsk Fey'lya - everytime he opened his mouth I wanted to jump into the book and kill him with my bare hands lol... he was annoying in a good way. Made me remember him.

Natasi Daala - imperial failure. She failed so many times and still remained important. I was kinda impressed by her.

My most hated character is Kyp - I really just wished Luke force chocked this little rotworm it was really a good quick fix in 3 or 4 books. Hate him and wished him death from the beginning :mad:

Srsly people go read books :D They are awesome!

I can't believe I forgot Corran Horn. I have failed in my fandom. He is tied with Wedge as my favorite pilots. Tycho Celchu wasn't too bad either. I'm a huge fan of Rogue Squadron all together.

I can't believe I forgot Corran Horn. I have failed in my fandom. He is tied with Wedge as my favorite pilots. Tycho Celchu wasn't too bad either. I'm a huge fan of Rogue Squadron all together.

Tycho Celchu was in RotJ, you actually see a few clips of him in RotJ though his name isn't mentioned.

Anyways one of my favorite chars with EU was Anakin Solo, I also like Corran Horn, and Ben Skywalker.

Used to like Jacen but then he went off the deep end.

Tycho Celchu was in RotJ, you actually see a few clips of him in RotJ though his name isn't mentioned.

Anyways one of my favorite chars with EU was Anakin Solo, I also like Corran Horn, and Ben Skywalker.

Used to like Jacen but then he went off the deep end.

They did go crazy with Jacen and kind of go against what he was about. He still is my favorite character of all time though. I like Anakin and Ben as well. It's kind of a shame they had to kill off Anakin because right around the time he died he was becoming the most interesting character with how powerful he was becoming and the love developing between him and Tahiri. I don't quite "love" Ben yet like I do some of the other characters but I'm very interested in seeing what they do with him next. I'm still reading Apocalypse so I haven't seen what happens between him and Vestara yet. I need to get on that.