Raid-Wide Combat Logs, Ask Mr. Robot

Hey all, I grouped up all of the combat parsers here. But I wanted to start one for the parser we made, specifically for feedback and testing purposes.

Ask Mr. Robot's Raid-Wide Combat Log Parsing

Features:

• No login required (but if you want to login, Mr. Robot keeps a list of all reports you've made so you can find them again)
  • Merge raid-logs automatically. Each person can upload their own and the merge still works. Or a raid leader can upload them all at once.
  • Search for logs by server & guild, look up anyone who has the logs uploaded
  • Damage and healing reports & share any report view with friends!
  • Reports with 'other effects' used, like potions, buffs and debuffs
  • Rankings are coming soon, so get your logs up now to be added to the top DPS / HPS lists :)

Sample reports (from a Red Reaper run)

The technical details behind 'smart-merging':

We're beta-testing 'smart merging' of logs. You don't need a raid ID or anything else, you just have to upload your log. Each person can upload their own, or if someone has all of them they can just upload them all at once. Either way works. Here's mini-guide on the log uploading process.

If the logs are uploaded individually, Mr. Robot will search for related logs based on a few parameters, like your server, time zone, and the FP/OP you raided. We applied a few robo-smarts to this, but this likely will need improvement. We might have the 'idiot proofing' parameters tuned too tight or too loose.

I have a post all about merging technicalities here, for those who like to geek out. If you run into ANY merging problems, let me know. We are investigating each one, and using that information to fine-tune our merging logic.

Update on 4/30: Added new features, including a guild-search, log management (edit and delete), improved merging logic, and updated fight logic for some specific fights like zorn & toth. Some of these features will only apply to new logs, not retroactively to old logs.

Edited by Zoopercat

We're spending the entire day brainstorming more options for merging. If anyone has feature requests, or any problems they've seen, let us know. We'll add it to the list.

For example, we might try to offer more control over the files that get merged if someone is logged in, because then we can set permissions on the files. Otherwise, if someone is not logged in, how do you know if they should be able to delete a file?

But we want to balance this with enough quality features for users who don't make accounts... it just gets tricky with merging 'permissions.'

Used this yesterday, was pretty neat. When I uploaded, the merge showed me three other guildies' reports from the op, including the other healer.

I had some difficulty at first, with a silverlight error. Tried updating, but no luck. I was logged into the game still, so maybe the combat log file was still in use, or maybe something else. Anyways, later on, it worked fine.

I tried to look up our log from last night, but couldn't find it with either my character name, or our guild name, so I figured maybe registering would be a good idea, however, when I clicked on the privacy policy, and the terms of use, it said "mr robot could not find the page you're looking for".

This indeed does look amazing, and these guys are trying really hard to make merging work. Unfortunately, it is just a huge pain to actually get all those different time stamps from different time zones to match up. I can never get logs for more than a couple players entered before phantom fights start showing up and things no longer line up. Once that happens, all kinds of weird numbers start appearing and I have to just upload the logs somewhere else to see what is happening individually.

Actual raid-wide logs from Bioware would be so much simpler, and allow the fine folks at sites like these to spend their time making their parsers better, not fighting against multiple combat logs with competing time stamps. The amount of time I had to spend last night compiling information for just ONE PULL of our 16 player hard mode attempts was amazing. It took about 3 hours to gather all the damage, healing, and damage taken data from one pull for 15 players and turn it into something mildly useful with my own spreadsheet.

With raid wide logs, I would have all that information almost instantly.

Caladex, you say Mr. Robot found 3 other guildie's logs in your first sentence. Are you saying it did it right, or wrong? (Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee today and my reading comprehension might be suffering)

Regarding uploading while the game is open, yeah that doesn't work because the file is 'in use.' Kind of annoying, but I don't think there is a way around that. As a side note, the reason that silverlight is nice is we can process the log on your computer then upload the parsed log to our servers. That saves on a LOT of processing, which keeps our costs low. That's nice because we can keep an entire history of logs, and not wipe them every month or so.

When you 'looked' for a log, where you using the character search box on our site? That box is only looking up characters for the character builder, not for logs (yet!). Do a search for 'zoopercat' - you'll see what shows up. If you are logged in when you upload a log, you'll see a list of all the logs. If you aren't logged in, you have to bookmark it. There's one more workaround if you're desparate (i've been there), you can type swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/ into the browser bar, and hope the history is there (see picture).

Regarding logging in: I just tried registering and it works. Does this happen repeatedly for you? If so, what browser and version are you using? I'll check it out.

Wugan - he's totally right, things get complicated with trying to match up logs often due to time differences on people's computers. We all need 007 synchronized watches... OR raid-wide logging from BW :)

Thorizdin: Can you give a specific scenario you want to see? That will help us spec the feature out right!

Caladex, you say Mr. Robot found 3 other guildie's logs in your first sentence. Are you saying it did it right, or wrong? (Sorry, I haven't had enough coffee today and my reading comprehension might be suffering)

It looked right to me. Nothing seemed in error, and the fights didn't seem weird. I was a little worried because they're all pst, and I'm est (and I selected est without thinking), but it seemed to work out.

When you 'looked' for a log, where you using the character search box on our site? That box is only looking up characters for the character builder, not for logs (yet!). Do a search for 'zoopercat' - you'll see what shows up. If you are logged in when you upload a log, you'll see a list of all the logs. If you aren't logged in, you have to bookmark it. There's one more workaround if you're desparate (i've been there), you can type swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/ into the browser bar, and hope the history is there (see picture).

Aye, the browser history had the combat log, ty.

Regarding logging in: I just tried registering and it works. Does this happen repeatedly for you? If so, what browser and version are you using? I'll check it out.

Registering didn't fail (I didn't try yet), it was clicking on the privacy policy and terms of use that went to an error page. I'm using firefox 11.0, and had adblock and noscript disabled.

Thorizdin: Can you give a specific scenario you want to see? That will help us spec the feature out right!

A user should able to see a report based on threat per ability similar to the current Damage Dealt. Other reports that would be good for tanks are mitigation and their source, for example Sonic Barrier provides Juggernauts with a 850 point damage absorption shield. If you look at the logs I uploaded for our last HM EV/KP run you can see that I had the Sonic Barrier effect applied 285 times but I can't tell how much damage was actually absorbed and how many of those shields were "wasted".

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/93e2bc17-8f9b-4ac2-81aa-bd652fddc78e#d=4

A threat over time comparison for all members of a raid would also be extremely helpful so we can see who, and why, is approaching the top of the threat table. This could even be done in the form of a color coded line graph showing the relative threat level of all the members of the raid.

Edited by thorizdin

Thorizdin, Thanks for the examples, those are helpful.

We'll take a look at threat-over-time, I can see how that would be useful, especially at the beginning of a fight to see how close the DPSers are to pulling aggro.

As for damage absorbed, that gets a little trickier, but we'll take a look :)

• 2 weeks later...

We released an update tonight:

• Added a guild-search feature, now you can look up logs from any guild.
  • Improved smart-merging logic to handle edge cases
  • Added the ability to edit or delete your log
  • Added 'ownership' to logs: if you upload it, you can edit or delete it, even for non-logged in users (as long as you use the same browser / computer, Mr. Robot will remember you)
  • Added the ability to remove someone's log from a group log, in case it messed things up
  • Added a new stat, "Active" - it shows the time you were alive
  • Made a video tour
  • These features are not applied to logs uploaded before April 29, but they are automatically applied to all future logs.

Yeah, I like this parser.

I'd like to be able to track the up-time on things like my Stim Boost and Kolto Probes on the tank or whoever (operative healer). Some sort of privacy option to limit the people who can see our logs would probably also be welcomed by some people. I bet there are some people who are "shy" and don't care to upload their logs where anyone could see them.

Sorry if these things already exist. I haven't had a ton of time to poke around yet. :]

Edited by belialle

Glad you like it!

We're actually working on a way to show DoT uptime, that was one of our favorite stats in WoL.

As for the privacy, the way to do it is not enter a guild name. Then the only way someone can see it is if you share the link with them. I can add that tip in my OP :)

I like your tool it looks great overall, but until you guys have an ability to synch and stream real time, it's too much of a pain to get all of the raiders to upload their logs afterwards. It's very easy with mox for me to give my raiders a key then they synch and I can monitor everyone mid fight.

What'd be pretty sweet is if you guys gave out unique IDs for each guild that registers and then allowed people to synch up and stream mid raid like Mox, so we could get some real time information. Then the rest of the features of your site would really shine.

I like how this is shaping up. Here are a few suggestions I have:

- I would like to see World Boss attempts identified and handled. Currently, logs of World Boss attempts are treated as "Generic Fight Data".

- It would also be nice to see PvP logs identified and broken out into individual Warzone runs. I know this is difficult, but I have noticed a few log events that might help with identifying individual Warzones. For instance, I see "Bolster", "Safe Login", "Deserter Detection", "Trauma (PVP)" and other such events in close proximity, which indicate new Warzone zone-ins and starts. Interestingly, Bolster seems to be applied even in the level 50 bracket.

Again, nice work so far.

Regarding MOX: We don't plan on building a live raid meter in the near future, perhaps further out. We're happy to integrate with any of the tools though :)

Mox made a fantastic parser and you should continue to use it. We look at it like this: MOX is like Recount in WoW (live-raid performance assessment), and we're like WoL (post-raid performance assessment / theorycrafting). There is a place for both. Unfortunately, any solution for SWTOR requires every raid member to participate. Mox requires everyone to download and set up the program, Ask Mr. Robot requires everyone to upload a log.

XORDYH - Funny you mention world bosses. I just finished confirming all world boss names (if we spell it wrong, it won't work, ha!). I believe we'll have an update later today with those bosses included :)

Regarding PVP... What is 'bolster' for? Is it unique to PVP? "Safe Immunity" won't work, since you get that every time you zone into an instance (PVP or PVE). I'll do a few PVP rounds today and see if I can isolate some of the events and put some logic around them. I think the harder part will be when to consider the warzone over. I also want to spend more time on this, because I feel like you'd want to see different stats on PVP reports... for example you care more about damage mitigation a lot, and threat doesn't matter at all.

Regarding PVP... What is 'bolster' for? Is it unique to PVP? "Safe Immunity" won't work, since you get that every time you zone into an instance (PVP or PVE). I'll do a few PVP rounds today and see if I can isolate some of the events and put some logic around them. I think the harder part will be when to consider the warzone over. I also want to spend more time on this, because I feel like you'd want to see different stats on PVP reports... for example you care more about damage mitigation a lot, and threat doesn't matter at all.

Bolster information: http://taugrim.com/2011/12/27/understanding-swtors-bolster-mechanic/. To summarize, Bolster is a unique Warzone feature that equalizes everyone's base stats (in the levels 10-49 bracket) up to the equivalent of a level 49 character. Originally, all of the PvP (levels 10-50) were in a single bracket, but this has been broken into a levels 10-49 and a level 50 bracket since patch 1.1. The Bolster buff shouldn't do anything in the level 50 bracket, but it still appears in the combat logs for level 50 characters (from what I've seen).

One difficulty I can see in tracking individual Warzone games will be characters entering after a Warzone has started or leaving before one has ended. However, since there will be a "Safe Login" event for each zone-in, you could search for a "Safe Login" event with a matching "Bolster" or "Deserter Detection" event within a short time of each other and be fairly certain that that "Safe Login" was a character entering a Warzone. As far as determining when a character has left a Warzone, you could look for the next "Safe Login" event, which will always be the character zoning back to Fleet (or wherever they where when they entered the Warzone). It is never possible to zone directly from one Warzone to another, so a PvP log will always look like <Safe Login> (Warzone start) <bunch of fighting> (Warzone end) <Safe Login> (back to Fleet) <Safe Login> (Warzone start) <bunch of fighting> <Safe Login> (back to Fleet) etc.

XOR, nice link to taugrim, he's one of my favorite PVP sources :)

Hmmm, so the safe login doesn't have a zone attached, but you're not suggesting that it does. So let me rephrase and see if I understand: Your idea is to look for <safe login> <bolster> death, then rezone in would look like : <safe login><bolster> repeat. repeat, repeat... until we see <safe login> and no bolster. Is that correct?

Now it makes sense why you said there appears to be a bolster event in level 50 only warzones.

Edited by Zoopercat

Getting everyone to download a tool and synch to the raid is very easy, getting them all to upload nightly isn't.

Make a tool that's a one button press upload for raiders, and you'll be gold.

i dont know,people cant seem to figure out that deleting there rakghoul samples would stop people getting the rakghoul plague

i think getting a bunch of people to learn how to type in a web adress and download something might be to challenging for the sw tor community