Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"DPS" is for wow: "DD" = Damage Dealer for SW:TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"DPS" is for wow: "DD" = Damage Dealer for SW:TOR

Thorkir
12.18.2011 , 12:33 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Turukano View Post
HEY. I just got used to not calling the jedi knight the paladin. Give me a bit to change lingos.
I still catch myself referring to my Sorcerer as a priest. >.>
"All will be well."

Szeph
12.18.2011 , 12:34 PM | #22
Been playing mmo's for about 8 years now and the first time i ever heard of DD was in rift ,was told it was an russian thing lol.

(played EvE ,Lotro ,Aion ,WoW ,War and Rift.)

Trevalon
12.18.2011 , 12:36 PM | #23
the term DPS has been around since before even MMO's - This is a universal term and should always remain the term used.

Worst thing ever is when ******** game devs try to change MMO staples (Like chat colors? ***? everyone knows that Purple is tell, Blue is group, Green is guild - Why are you changing this?)

Shandarin
12.18.2011 , 12:38 PM | #24
OP, you're wrong, as usual.

The term DPS has been around a lot longer than using DD. Everytime I saw the term DD, I was lead to believe it was someone joking about bra cup size, not damage dealing. I've been playing MMOs since Everquest first came out, cutting into UO's market and taking a fair share of people due to it being connected to Sony and its FF franchise, and the term DD was obsolete then. Quit acting elitist and being that "special snowflake", because you're not.

DPS is here to stay. Period.

Mamono
12.18.2011 , 12:39 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Narwan View Post
DPS = is from way before wows time, and DD is Direct damage which would confuse people if you used ii in place of dps.
Actually, you are wrong. DD means "Damage Dealer".

As for DPS and DD.
WoW is the one who made "dps" famous. DD kinda drowned. A few other games before WoW did use DPS but where not effecting the rest of the world like what WoW did.

I prefear using DD because it is more correct.

LF1M Damage Dealer. vs LF1M Damage per second.

Magnijung
12.18.2011 , 12:40 PM | #26
NO!!!!!!!! This is Star Wars. We should use PP or SS. Pewwww Pewwww or Shhhweee Shhhweee

Reverse
12.18.2011 , 12:43 PM | #27
Uhhh, yeah... I think I'll keep calling it dps. Sorry, buddy.

Mamono
12.18.2011 , 12:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Szeph View Post
Been playing mmo's for about 8 years now and the first time i ever heard of DD was in rift ,was told it was an russian thing lol.

(played EvE ,Lotro ,Aion ,WoW ,War and Rift.)
All the games you are writing down there have come out after WoW, escept for EvE (if im not mistaking.).

What the point is that WoW has made the "dps" effect on all the games do to its size.
DD where used in the old games like EverQuest, Earth & Beyond etc. DPS where more or less intordused trough WoW and pased over to other games and is now being used as the "universal" word for "damage dealer".
A lot of words has been lost do to "modernization" of the language.

Remember the other day in Rift I said. "Hold back, I will do a LoS pull".
People whent: What? LoS? What is LoS?
I whent /faceslap.

zechio
12.18.2011 , 12:44 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Finaly View Post
excuse me sir but that is not correckt....

i have been playing mmos over 10 years - **** i got old - and damage dealing classes were always called DD

DPS gained popularity after parsers *damage meters* were used and therefor people started to ask for DPS... but if you look at EQ/EQ2/VG people still tend to ask for a DD instead of a DPS
Ehh...partially right.

EQ had combat logs and parsers, as such: DPS was used quite frequently as well. Post EQ definitely used it quite a bit.

As previously mentioned, DD stood for Direct Damage, AKA Nuke. So, both terms existed, and were used, in EQ...this was likely largely server dependent.

That being said: All I saw in EQ2 was DPS. As well as every MMO I touched after that, from LoTRO, WAR, and about a dozen others.
Dark Lord Zemerick, Leader of Imperium Inferi, and destroyer of hope.

Remember the cookie!

zechio
12.18.2011 , 12:49 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mamono View Post
Actually, you are wrong. DD means "Damage Dealer".

As for DPS and DD.
WoW is the one who made "dps" famous. DD kinda drowned. A few other games before WoW did use DPS but where not effecting the rest of the world like what WoW did.

I prefear using DD because it is more correct.

LF1M Damage Dealer. vs LF1M Damage per second.
Acronyms can mean more than 1 thing. This confusion right here is probably a large part of why DD was phased out...and it happened during EQ1 as well. I started with Velious, and I have always known my wizard to be DPS who does Direct Damage ( DD ) / Nukes.

That being said, the role wasn't used anywhere near as much in EQ due to the vast differences in classes...most people just said their class. Wiz lfg, etc.

If you really want to go away from DPS, try using "DMG". That will avoid any confusion like you are seeing here as it's both clear what it means even if you dont know older acronyms, and it is differentiated from others.
Dark Lord Zemerick, Leader of Imperium Inferi, and destroyer of hope.

Remember the cookie!