Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"DPS" is for wow: "DD" = Damage Dealer for SW:TOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"DPS" is for wow: "DD" = Damage Dealer for SW:TOR

Togx
12.18.2011 , 12:05 PM | #11
While we're at it, let's go back to saying PBAoE

Caelrie
12.18.2011 , 12:06 PM | #12
I'm not going to change 15 years of game terminology simply because you think WoW invented it and you have WoWophobia.

Israel
12.18.2011 , 12:06 PM | #13
I like saying DPS. Sorry.
!!█!█!█!█[]█!█!!▐!▓▓▓ Achiever: 107%, Killer: 53%, Socializer: 33%, Explorer: 13% ▓▓▓▓)

Colobulous
12.18.2011 , 12:06 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Caelrie View Post
I'm not going to change 15 years of game terminology simply because you think WoW invented it and you have WoWophobia.
I am, because the OP is clearly more important than the rest of us, since the universe clearly revolves around them.

Serverlag
12.18.2011 , 12:07 PM | #15
DPS = Damage per second.

abbreviation used in every MMO for, guess what...

time to wake up.
Derec - SWG Chimaera
ReDevils [rDe]
www.redevils.se

Caelrie
12.18.2011 , 12:10 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Colobulous View Post
I am, because the OP is clearly more important than the rest of us, since the universe clearly revolves around them.
This community has more of that type of player than any MMORPG I've ever played. A LOT more.

CharagonIGN
12.18.2011 , 12:14 PM | #17
Want me to blow your mind...

Officially, WoW uses the term "Damage Dealer". Both in their forums and in-game.

jonostar
12.18.2011 , 12:16 PM | #18
DPS has nothing to do with wow. I've been using the term since I played Everquest so I'm going to stick with it thank you very much.

Finaly
12.18.2011 , 12:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
If you say DD, I am not going to know what you are talking about.

DPS is part of the parlance. If you think it's just a WoW thing, you haven't been affiliated with the genre for long, I guess.

excuse me sir but that is not correckt....

i have been playing mmos over 10 years - **** i got old - and damage dealing classes were always called DD

DPS gained popularity after parsers *damage meters* were used and therefor people started to ask for DPS... but if you look at EQ/EQ2/VG people still tend to ask for a DD instead of a DPS

KnightFireX
12.18.2011 , 12:30 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by GreySquall View Post
Ok everyone, I understand that tank and healer are pretty much self explanatory...but the term "DPS" is just a little too "WoW" for me. I say we decide as a group to say "DD" = Damage Dealer. I for one don't want to feel like im just playing space age WoW, and this is one way to help make that distinction.

Support an independent era...say "DD"!! Keep this on the first page so everyone gets the word.
DPS is pretty universal and not just a WoW term. I've played other games and used the term including the old books and paper days of Dungeons and Dragons.
Princess Leia: Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder.
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking?