Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Learn how to read those.

Doesn't say anything about the number of subs they have now. And they will try to cover the real ones as long as possible... The stockholders don't really care about fan-boys and how they like the game :p

You should learn how to read it yourself. It says active subscriptions as of the date the information was gathered, meaning here and in the now, not what they use to have. Stockholders don't really care about the trolls and haters that despise the game and declare it the "Tortanic" despite all of the factual evidence presented proving otherwise.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recall also that if EA says 2 million sold, it usually means 2 million shipped to retailers (as that means EA has sold the units), not 2 million in the hands of players (meaning Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon, Steam, etc.) have sold their units. That probably gets skewed a bit by direct digital downloads from Steam the leak. But in any case out of ~2 million units sold by EA to retailers, they have ~1.7 million active subs. That's pretty solid.

That is ACTIVE subscription. Post free month. Read the actual thing.

Over 2 million sold and 1.7 million have subbed passed their free month...

When you consider that a majority of WoWs active subs are asian gold farmers, I can't help but wonder if TOR has officially de-throned WoW in terms of active US/European subscribers.

Today is a good day, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

Improv-, good sir, do you know how branding works?

Seeing as these numbers are highly because of branding (it being Star Wars and it being created by BioWare).

Once the effect of said branding wears off, the numbers will drop.

I fully understand why you're proud of the said numbers, seeing as they are quite high, but a huge chunk of those numbers are simply nothing else, but a victim of branding.

Very surprising numbers. Hopefully the rest of the bored angry nerds will leave soon and they'll consolidate servers into more populated communities. Can't wait :)

They got my 2x 6 months subs and I can't wait to see all the content, features and fixes.

Edited by Xzenorath

You just hate this game so much that you want to spin anything into something negative.

Oh well you are the one with such a boring life that you have nothing better to do than troll a game you don't like.

I laugh at your attempt to put words in my mouth. You don't know my stance at all. I have an active 6 month sub to show my support for the game. Sorry I'm not one to just sit and accept everything that is said by a company in the business of making money at any cost. Maybe you should be the one with a tin foil hat and your ideas of how we are all out to get the game.

You just hate this game so much that you want to spin anything into something negative.

Oh well you are the one with such a boring life that you have nothing better to do than troll a game you don't like.

I don't think very many people, even those who hate the game, want it to fail. We all paid for it (hell I paid for the game and a 6 month subscription) and would like to see Bioware do well enough with it to have the money to improve the game.

Edit: That said, I find it very hard to believe these numbers unless they were taken before the free month ended. 90-100% retention just doesn't happen, no matter how good an MMO is.

Edited by Mekrath

Seeing as these numbers are highly because of branding (it being Star Wars and it being created by BioWare).

I fully understand why you're proud of the said numbers, seeing as they are quite high, but a huge chunk of those numbers are simply nothing else, but a victim of branding.

If it was merely branding a lot more would have dropped off after the free month.

My gf and I don't even like Star Wars much. Neither of us have seen the movies but we like the game and have each gone for 3 month subscriptions.

So no it's not just branding.

peak time the game has Full, Very Heavy, and Heavy servers don't lie.

Not everyone logs in at the same time genious.

Again another conspiracy nut who thinks EA just lied to all its investors. High fives. Here is your tin foil hat.

lol you honestly believe a multi million dollar company won't falsify financial reports to investors in order for them to invest more money. Are you serious?

Edited by Meluna

LOL seriously finding anything to rebut facts.

That's pretty good retention rate. You expect everyone to resub?

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

why are there people facepalming and all that?

I'll tell you why..they expected the game to fail and were the same doomsdayers that said this game will have no more than 200,000 subs after 30 days are up...

and now that stuff like that didnt happen and the game is growing and growing...THEY CAN'T TAKE THEY WERE WRONG!

Yeah i know the company says the game is thriving and people are increasing. Now in game the players notice mass exodus guilds are empty no server is heavy most are in the yellow or green. You have a flist of over 50 people who don't log in anymore. Shouts to form high level Fp go from 15-20 min to form to over an hour if at all...but the game is thriving. Most 3 prty forums and even this forum is filled pissed off customers but the game has people subbing by the massed lmao gfto. Post a report and people will believe anything.

I have no idea what server you are on but krath is always active, I haven't any problems finding groups. In fact I was in typhon the other day, and there were 70+ people on the planet. It sounds to me maybe some imps are rerolling, or people playing alts after 50.

Calm down brosef, every single mmo forum on earth looks just like the swtor forums, complainers, whiners. People who feel their sub matters.

yes you could say the same about wow when it lauched. i dont see the real issue here. as a brand lasts way more then a game.

I have no idea what server you are on but krath is always active, I haven't any problems finding groups. In fact I was in typhon the other day, and there were 70+ people on the planet. It sounds to me maybe some imps are rerolling, or people playing alts after 50.

yeah im pretty sure my server incrised in population.

Edited by Spartanik

Translation for those who are too busy assuaging their confirmation bias against this game:

"Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers and growing." "

This means there are, as of the date of that statement, i.e., TODAY, $1.7M active subscribers.

"Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

This means that from the date of release, 12/20/12, it sold 2M units. Coupling that with CURRENT active subscriptions of 1.7M means about 300K didn't stick around. Tthat's 15% attrition, which is NOT a giant sign that the game is failing...nor is it a very high attrition rate. Moreover, you can't tell anything about it without trend lines to show when the attrition took place. Is it steady from the get-go and therefore representative of what percentage of the population who buys the game is likely to stick with it? You just can't know what it really shows, and Occam's Razor would suggest it really just means that probably about 15% of the people who buy it will decide it's not really for them. Not bad...in fact, 85% retention is actually a fantastic number.

Do you guys need help with Engrish?

Hmmm they closed my thread on the stock falling hard lately and reason why saying this thread was to be used /shrug

Here is my original post ... Closing threads that are fairly different and have only one thing is common is pretty heavy handed spin control IMHO

Here is OP......

EA continues its downward spiral

Investors are not happy

1.6 billion estimated revenue with actual coming in just over a billion

SWTOR negative press I'm sure is not helping matters

And as long as DEVs here continue to appear to be frozen with inaction on crucial aspects of this game I'm sure subscribers will continue to flee and the stock will plummet further

FIX PvP and the plethora of other bugs in this game !!!

Your very lucky this is "star wars" if it were generic title most would have already left

Star wars name will only keep people here so long though

Side note: it appears 15 percent of people who bought game did not subscribe

This figure does not include the amount that did subscribe and are not renewing will have to wait for 2nd quarter to see the fallout of people quiting game

Source : 2 million units sold retail .... 1.7 million subs

No reason to spin it, it's a quarter ending December 31 recap. At that point, everyone who activated a code was in their free month and could be considered a subscriber. The important numbers will some out in a few months, telling us how many subscriptions they retained.
LOL

If everyone was in their free month, and every copy sold has a free month.

Why 1.7m subscribers with 2m copies sold? ;)

Guessing 300k found a way to cancel their free month?

Some common sense and a bit of reading comprehension when trying to trololol please.

Edited by OkuKeelus

No reason to spin it, it's a quarter ending December 31 recap. At that point, everyone who activated a code was in their free month and could be considered a subscriber. The important numbers will some out in a few months, telling us how many subscriptions they retained.

are you dense or just cant read , by your logic it would be 2 million , how could they lose 300k subs in the free month?

why are there people facepalming and all that?

I'll tell you why..they expected the game to fail and were the same doomsdayers that said this game will have no more than 200,000 subs after 30 days are up...

and now that stuff like that didnt happen and the game is growing and growing...THEY CAN'T TAKE THEY WERE WRONG!

^This.

85% of people who bought TOR decided to re-up.

TORtanic, what?

Hmmm they closed my thread on the stock falling hard lately and reason why saying this thread was to be used /shrug

Here is my original post ... Closing threads that are fairly different and have only one thing is common is pretty heavy handed spin control IMHO

Here is OP......

EA continues its downward spiral

Investors are not happy

1.6 billion estimated revenue with actual coming in just over a billion

SWTOR negative press I'm sure is not helping matters

And as long as DEVs here continue to appear to be frozen with inaction on crucial aspects of this game I'm sure subscribers will continue to flee and the stock will plummet further

FIX PvP and the plethora of other bugs in this game !!!

Your very lucky this is "star wars" if it were generic title most would have already left

Star wars name will only keep people here so long though

Side note: it appears 15 percent of people who bought game did not subscribe

This figure does not include the amount that did subscribe and are not renewing will have to wait for 2nd quarter to see the fallout of people quiting game

Source : 2 million units sold retail .... 1.7 million subs

and still nobody cares

While that's true... it does not mean they are going to say we have 1.7 million subs while they actually only have 500k subs?

Do you think companies would be stupid enough to do such a thing with SEC and the government hounding their backs?

It's a different world we live in. Embellishment can only go so far.

lol you honestly believe a multi million dollar company won't falsify financial reports to investors in order for them to invest more money. Are you serious?
Edited by Meluna

The 1.7 million includes people still on free month.

The company launched “Star Wars” in late December, and reported it has sold through more than 2 million units of the game and now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Provided there isn't any massaging of the overall number it's not a bad figure.

That is ACTIVE subscription. Post free month. Read the actual thing.

Over 2 million sold and 1.7 million have subbed passed their free month...

considering those number have not yet been disclosed I find it hard to rationalize this comment and thread.