Expectations Too Lofty?

Zathrius

TL;DR:

Back from 2-year hiatus. Played a little, saw performance kinda improved, but a ton of FPS drops in congested areas. Saw in earlier patch notes that performance optimizations were made, but... it feels about the same as it did 2 years ago, so what exactly was done?

Edited by Zathrius
Shortening

TL;DR:

Back from 2-year hiatus. Played a little, saw performance kinda improved, but a ton of FPS drops in congested areas. Saw in earlier patch notes that performance optimizations were made, but... it feels about the same as it did 2 years ago, so what exactly was done?

Did you delete the too long part that people might not have read?

But yeah: lower your expectations about this game. And then some more.

Edited by JattaGin

TL;DR:

They improved the performance, then soaked up the extra performance by prettifying the display.

FPS drops in congested areas are an inevitable consequence of the area being, well, congested, with lots of players around (the game client has more things to keep track of, even if those other players aren't actually visible because they are behind walls or rocks or trees or buildings or you. There are things that can be done to mitigate the effect, but there *are* limits to what you can achieve.

TL;DR:

bioware has tried to optimize things but truthfully, it's still uses a highly modified hero engine and it's not been good since day one release.

it's caused more trouble than it was ever worth in various ways through the years. As long as this game runs the hero engine, lower your expectations.

Would those 'congested areas' happen to include Coruscant, Dromund Kaas and Nar Shaddaa? Because there's actually been a distinct lag problem on those planets the last few weeks that some players have theorized may have been connected to the Life Day Event (and all the Gift Droids, holo-trees, et al that were added during such), but it seems to still be on-going despite the event's end...

Yes, I shrunk the post because I thought maybe I was saying too much, when I could have just condensed everything into what it is now.

Also, to the previous post: anywhere that loads in many things as you move, such as the Fleet. It was the same on Korriban, oddly enough, but then... there were actually a lot of people around. All else fails, I learned of the magic of instance-hopping. Temp fix to frame drops, but I'll take whatever.

Edited by Zathrius
Blah