Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

its fun reading this topic. someone already posted this but seems like its being ignored.

1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

That was me, posting from another thread. Thank you!

Bringing reason to discussions since 2008.

Edited by Dezzi

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which was released TODAY. What's so hard for you to understand about that? Just bugs you to no end that SWTOR is kicking butt? Do you have a sad that it's not failing? Here:

you can haz tissue.

Wow, you really can't see it? I'm amazed actually. lolololol

I really don't care either way. If I was wrong I would be perfectly fine with it. I have no "hatred"of SWTOR. I have no dark desires to see it's demise. It's just really sad when people go off the rails from not exercising proper reading comprehension.

You can be sued if you LIE to them, not if you present numbers in favorable light.

here http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fraud.htm

specifically the second line -

In a broad strokes definition, fraud is a deliberate misrepresentation which causes another person to suffer damages, usually monetary losses. Most people consider the act of lying to be fraudulent, but in a legal sense lying is only one small element of actual fraud. A salesman may lie about his name, eye color, place of birth and family, but as long as he remains truthful about the product he sells, he will not be found guilty of fraud. There must be a deliberate misrepresentation of the product's condition and actual monetary damages must occur.

The quotes are from a document that was written awhile ago, and pertaining to the quarter ending Dec 31, 2011.

You are really dense.

The quotes are from the CALL today, not just the the quarterly report.

It is clear you have never invested or participated in any of these calls before.

its fun reading this topic. someone already posted this but seems like its being ignored.

1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

What that means to me is retention is probably closer to 70% from launch vs. the 85% it appears to be. Regardless even if 70% that's pretty darn high.

here http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fraud.htm

specifically the second line -

In a broad strokes definition, fraud is a deliberate misrepresentation which causes another person to suffer damages, usually monetary losses. Most people consider the act of lying to be fraudulent, but in a legal sense lying is only one small element of actual fraud. A salesman may lie about his name, eye color, place of birth and family, but as long as he remains truthful about the product he sells, he will not be found guilty of fraud. There must be a deliberate misrepresentation of the product's condition and actual monetary damages must occur.

What is harmful is stating that TOR sold 2 millions copies and got 1.7 million accounts activated ?

I bought after the first 30 days. So i'm in the category who's paid plans has not kick in. But there's way more paid subscribers than people who bought the game later like myself.

I know eh? It's always pretty scary when you see so many people so blind they can't read properly.

From the article:

"Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

If the numbers were Dec 31st then the "a little over one month" part would make no sense at all since the game would have only been up and running for about 2 weeks.

However, if he's talking about the state of things as oftoday, then "a little over one month" does indeed make sense.

Edited by ptwonline

Tor was launched on the 20th december.

The 30 days free month thus ended....10 days ago.

Unless EA have way, way, way better accountants than anyone else, I strongly doubt that this report, for logical reasons, was made only 10 days ago.

The Q3 earnings report has numbers as of December 31st. The numbers being discussed were from their live conference call, which may still be going on (I signed off about 20 minutes ago) and as has been noted, were discussing current numbers, as part of their discussion of how well SWTOR was doing and how it had driven the Q3 numbers and would (in theory) help drive the Q4 ones.

I agree the sub numbers are from dec 31st and not from today. it says on the chart that the quater ended in 12/21/11. I would guess by the 25th of this month swtor will be at probably 500K subs. Which is a great number for any mmo. WoW wanted to hit 100K when they released the game for the first year.

Wrong.

It already has more subs.

From the call:

Q: Are these 1.7 subscribers paying?

A: Active subscribers means anyone paying OR in their trial period. MOST of those 1.7m are paying at this point

Most of those are paying, so your saying TOR will drop 1.2m subs for your estimate?

Edited by darthdoll

You can be sued if you LIE to them, not if you present numbers in favorable light.

Saying you CURRENTLY have 1.7M active subscriptions in a report released on February 1, 2012 is a LIE any way you slice it if the number you give is actually from DEcember 31, 2011. What's hard to understand about that? This report was released TODAY, not on December 31, 2011...it takes them a whle to work up the numbers and language for releasing the quarterly reports, which by the way, always contain some statement about the RIGHT NOW of the company's product and health and some statement about predictions going forward.

What is harmful is stating that TOR sold 2 millions copies and got 1.7 million accounts activated ?

Depends on what you think they're lying about. If they are saying 1.7 million accounts activated and the first month isn't 1.7 million accounts of revenue, then that could be a case of misrepresentation.

Okay, let me check this up

You really think that the CEO of EA called Bioware and asked at 9:00am today a figure of the active subs ? Because that's what you seem to think about the ''today'' figure.

I think the CEO of EA already knew about it. Generally calls is more for investors.

From the article:

"Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

If the numbers were Dec 31st then the "a little over one month" part would make no sense at all since the game would have only been up and running for about 2 weeks.

However, if he's talking about the state of things as oftoday, then "a little over one month" does indeed make sense.

Hehe... im enjoying their desperation though.

ZOMG, we were dumb when we predicted doom and gloom for the game! Quick! Make something up!

Edited by Nemmar

Saying you CURRENTLY have 1.7M active subscriptions in a report released on February 1, 2012 is a LIE any way you slice it if the number you give is actually from DEcember 31, 2011. What's hard to understand about that? This report was released TODAY, not on December 31, 2011...it takes them a whle to work up the numbers and language for releasing the quarterly reports, which by the way, always contain some statement about the RIGHT NOW of the company's product and health and some statement about predictions going forward.

I'm pretty sure that it's pefectly legal to present to your investors data old from 2 weeks.

The fanatism on this board is just incredible.

This whole discussion about the meaning of "current" is ridiculous. Of course does current mean today and of course is EA not going to lie in such an obvious way.

Problem is that

a) Everybody assumes that people started playing between Christmas and New Year. This is highly unlikely for the majority of people

b) There are more copies sold that are not counted in the retail distribution channels

The only thing we know is that 300k probably sold but where not activated or day 1 people unsubbed.

Edited by TheDevilHimself

The test isn't launch.

The test isn't the next month after launch.

The test is 3-6 months down the road.

Did you keep your launch population and continue to grow? Or did you fall into the pattern of every MMORPG after WoW, in which 70% of launch population is gone and subs are static/declining.

No AAA MMORPG has been able to break that barrier. Not one.

Will SWTOR? Maybe. I doubt it though. It's more of the same.

Edited by daays

The Q3 earnings report has numbers as of December 31st. The numbers being discussed were from their live conference call, which may still be going on (I signed off about 20 minutes ago) and as has been noted, were discussing current numbers, as part of their discussion of how well SWTOR was doing and how it had driven the Q3 numbers and would (in theory) help drive the Q4 ones.
The article was out before the "live conference call" happened.

READ for crying out loud. Done here lolololol. :rolleyes:

You really think that the CEO of EA called Bioware and asked at 9:00am today a figure of the active subs ? Because that's what you seem to think about the ''today'' figure.

Yes, I do. That's precisely the kind of thing that would take pace in preparation for this kind of report and the associated conference call. NExt question....

Wouldn't surprise me if Exec Mgmt gets a DAILY report on sub numbers. With the amount of focus on this game you can bet they are all over the sub numbers.