the future of war.

Tachenko_Yuri

So, dread masters aside, we left imperials and republics striving in a arms race for a little substance called iso-5 which should turn the war in favour of whoever gets it.

Around april of last year.

Dunno if bioware doesn't know how to let the actual war proceed, but here's an idea on how do to decide who the tide will turn in favour, and against.

Race to isotope 5!

A race in who ever gets the most iso-5, wins the next chapter of the war to go in their favour! but this can't be just a server thing, oh noes. This will be a TOR-wide competition, all servers, of all the countries.

How would it work.

A dropbox will be put on fleet. And folks drop in there their isotope-5. Whichever faction drops in there the most iso-5 wins the compo for their server.

Earning the isotope-5 (PVE)

Couple of new ways:

Start putting single vials as rewards for doing weekly ops, drops from hm ops even.

a much larger of iso-5 drop from the Toborro's Courtyard OP ( it is said in the briefing, the mercs were holding a *Large* quantity of iso-5 )

Random drops from Elite type mobs throughout the Czerka,Oricon and makeb daily areas.

Earning the iso-5 (PVP)

I don't pvp at all, so if someone would like to devise a way in which to insert the pvp aspect of the game into this race, by all means, help me out :)

end of the day

The folks @bw will sum up all the vials of all the republic factions in all the servers, same for imperial.

Who tallied the most gets to boot the other side in the next story arc :)

A way to somehow, shape ourselves the future of the war :)

Isotope-5 for normal pvp comms.

Same as you get it for Basic comms.

A good idea, what would be the benefits of the winning faction? I say a weekly xp boost or something, 10% more xp from everything idk

Edited by Rileysoph

That's a great idea with a lot of possibilities. Perhaps the winning faction receives a 5% damage boost in op's, fp's, and a hp boost in pvp due to the new and improved isotope tech. (For a limited time of course) A fine idea.

Interesting idea. However, how many % of the players actually play the content you would need to do in order to get isotope-5? Also, how many players throw away their valuable isotope-5 just so that the story continues? Even I, as someone who mainly plays for the story and lore, would rather make credits or items with my isotope-5 than to drop it in a box without knowing if this would make any difference at all.

The idea in itself sounds nice.... but I do see a few flaws...

1. Most servers are seeing a notable difference in faction population. As I read the above, the repetitive nature of donating isotope-5 is clearly favoring the faction with the higher numbers. 1000 people will gather more iso-5 than 850 will, even if each individual player shows the same effort... even if the smaller faction is showing more effort. This could be countered by weighing the effort by the team size, but that would then make it unfair for the larger team (more people would need to spend more total hours of gametime to achieve the same result).

2. the team effort also rises a team pressure. Without doubt there will be players, who just do not want to contribute to the effort... and there will be others, who actively blame them for it.

3. A reward that makes OPs or dailys easier will automatically make it easier to win the "next round".... creating a circle, where the side, that won first and second round, will by default win any round.

Edited by JPryde

Isotope-5 for normal pvp comms.

Same as you get it for Basic comms.

A good idea, what would be the benefits of the winning faction? I say a weekly xp boost or something, 10% more xp from everything idk

the benefits of the winning faction, along with possibilities in boosts of various nature, would be bioware making the story advance, in favour of the faction who wins the competition :) as in the other getting a solid defeat which could involve a key character e.i. a victorious empire gets to kill satele or a victorious republic gets to kill darthmarr :)

Interesting idea. However, how many % of the players actually play the content you would need to do in order to get isotope-5? Also, how many players throw away their valuable isotope-5 just so that the story continues? Even I, as someone who mainly plays for the story and lore, would rather make credits or items with my isotope-5 than to drop it in a box without knowing if this would make any difference at all.

That is a valid point. It would have to be some new token that is not used for crafting or anything else. The alternative, i.e. rewarding those that give up their Isotope-5 with credits, which would make sense story-wise for smugglers, but not so much for troopers, wouldn't work either, because crafters would simply offer more and players would be willing to pay more for the crafted items.

Also, the faction imbalance (worldwide) would have to be accounted for. I don't have any numbers, but I imagine it's not 50/50 Reps/Imps.

Finding a suitable reward for the winner (and loser?) is not an easy task I imagine. But I do like the idea, so I'll throw in some rewards that I can think of:

- Title: War effort contributor - given to anyone who puts in at least x vials

- Title: War asset - given to anyone who puts in at least y vials

- Title: Liability - given to anyone who has looted at least 1 vial of Iso-5 but given 0 to the war effort

- Title: Spectator - given to anyone who has not looted at least 1 vial of Iso-5 during the event

Credits are always nice. I don't think giving XP boosts or stat increase in PVP is a good idea, though. Unless, there are rewards for the losing side if they win a PvP match against the winning side despite of the stat boost.

Uh...I'd rather not see anything advanced in-game based upon faction balance...Imperials already won the good fight...they shoot freaking LIGHTNING while Pubs throw a handful of pebbles....

Earth defeats lightning just as much as paper beats rock. Lightning is powerful, but when was the last time the Earth blew up due to a little lightning. The Republic has perpetuated the lies that lightning is more powerful than pebbles because it garners them sympathy with the galaxy and lulls the Empire into a false sense of security. Open your eyes community! Before it is too late! :eek:

Earth defeats lightning just as much as paper beats rock. Lightning is powerful, but when was the last time the Earth blew up due to a little lightning. The Republic has perpetuated the lies that lightning is more powerful than pebbles because it garners them sympathy with the galaxy and lulls the Empire into a false sense of security. Open your eyes community! Before it is too late! :eek:

However, lightning has multiple uses. I can use it to start a fire, warm a hotdog, light the dark, stop my dog from relieving himself on the carpet...pebbles just...sit there..."oh, but they can be used to pave a road" SCREW THAT! Lightning can SCORCH the Earth below my feet to make a flipping road!

However, lightning has multiple uses. I can use it to start a fire, warm a hotdog, light the dark, stop my dog from relieving himself on the carpet...pebbles just...sit there..."oh, but they can be used to pave a road" SCREW THAT! Lightning can SCORCH the Earth below my feet to make a flipping road!

Yes, but just like paper you need to mold earth into a weapon capable of striking down lightning. A paper defeats rock by covering it, but can only do so with some kinetic energy. Earth defeats lightning in the same way. Lightning strikes and scorches earth, but all earth has to do is shuffle around and BAM! good as new. This leads me to my next topic of discussion! Why kinetic energy should affect force powers! I will post my thesis now and will provide no tldr.

*assassinated by Bioware*

Oh and to stay on topic yes this sounds interesting, but definitely faction imbalance will cause issues. Nonetheless I would love to see an attempt at stuff like this.

Edited by Rasen

Lightning vs. Rock is a diversion of the thread. Perhaps if you guys want to debate that you can start your own instead of hijacking this one?

The faction imbalance definitely would require some consideration before any concept like the one presented here could be implemented.

The easiest way would seem to be a weighting system that would afford a multiplier to the lower population faction (which, let's face it, would likely always be the Republic). So if every Republic contribution was worth 1.75 times an Imperial contribution (or, obviously, whatever the specific server population difference % is) then at least you'd get a fair and reasonable competition on the server...