There is no maxing out our characters for players who have lives outside the game

ClaudeTaylor

Again Ea/Bio has made this game where someone with a job cant get the materials needed to max out our characters. I hope they know this makes people not wont to play. This happened (not quite the same way) back when Rishi came out. It forced me to quit! When I came back I found that the materials dropped more frequently so I started subbing again. At this point im leaning towards quitting again. I have no way to get these materials, so! Whats the point in subbing or playing, when your the low man on the totem pole, due to lack of materials?

What can't you get exactly? Ossus gives you plenty of ways to get crystals and gear easily. You can upgrade every piece of that 252 gear you get there to 258 gear easily, with the exception of the MH/OH. It literally takes less than 20 min a day to get a piece of gear AND at least 1-2 crystals... (weekly piece of gear) Edited by TUXs

What can't you get exactly? Ossus gives you plenty of ways to get crystals and gear easily. You can upgrade every piece of that 252 gear you get there to 258 gear easily, with the exception of the MH/OH. It literally takes less than 20 min a day to get a piece of gear AND at least 1-2 crystals... (weekly piece of gear)

Thanks for replying :-) Its not the gear. Its stuff like Charged Matter Transubstantiators, Encrypted memory cores and stuff like that. Dont get me wrong I play as much as I can, on several characters and these items just wont drop for me. Ive had 2 of each for 6 or 7 months.

Edited by ClaudeTaylor

You're quite right OP. The gearing is a joke.

But honestly unless you're doing NiM raiding, you can deal with BiS 248 until they release the new set of gear in like 6.0. lol

What can't you get exactly? Ossus gives you plenty of ways to get crystals and gear easily. You can upgrade every piece of that 252 gear you get there to 258 gear easily, with the exception of the MH/OH. It literally takes less than 20 min a day to get a piece of gear AND at least 1-2 crystals... (weekly piece of gear)

Lets see, I've been playing Ossus since it launched & I'm not yet full 258's on one toon.

Granted I learned a better way to get gear since I started but no it's NOT easy as you make it out to be.

On one toon you can only get guaranteed 1 box of Gear that is up to RNG to get what you need & 1 crystal from killing both WBs. (Unless you PvP, you cant get enough UC's to trade in so that's not guaranteed.)

Now you can also get 1 more Crystal if the "Timed Weekly" is something you can complete.

As in OP's case, if they don't have time to play much in the week, the GSF or FP one is pretty much out of the water. So that's one extra crystal they can't get every week. (This week it's run 4 MM FPs)

Also, if RNG is good for them, they might get a 2nd box of gear, which again is dependent on RNG if they down the Queen in SM.

And it takes longer than 20min, Tux. The WB's take around that; them alone.

If they want the MH or OH, they have to hope they can pull the right numbers if they're dps on HM Queen & hope they can get a pug group to run it. (Very few pugs run that at all now. Most runs require achievement & knowledge of the fight to farm it.)

In all the years of playing SWTOR, this is by far the worse way of getting BiS gear.

It's still entirely reliant on RNG, unless you have a ton of alts & crystals.

BW needs to put more T5 (252) and T6 (258) in CXP crates than they already do. In the ton of boxes I've opened since Ossus launched, I may have looted 1 MWC and gear box...maybe...I can't be 100% sure on that though.

Thanks for replying :-) Its not the gear. Its stuff like Charged Matter Transubstantiators, Encrypted memory cores and stuff like that. Dont get me wrong I play as much as I can, on several characters and these items just wont drop for me. Ive had 2 of each for 6 or 7 months.

Are you doing Conquest? Ops? SM Ops only take an hour or less for most. Or just buy them off the GTN - they're always for sale.

Im mainly talking about augments. On the server im on items on the market are waaAAAAaaaay over priced. Cant afford to buy them and cant get enough of the materials to drop so I can make them

Yeah...they're expensive...VERY expensive...I only have 1 toon with 240s, one with 236's and the rest either don't have augments, or they're even older ones.

Are you doing Conquest? Ops? SM Ops only take an hour or less for most. Or just buy them off the GTN - they're always for sale.

Im really not able to do ops at this time due to my work hours. The price of the materials on the gtn is outrageous on the server im on. See my problem lol. I do more pvp than anything.

You're quite right OP. The gearing is a joke.

But honestly unless you're doing NiM raiding, you can deal with BiS 248 until they release the new set of gear in like 6.0. lol

Lets see, I've been playing Ossus since it launched & I'm not yet full 258's on one toon.

Granted I learned a better way to get gear since I started but no it's NOT easy as you make it out to be.

On one toon you can only get guaranteed 1 box of Gear that is up to RNG to get what you need & 1 crystal from killing both WBs. (Unless you PvP, you cant get enough UC's to trade in so that's not guaranteed.)

Now you can also get 1 more Crystal if the "Timed Weekly" is something you can complete.

As in OP's case, if they don't have time to play much in the week, the GSF or FP one is pretty much out of the water. So that's one extra crystal they can't get every week. (This week it's run 4 MM FPs)

Also, if RNG is good for them, they might get a 2nd box of gear, which again is dependent on RNG if they down the Queen in SM.

If they want the MH or OH, they have to hope they can pull the right numbers if they're dps on HM Queen & hope they can get a pug group to run it. (Very few pugs run that at all now. Most runs require achievement & knowledge of the fight to farm it.)

In all the years of playing SWTOR, this is by far the worse way of getting BiS gear.

It's still entirely reliant on RNG, unless you have a ton of alts & crystals.

BW needs to put more T5 (252) and T6 (258) in CXP crates than they already do. In the ton of boxes I've opened since Ossus launched, I may have looted 1 MWC and gear box...maybe...I can't be 100% sure on that though.

I have received zero from crates

Im really not able to do ops at this time due to my work hours. The price of the materials on the gtn is outrageous on the server im on. See my problem lol. I do more pvp than anything.

buy 228 augs. Problem solved. if you can afford it, buy 236's for 3-5m a piece. CMT's are rare but you should get plenty from doing ranked/granked from pvp. you have it easier than the pvp people tbh

buy 228 augs. Problem solved. if you can afford it, buy 236's for 3-5m a piece. CMT's are rare but you should get plenty from doing ranked/granked from pvp. you have it easier than the pvp people tbh

That's the point. I cant afford to buy them. I dont have the time to make that kind of money. The augments are over priced on the server im on. I have 228 and 236 augments but I want to max that out to the highest. I have always done that.

I get cores & CMT's from crates. They're not an issue.

What server are you on?

DO you do ranked or group ranked??

That's the problem. They aren't dropping from crates for me. Ive had the same 2 of each for 6 to 7 months. I have 12 characters. You0 would think they would drop more but they aren't dropping at all. I dont get to do much ranked at all

Edited by ClaudeTaylor

That's the point. I cant afford to buy them. I dont have the time to make that kind of money. The augments are over priced on the server im on. I have 228 and 236 augments but I want to max that out to the highest. I have always done that.

240 augments aren't worth it. It's 100 power for way too much money. I think i paid like 120m for a set of 14 or something. Money is also ridiculously easy to get right now man. Do the genonosian queen in HM, get mat she drops, there's 30 mil. Isotope stabalizers also drop from all ops bosses and from hm fp's pretty frequently and those are 400k a piece. Decos also drop from ops and those can be worth a lot as well.

I unloaded pretty close to 200m of stuff i got from a couple months of nim raiding not long ago.

Also keep in mind team ranked and ranked are a thing and they drop CMT mats too. granked is 4 of them for a weekly. You're not really suppose to get a lot of CMT's from galactic command, it's meant to be supplemental, not the main source.

There's plenty of ways to make tons of money in this game.

This is the classic struggle of being a working adult and a youth gamer. Games are made for recreational hobbies (unless you are a competitive gamer).

Gearing up to "tier5" or "NiM" level gear is easier than it has ever been. You simply do a 15-30 minute weekly, A single operation boss, and 2 easy WB's.

Enjoy it while it lasts :)

While I can sympathize with some of the items being difficult or time consuming to obtain, plenty of people do obtain them and balance their IRL needs.

It’s a matter of skill, determination, and also knowing when the effort is worth the reward. Honestly speaking the high end gear isn’t necessary unless you intend to run a lot of hi-end content. So if you have the time to run it, odds are you have the time to farm for it.

Otherwise not having the gear isn’t keeping you from performing more casual things in game.

Belonging to a large conquest guild usually yields mats if your guild achieves a top-10 place and you achieve the personal goal ( usually 15K points)

You could always spend CCs on crates and sell the crates or contents.

Or just play your usual game, you'll accumulate money and UCs and a whole host of other in-game currencies and mats in the end. It's not a race, and as others have pointed out, your gear will likely be obsolete come 6.0 anyways.

It also helps to have mirror characters and legacy gear, so you can gear up 1 character and swap all RHS gear to another character - that way you can earn the more expensive mats at double rate.

But TBH unless you're doing NiM level progression raiding, you can easily get by on 236/248/252 rated gear.

Belonging to a large conquest guild usually yields mats if your guild achieves a top-10 place and you achieve the personal goal ( usually 15K points)

You could always spend CCs on crates and sell the crates or contents.

Or just play your usual game, you'll accumulate money and UCs and a whole host of other in-game currencies and mats in the end. It's not a race, and as others have pointed out, your gear will likely be obsolete come 6.0 anyways.

It also helps to have mirror characters and legacy gear, so you can gear up 1 character and swap all RHS gear to another character - that way you can earn the more expensive mats at double rate.

But TBH unless you're doing NiM level progression raiding, you can easily get by on 236/248/252 rated gear.

That is very true thank you

I know this isn’t a solution to your crafting needs, but if you need Augments for pvp, just use the 228 Augments if you are using bolstered gear.

Augment slots automatically bolster to 236 lvl. But the stats it bases that on are mastery and endurance. So adding any mastery Augments will not change any stats what so every.

Instead, use secondary stat Augments like alacrity and crit.

You also don’t want use 236/240 Augs until you get a full set of 252/258 gear or they will greatly reduce stats instead of giving them to you (I know it’s dumb, but that’s Bolster)

Once you have those secondary stats where you want them, either don’t add more Augments (save credits) or use power Augments for a little more damage stats (these are minuscule compared to the secondary stat Augs).

Just be aware, that adding Augments will also start reducing your health pool.

Anyway I hope that helps. If you need any more info on gearing for pvp using Bolster, jump over to the pvp section and there a few threads that discuss it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Again Ea/Bio has made this game where someone with a job cant get the materials needed to max out our characters. I hope they know this makes people not wont to play. This happened (not quite the same way) back when Rishi came out. It forced me to quit! When I came back I found that the materials dropped more frequently so I started subbing again. At this point im leaning towards quitting again. I have no way to get these materials, so! Whats the point in subbing or playing, when your the low man on the totem pole, due to lack of materials?

Wrong. What you can't do is get them as fast as someone who's life is currently this game.

If you can't play a MMO where you can't stay right on top of the best gear. You either need to stop playing MMOs or play a pay 2 win MMO.

Wrong. What you can't do is get them as fast as someone who's life is currently this game.

If you can't play a MMO where you can't stay right on top of the best gear. You either need to stop playing MMOs or play a pay 2 win MMO.

That’s not really a fair statement because swtor was never like that or at least is wasn’t for many years. Bioware have drastically increased the amount of time it takes to gear up now.

Plus do we really need more people to leave?

I'm sitting on over 150 toons and I'm very casual, I don't play nearly as much as used to, but after half a century of living I just sort of take things when they happen. I've dozens of level 70's and don't even have even one of them at 258 yet, but that's okay with me. Worrying about the fishing pole doesn't make the fish bite any faster.

If you have some sort of fear of missing out because everyone else has pulled ahead of you with their 20-hour-a-day playing schedules, let 'em. Go at your own speed, do your own thing, and don't worry about everyone else's progress. Just work at your own pace and enjoy it as it happens.

In addition to the above, getting the current max (258) gear is dependant on what aspects of the game you enjoy playing. I will not do content that I don't enjoy just to get slightly better gear. To get the 258 weapons you HAVE to either do ranked PvP (and be good at it to win & get the highest reward) or OPs. I do neither (raids/ops have never been my thing other than the 25man LFR ones in WoW which were fun to do as you got to see the raid content in exchange for lower rewards and hilarity). I tried solo ranked - hours of death and losses so I got nowhere near the 50 needed for the weekly (and you will need to do this twice as the weapons need 2 crystals) plus its not an enjoyable way to spend my limited playing time. In addition if you choose not to be in a guild like me you won't get much benefit from Conquest.

Fortunately, you don't actually need either 252 or 258 gear unless you raid the new content or are looking to be high ranked in PvP. I'm attempting to gear my main up to as close to 258 as I can (minus offhand and weapon) out of choice because being a lightning sorcerer I need every advantage to stay alive in regular warzones. I'm at 255 and to be honest the effort is a pain in the arse - getting to 252 is fairly easy as a casual player - any higher is annoying. Most weeks the "timed weekly" is not something that I can/will do (or can be done - master mode flashpoint queues never happen anymore). I have many, many alts and I'm not going to be gearing any of them - if they get a useful piece of gear from doing Ossus content when I can be bothered to do it that will be nice but I won't be making any conscious effort to get their gear up like I have with my main.

To the OP unless you are in a raiding guild/group that's after the new OPs content &/or doing pre-organised/guild only grouped ranked (forget solo ranked) the new gear grind is a pain. If you are a solo player it's not worth the bother; do the new content if you enjoy it and don't worry about having high gear.

Again Ea/Bio has made this game where someone with a job cant get the materials needed to max out our characters.

I don't see what having a job has to do with it. Most people playing this game have jobs, or school, or some such daytime activity. Your problem must have more to do with what other r/l things you need to deal with - wife, kids, homework, etc. - that take away play time.

Unless you are doing high-end PvP or NiM mode Fps and OPs, you need not concern your self with getting the very latest 252/258 gear. All the other content is essentially the same as it was and, if you could handle it before, you can still handle it now, without 252/258 gear. (Even 210 gear is usually enough.)

Edited by JediQuaker