Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 12:00 PM | #361
Quote: Originally Posted by JoeBursiq View Post
I just want to add my opinion :


Slicing is O.K. ! WHY? Because you actually profit from it rather than losing credits. The Problem here is that Half of the people are trolling or they have such a high expectations like " Dude I got slicing instead of Crew skill X. I should be filthy rich because it is not connected to any other crafting crew skills => it should make me more credits then the others"



That's the problem. Its not profitable now. It has been over-nerfed. The missions come back at a loss, the lockboxes are few and the amount has been greatly reduced. The other missions only produce augments which are not that profitable. Slicing needs a big buff. Give us more product missions or make the mission payouts profitable again. Your opinion is based on the old slicing. Mine is based on actual experience.
Lord Aposno


Scorus's Avatar


Scorus
01.31.2012 , 12:02 PM | #362
I'm Slicing 400 and did 20 missions at each of the top 4 levels as a test this weekend. I used two companions that had no (C2) or very little affection. In those 80 missions, I got no failures. I have to assume that is an aberration and obviously it would have a tremendous effect on the return rates below.

At each level but the top, I got average return rates of 25-35% and I got mission rewards in 20-25% of the missions (4-5 out of 20). At the top, I only got 1 mission and ca. 17% return rate.

Note that this doesn't count all the money that I just find laying on the ground via Slicing. Given this and that there is absolutely no time or risk involved in sending my people on missions, this seems to be a highly profitable, very low risk enterprise that I'm more than happy to continue. It has already bought speeders for all three of my characters and funds the diplomacy and underworld trading of the other two with a lot left over.

Scorus

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 12:03 PM | #363
Quote: Originally Posted by WutsInAName View Post
those other can absolutly can and do return a loss.

Sometimes they fail completly sometimes they come back with very little.

Slicing is no diff. Could it use a shot in the arm, sure but no more then the others. T.Hunting is WAY WAY WAY more random and loss possible than slicing.

ie) I can send out for 1.5-2k and come back with a green item that sells for half of that. GTH? lol like Ima bother puting a green quality item on there. However I do find blue items, and relics(they sell ok on GTH) and the very very rare purple usually way lower than my current level possibly useful on an alts companion for a couple/few low levels (big whoop).

PS if you wanna make money right now. pick up bioanalysis and hunt for nodes. its hard NOT to sell bio mats for top dollar right now.


The difference is with TH you have other options than just lockbox missions. You can do gemstone missions or companion gifts. Gemstones can sell for big $$. Slicing only has lockboxes that are more fail than anything else and augments. TH has choices.
Lord Aposno


LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 12:15 PM | #364
Quote: Originally Posted by GnatB View Post
Wait, slicing only produces 1 item that's profitable? Augments? Guess I need to stop making bank on mission unlocks. (schematics too, though not nearly as profitable)

Just like every other tradeskill, real profit in slicing comes from selling stuff to other players. though unlike other skills, it's not total bankruptville working in a vacuum.

That would be great if the drops were reliable. the only drop I have received last week was a diplomacy mission drop, and that sells for very little or has to be vendored.
Lord Aposno


PhoR's Avatar


PhoR
01.31.2012 , 12:24 PM | #365
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAposno View Post
I think you are tracking the wrong information. Don't track your overall money, track the cost of the missions, the reward and the difference. This is what I have been doing for the last week and I have consistently lost money on the lockbox missions.
This is either a blatant lie or you are the unluckiest person alive.

I tracked 20 missions (4 per companion, excluding Doc because I was using him) apiece for the past 3 nights and have averaged ~32k credit gain each night, and that's ignoring the sales of mission schematics which on my server added around another 20k per night.

Sure, it's nowhere near as lucrative as selling Mandalorian Iron right now on my server, but you can't harvest nodes with Underworld Trading.
If I were to add the credits that I gathered from nodes each night while questing while my companions were out on Credit Box missions, it would be a lot closer.
ı≡≡≡≡≡≡ıı₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

LordAposno's Avatar


LordAposno
01.31.2012 , 12:30 PM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoR View Post
This is either a blatant lie or you are the unluckiest person alive.

I tracked 20 missions (4 per companion, excluding Doc because I was using him) apiece for the past 3 nights and have averaged ~32k credit gain each night, and that's ignoring the sales of mission schematics which on my server added around another 20k per night.

Sure, it's nowhere near as lucrative as selling Mandalorian Iron right now on my server, but you can't harvest nodes with Underworld Trading.
If I were to add the credits that I gathered from nodes each night while questing while my companions were out on Credit Box missions, it would be a lot closer.
I really really wish it was a lie. Truly I do. It's just not me, read through the thread many people are having similar results. Many people ingame of dropped slicing because if its ineffectiveness. My results are completely contrary to your post. But I am not the only one having similar failures. What level are you and what is your affection level on your companions? Maybe that has something to do with it?
Lord Aposno


PhoR's Avatar


PhoR
01.31.2012 , 12:34 PM | #367
Quote: Originally Posted by LordAposno View Post
What level are you and what is your affection level on your companions? Maybe that has something to do with it?
50 and at 10k with all companions.

One key that I've found to prevent losing money on missions is to NEVER accept abundant or below. I only run Rich or Bountiful missions, even if I have to go down several levels to find one available.

I found that moderate missions almost always return at a loss for me unless they crit, and abundant are about 50/50, so I avoid them both.
ı≡≡≡≡≡≡ıı₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

LeperJack's Avatar


LeperJack
01.31.2012 , 12:58 PM | #368
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoR View Post
50 and at 10k with all companions.

One key that I've found to prevent losing money on missions is to NEVER accept abundant or below. I only run Rich or Bountiful missions, even if I have to go down several levels to find one available.

I found that moderate missions almost always return at a loss for me unless they crit, and abundant are about 50/50, so I avoid them both.
Here's a more important question: When was the last time you genuinely did slicing? Not sending out the occasional mission, but sending out several at once over a long period of time and tracked the results?

Because there's a strong difference between your "feel" of your results and the actual numbers others report.

In addition, since you're level 50, could you do me a favor? Go walk around for an hour and kill mobs. Nothing special or anything else, just go grind mobs for an hour, sell off the grays and don't even count the green stuff or blues or epics. Let me know how much you made.
"I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great / And would suffice."
--Robert Frost

CedricDur's Avatar


CedricDur
01.31.2012 , 01:29 PM | #369
To Lord Aposno.

It bothers me to call you a liar because I don't know you. You might be a very unlucky person and it is a very abrasive thing to call someone, but at this point we either need to discuss the fact you are lying, or that you have a terribad luck with missions, or that you rolled in an empty server (with a deserted GTN and *this* would pretty much explain everything) because what you say does not jive with mine and my friend's experiences.

But.

I started with Slicing. Two friends of mine have as well. We spoke about it as we leveled together. General consensus? From the first time we started sending our companions to do slicing missions we got rewards starting with 100 or so credits.

A pittance, a drop in the bucket, such a small profit. But a profit.

Once... in... a... while... a mission fails, or the lockbox does not cover the cost. This is offset by a wide margin by the times when missions drop. From 500 credits (dumb bike schematics) to epic missions (ranging from 5k to 25k).

And still the lockboxes bring that tiny bit of profit. Miserly, I agree. When you have 700k getting a profit of 200-500 credits is almost nothing. But note, it's an almost nothing for *free*. I can keep on getting that while I RP, while I browse the GTN, while I quest, while I do FPs.

If you missed what I posted above I had 200k at 28, 450k at 33, and at 35 I now have 815k with two epic missions yet to sell.

I posted I was going to reach 1 mill by level 40 but at this rate I will overshoot that goal completely.

It is my first character so I have no idea. Is 815k much for a first character at level 35 or about right?

P.S. I do Slicing continuously. I play an average of four to five hours a day and my companions are out non stop. That's Gault and my ship bot. Gault has two hundred points of affection and nothing for the bot.
Leandrea - Jedi Sage @ The Progenitor

100% behind the article.

Lordkin's Avatar


Lordkin
01.31.2012 , 01:34 PM | #370
exactly, i make more money by killing random mobs in appropriate zones than lf for slicing boxes+ 5 companions on missions combined together, thats just bad