Assassin vs. Operative

frillzx

Hey guys!

I'm currently struggling to decide whether to focus on my Operative or my Assassin in PvP, and even though I MUCH prefer the aesthetic of the Assassin...I'm struggling to see what Assassin does better than Operative.

I don't have enough gear on either to tell who has better damage, but the Operative kit is just crazy. Roll, off heals, a ranged autoattack to interrupt captures...what does Assassin have in comparison besides the tactical that gives two cloaks?

Hey guys!

I'm currently struggling to decide whether to focus on my Operative or my Assassin in PvP, and even though I MUCH prefer the aesthetic of the Assassin...I'm struggling to see what Assassin does better than Operative.

I don't have enough gear on either to tell who has better damage, but the Operative kit is just crazy. Roll, off heals, a ranged autoattack to interrupt captures...what does Assassin have in comparison besides the tactical that gives two cloaks?

Operative for sure. It's easily one of the strongest classes in the game. Thought It has higher skill requirement, beware=)

The main reason to play assassin over operative in regs is your 30 meter mez, which is what makes assassins superior nodestealers to operatives. For 1v1s sins will beat anything other than operatives or a very good mara, but opers are better at stalling and has a slight edge in duels also.

Unfortunately for sin, most of its advantages over operatives such as offguard, taunt, knock root etc are not really as useful in regs as you'd think - as these tools are mainly useful for group fights which is where assassin struggles to shine due to its survivability problems.

That said, you will have fun on either class you choose and I think the problems with assassins are really only highlighted if you run into uneven matchmaking time after time. Operative is a little more self sustaining so you will have more fun with this class if you are queing solo and facing premades a lot.

Edited by Sharkii_boy

Personally I prefer deception sin to concealment operative, although lethality operative is my favorite class in the game when q'ed by myself.

Deception is definitely easier to play, there is no setup required for your burst. With two cloaks, you can choose to use your extra force cloak to reset recklessness for burst or save it for escapes. Concealment requires lots of maintenance to stay up without a healer. Also concealment is still affected by force bound, but deception for the most part is not.

Operative is the most powerful, unstoppable class in PVP right now. There's nothing a sin can do better than an operative, nothing. Except aesthetically. I definitely like the sins motif far better than the operative!

Has scoundrel/operative ever not been the best? Legitimate question. When I was playing avidly from 2012 - 2016, I do not recall a time that (bad memory maybe?), when skills were equal between players, one being scoundrel/operative and the second being of any other class, the scoundrel/operative was inferior. It was so strong that when player PvP tournaments were held, three categories ultimately emerged: Shadow/Assassin, Scoundrel/Operative, and...everything else.

When I left four years ago the overwhelming opinion was that the scoundrel/operative reigned supreme, and that same opinion may still be overwhelmingly shared.

Aesthetically, I agree completely. The punching/kicking sounds of scoundrel sound comical where the Shadow/Assassin has this air of mystique. The exotic weapon completes the motif.

Has scoundrel/operative ever not been the best? Legitimate question. When I was playing avidly from 2012 - 2016, I do not recall a time that (bad memory maybe?), when skills were equal between players, one being scoundrel/operative and the second being of any other class, the scoundrel/operative was inferior. It was so strong that when player PvP tournaments were held, three categories ultimately emerged: Shadow/Assassin, Scoundrel/Operative, and...everything else.

When I left four years ago the overwhelming opinion was that the scoundrel/operative reigned supreme, and that same opinion may still be overwhelmingly shared.

Aesthetically, I agree completely. The punching/kicking sounds of scoundrel sound comical where the Shadow/Assassin has this air of mystique. The exotic weapon completes the motif.

At launch they were pretty insane, then they got nerfed to the point where their damage was abysmal, but I played them anyways because the playstyle was just super fun (I miss shoot first and its knockdown :( ). For a long time they were pretty terrible due to their low burst. Then they gave them the healer spec only HoTs and they added the roll with the immunity and they added the reflect and the heal on the defense shield etc....and they just became stupid with how well they can self sustain.

They went from a pop-in/pop-out heavy skill class that relied on controlling the opponent to get a kill (because burst was mediocre) which had very little in the way of self-sustainability or defensive utlity which imo was balanced, and went to this no skill rolly polly crap where they are basically unkillable and have good burst. I rarely even play my scrapper anymore because of how boring it is.

Edited by Raansu