Forget SS, Play DF Instead :D

After the nerfs to SS, I've found that I feel exceptionally weak on my GS in PvP.

A few days ago I decided to switch over to DF and try it out and I think I love it again. I'm able to put hurt on players and not to mention dot spread is so nice.

Before nerfs, I was hitting almost 3.5k DPS on SS. See http://i.imgur.com/u4wxd9x.jpg

However after the nerfs, Im only able to hit around 2.5 - 2.7k DPS on a GOOD game.

After switching to DF, I got this amazing game: http://i.imgur.com/lewht8k.jpg

Granted, I did have dots running pretty much the whole game but still, its way better than I thought. Wounding shots does a bunch of damage if you couple Smuggler's Luck, Illegal Mods and Hemhorraging Blase together. With this combo, I can take a sorc from 100% to about 45% health. I will say that Im having much more fun on my GS after switching to DF. I can kill things! Well, I could kill things before but it wasn't this much fun :p

Anyways, if you're looking for a good spec to try out, just play around with DF and see how it works for you :p

I would love it if SS got buffed but... I don't forsee that because people were complaining about our dmg

DF/Viru is just a dps number spec, but not really efficient, especially for killing sorcheal.

--> SS can really do better damage to heal than Df does, and surely more quickly :

DF : you are obliged to put 2 dots + weak blast before cull (so 3 seconds to put quasi 0 damage before launching cull and try to not be LoS during the process)

SS : Serie of shot+followthrow+ambush+followthrow (just a possible rotation) in the same time. just compare the difference of damage.

So with DF you spread, you try to do the more cull you can do without being LoS, you have a good dps score at the end..yeah it's a fun spec but it's really not usefull at all.

--> try sabotage.

Edited by Thaladan

i run virulence because it is much more mobile than mm, and because, to me, it is just more fun a spec. engineering is even more mobile, but imo, not as good for pvp because your biggest damage ability is a stationary aoe. one thing though, is don't run around fluffing your dots to boost your damage total. that's not really helpful. putting your dots onto a target should always be a setup for cull.

...engineering is even more mobile, but imo, not as good for pvp because your biggest damage ability is a stationary aoe...

Say what? Explosive probe is our highest damage ability which is certainly not a stationary aoe.

Engineering in the right hands is a very good spec for pvp. We have burst, we have crowd control and we have AOE...each on their own isn't enough but combined together in one spec in the way engineering does.....if you think it's not a good spec for pvp then there's a very good chance that you haven't given it the time it requires to get used to it.

Say what? Explosive probe is our highest damage ability which is certainly not a stationary aoe.

Engineering in the right hands is a very good spec for pvp. We have burst, we have crowd control and we have AOE...each on their own isn't enough but combined together in one spec in the way engineering does.....if you think it's not a good spec for pvp then there's a very good chance that you haven't given it the time it requires to get used to it.

explosive probe is your biggest hitter, but your highest damage ability is plasma probe. run a parse program and look at the damage per activation. on a target that doesn't move of it out plasma probe is more.

explosive probe is your biggest hitter, but your highest damage ability is plasma probe. run a parse program and look at the damage per activation. on a target that doesn't move of it out plasma probe is more.

Ahhhhhh I see, the parsing argument. I appreciate your viewpoint dude but you must understand you cannot use that as any basis on how to judge engineering in pvp. Parsing as a whole is largely useless in pvp, it's far to situational...especially for engineering. Oh sure you it's great for theory crafting but as soon as you enter the warzone/arena you can throw that parse out the window. What happens next depends greatly on what your team, your opposition and you yourself does.

The true value of plasma probe is not necessarily in the damage it deals and quite often completely immaterial, i.e. a good bonus.

Ahhhhhh I see, the parsing argument. I appreciate your viewpoint dude but you must understand you cannot use that as any basis on how to judge engineering in pvp. Parsing as a whole is largely useless in pvp, it's far to situational...especially for engineering. Oh sure you it's great for theory crafting but as soon as you enter the warzone/arena you can throw that parse out the window. What happens next depends greatly on what your team, your opposition and you yourself does.

The true value of plasma probe is not necessarily in the damage it deals and quite often completely immaterial, i.e. a good bonus.

yes, in pvp burst is king, i get that. and i have spent considerable time in engi in both pve and pvp. i just have a problem with the practice, that one of my best abilities is now just a slow. i prefer a spec that is more single target and am willing to give up a little mobility in light of the fact that i'm not giving up any damage. jmo, viru has the perfect combo of mobility and burst to get er dun.

sumquy, i assure you that engineering is a better burst solo target spec than virulence.

explosive probe+ serie of shot+ the snare/damage of plasma probe is more efficient than waste time to put 3 debuff and after do a cull..

and for mobility, again cull needs to not move and is the only burst damage of virulence (take down procs maybe with..) while explosive probe can be used while moving and be effective and triggers just with the basic shot/dart/grenade/interrogative probe)

so again same number of dots and more mobility with burst.

Edited by Thaladan

MM/SS to me has always had a lot more killing power than the DPS numbers make it seem. It's about timing burst to where targets do not get a chance to heal through it. Numbers are lower the less times your target can heal up. I find the spec pretty boring at times though.

Virulence/DF has always had great numbers from the DOTs against HOTs especially if you are spreading your DOT's. It got harder and harder over time to actually burn people down as there have become more active defenses but pre sorc heals and especially ahead of the operative healer hay-day, it was every bit as good as MM/SS in the effectiveness at actually killing someone but I don't know if thats the case these days.

Eng/Sab IMO really can give you the best of both worlds. Sometimes you get idiots clustered together to use the AOE but most of it I use for to apply pressure in different areas and maybe funnel targets around and you can get your fluff with that. Pick the right moment and you can burst someone down. Its still the most creative spec I have played in the game even though its hayday is also long past.

Edited by Technohic

Back to the topic question:

What mods/enhancement implants, ear and augments to run as DF/Virulence :jawa_confused:

I have never played Sniper on 65 before and prefer Viru over MM. Thanks in advance

did you post in the wrong thread? op didn't ask anything of the sort.

as for your question, nobody can answer that for you because we don't know what you have already. inb4 you start posting all you current gear, you are doing it wrong anyway. figure out what you want your stats to be, based on the stat budget available to you, and then go buy the pieces that put you there. this is not difficult. everything except your implants and ear piece is already chosen for you. use those slots and the augments to raise the stats you are short on after you see where you are with the pre-chosen pieces.