Why craft at all?

Adathan

I got my first toon to level 10. I didn't want to mess up my first toon so I have been researching for my consular/healer. As far as I can tell there is no long term benefit to crafting. Why not just do 3 gathering skills and be done with it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my first toon to level 10. I didn't want to mess up my first toon so I have been researching for my consular/healer. As far as I can tell there is no long term benefit to crafting. Why not just do 3 gathering skills and be done with it?

sorta how i'm feeling about the game overall, more and more.

would've been a different game if it weren't an ea product. i think it's already hit it's high point. ea, soe... what's the difference?

Do Biochem or Cybertech. That is most certainly the way Bioware intended for it to be(why else would all other crafts suck?).

You can make money with anything, really, but you have to find the right stuff to sell. Armour and weapon crafting is great for levelling, too, as it keeps your equipment more current than you otherwise would. Mods and orange gear are good sellers.

Do Biochem or Cybertech. That is most certainly the way Bioware intended for it to be(why else would all other crafts suck?).

But why waste my time crafting at all? With 3 gathering skills or maybe treasure hunting as a mission skill since one of my consular crew gets a + 15 to eff to it. Wouldn't I just get more money and just buy the equip I want as I go? Not trying to act smart, just wondering

But why waste my time crafting at all? With 3 gathering skills or maybe treasure hunting as a mission skill since one of my consular crew gets a + 15 to eff to it. Wouldn't I just get more money and just buy the equip I want as I go? Not trying to act smart, just wondering

Because without SOMEBODY doing the crafting skills you have nobody to buy it from?

You can make money with anything, really, but you have to find the right stuff to sell. Armour and weapon crafting is great for levelling, too, as it keeps your equipment more current than you otherwise would.
^this is how i know you don't actually have an arms/armortech

Mods and orange gear are good sellers.

and this is how i know you don't visit the GTN.

^this is how i know you don't actually have an arms/armortech

and this is how i know you don't visit the GTN.

You would be wrong. Keep my armourmech, armstech, synth, and artifice all AHEAD of my level thank you very much.

And I never find anything better than the stuff I craft, except MAYBE a FP drop now and again.

Edited by Inarai

You would be wrong. Keep my armourmech, armstech, synth, and artifice all AHEAD of my level thank you very much.

And I never find anything better than the stuff I craft, except MAYBE a FP drop now and again.

I thought about editing my post earlier, but decided not to. what I would have added was:

or you are on the far end of the leveling ladder.

it's nothing against you, if you like leveling slowly, enjoying the scenery, rp, whatever, that's totally cool.

i'm just stating a simple fact that if you level at a "normal" pace, the gear you get from quests ALWAYS outpaces the crafted gear.

sorta how i'm feeling about the game overall, more and more.

would've been a different game if it weren't an ea product. i think it's already hit it's high point. ea, soe... what's the difference?

SOE has better support.

But to answer the OP, as of right now other than Biochem crafting is useless and the system has many flaws, such as the huge money sink for new players, amount of time, cost to make a prototype/artifact grade item.

Because without SOMEBODY doing the crafting skills you have nobody to buy it from?

if only that were true.

whatever i can make via crafting, you can buy from the daily commendation vendor for 8 commendations.

and there's no market fixing, no gouging, no shortage. it will always be there for that low price.

I thought about editing my post earlier, but decided not to. what I would have added was:

it's nothing against you, if you like leveling slowly, enjoying the scenery, rp, whatever, that's totally cool.

i'm just stating a simple fact that if you level at a "normal" pace, the gear you get from quests ALWAYS outpaces the crafted gear.

I will admit that the assistance I get from my guild for crafting helps a bit. But I level, frankly, too fast - way overlevel content due to participating in basically all content types. Must be doing something different from you, I guess.

I will admit that the assistance I get from my guild for crafting helps a bit. But I level, frankly, too fast - way overlevel content due to participating in basically all content types. Must be doing something different from you, I guess.

maybe so, but you would be hard pressed to find another person who shares your same experience.

SOE has better support.

But to answer the OP, as of right now other than Biochem crafting is useless and the system has many flaws, such as the huge money sink for new players, amount of time, cost to make a prototype/artifact grade item.

That's kinda what I gathered, pun intended. Being a consular I thought I would just go with slicing +10 eff, arch + 15 eff, & treas hunting + 15 eff. With slicing giving me bonus missions. Maybe im kinda noobish but I don't really like crafting anyway and also my efficiency is through the roof. Am I missing something?

I find it just the opposite. From what I understand, most peoples leveling is outpacing the quests, thus the gear they are getting from quests.

Crafted gear, on the other hand, is of whatever level you make it. And leveling craft skills is FAST. (though admittedly, RE:ing schematics isn't all that fast). Especially when you have more than 1 companion so can do all your harvesting/crafting while still adventuring.

I find it just the opposite. From what I understand, most peoples leveling is outpacing the quests, thus the gear they are getting from quests.

Crafted gear, on the other hand, is of whatever level you make it. And leveling craft skills is FAST. (though admittedly, RE:ing schematics isn't all that fast). Especially when you have more than 1 companion so can do all your harvesting/crafting while still adventuring.

i was level 46 when i finished corellia, i did no pvp, no heroics, and followed my storyline.

i wasn't power leveling, i honestly enjoyed the story, and wanted to get to the next step. next thing I know, i was out of quests, and looking at ilum (all 50 mobs) at lvl 46. I ended up having to go back and do a ton of bonus series on planets that didn't interest me, just to level to 50.

i was WAY outpacing my quest, but I was ALSO outpacing the crafting, because i wasn't leveling it, due to wanting to save cr for skill training. :)

maybe so, but you would be hard pressed to find another person who shares your same experience.

Not so hard. That has been my experience. Quests/Comms NEVER give gear better than I can craft, and I've beelined content with minimal sidequests. I do occasionally do heroics, but never to the point where I repeat daily quests because unless it gives me a weapon, earpiece or implant it's not giving me something I can use.

I think the community needs to realize that some people just aren't crafters, and for these people the answer to the OP is that you shouldn't craft. But I will not agree that crafting is worthless because I know it's not. Crafted gear can be very powerful and if you keep up with it then you'll have it ready for you levels in advance.

Not so hard. That has been my experience. Quests/Comms NEVER give gear better than I can craft, and I've beelined content with minimal sidequests. I do occasionally do heroics, but never to the point where I repeat daily quests because unless it gives me a weapon, earpiece or implant it's not giving me something I can use.

I think the community needs to realize that some people just aren't crafters, and for these people the answer to the OP is that you shouldn't craft. But I will not agree that crafting is worthless because I know it's not. Crafted gear can be very powerful and if you keep up with it then you'll have it ready for you levels in advance.

so, would it be fair to say that crafting is useful while leveling, but becomes useless at max level?

so, would it be fair to say that crafting is useful while leveling, but becomes useless at max level?

For your crafting character? Still being debated... we know with augments that high level gear crafted from mission schematics produce gear comparable to raid level gear. You can certainly set off on 50 content better than youur peers. But there are unanswered questions as to what power you can take certain crafted items (rakata's for instance). Chances are you'll be rocking your uber crafted gear for weeks before you land a replacement for each piece.

Lack of expertise changes the outlook for pvp though... you can't craft gear to compete with Battlemasters atm if you are warzone bound.

Obviously, even after 50 crafting is useful for alts, guildmates, and for making money.

sigh... because this game has been out for a little over a month, a mere drop in the bucket when considering an mmo's lifespan. They will add schematics, etc. in future patches/expansions, to make those skillz worth while. Be patient my padawans :)

Throughout most of beta, biochem and cybertech were teh suck and all the other skills were regarded as better skills to take. So they adjusted things for release, I'm sure they'll continue to adjust things as time goes on.

The problem with crafting isn't that it's bad, it's that items are available that are better, or just as good as items you can create, unless you invest lots of money, time and effort in unlocking superior quality items or get a critical.

For instance, a Weapon/Armor crafter will likely just do Flash points for gear as they are generally faster, and you will get the drops you need for much less money.

In addition to the above, you have commendations you can earn from doing Flash Points and dailies that will let you buy mods that are just as good, if not better than anything you can craft, negating any benefit from making mods unless.. You guessed it.. You Reverse Engineer enough to unlock purple mods..

Crafting just isn't worth bothering with until you reach 400. There's no incentive to anyone to reverse engineer anything (Unless you are a Biochemist), except items they are creating to level their stuff, and even then the materials to create said items are too expensive or a pain in the butt to get. The result is a Galactic Trade Market with a bunch of items people are craving, but can't get because nobody can make them, or is willing to make and sell, because the profit in doing so is too low.

Say for instance you have to do 25 Underworld missions to get that epic item you need to finally craft that piece of Armor. Let's assume you're around level 20, so those missions would be about 400-600 credits each. That's almost 4x the amount of money spent making the item as you would earn placing the item on the GTM. It just doesn't make sense..

The way the current system is set up, Biochemists benefit the most from putting effort into reverse engineering and actually MAKING items.

Edited by Mistress-Rarity