Carbon Copy Endgame

mercenx

Did anyone else buy this game on release, love the leveling process, and hit a brick wall when you hit endgame? I'm a former WOW player (obviously), and I waited for this game for years only to unsubscribe after I hit 50. This isn't a hate thread, this is an honest question to other players. This isn't even saying there is a "lack of content" (though that could certainly be argued), its just that its the SAME content. The SAME grind.

WOW Endgame

-Raids

-Heroics

-Achievements

-World PvP "zone"

-Team based pvp (battlegrounds, arena)

-Crafting

-Dailies

SWTOR Endgame

-Operations

-Hard Modes

-Datacrons

-World PvP "zone"

-Team based pvp (warzones)

-Crafting (even in its pathetic form)

-Dailies

-I guess you could add companion quests, even though they don't take very long

You could make an argument that the game is new, and more content is on its way. I'd agree, but I'd also point out that no matter how much "new content" they add to the game

it still follows the SAME model. Unless they completely redid their endgame model, no matter how much they add the basic template stays the same old thing. The template is just the WOW one with a Star Wars skin.

Note: Why any developer would think dailies (doing the same exact set of quests every day) is a good idea astounds me.

Edited by mercenx

Note: Why any developer would think dailies (doing the same exact set of quests every day) is a good idea astounds me.

It's actually a very effective method for getting people to log in every day. Especially if the rewards from said dailies are Best in Slot pieces, as they are here. You may not like them, but they do serve their purpose.

Did anyone else buy this game on release, love the leveling process, and hit a brick wall when you hit endgame?

Nope. Got 2 50's at the moment, having fun playing, and I have not done a single operation yet.

The only person that can keep you from finding ways to have fun playing a game is YOU.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shocking change from the level up game to the end game... having WoW's progression model 1:1 seems like an odd choice, and doesn't feel like that was the original design intention. At least based on things that were said during development.

Carbon copy which could not live up to the original. But then when does a carbon copy ever live up to the original??

Want to make a MMO that truly stands out...well then original ideas are needed. However BW/EA went for the quick buck....now we are left with this pile of doo doo....

So when does GW2 come out again?

Nope. Got 2 50's at the moment, having fun playing, and I have not done a single operation yet.

The only person that can keep you from finding ways to have fun playing a game is YOU.

Right, so the question about end game doesn't apply to you. You're rolling alts.

For those that aren't, however...

Did anyone else buy this game on release, love the leveling process, and hit a brick wall when you hit endgame? I'm a former WOW player (obviously), and I waited for this game for years only to unsubscribe after I hit 50. This isn't a hate thread, this is an honest question to other players. This isn't even saying there is a "lack of content" (though that could certainly be argued), its just that its the SAME content. The SAME grind.

WOW Endgame

-Raids

-Heroics

-Achievements

-World PvP "zone"

-Team based pvp (battlegrounds, arena)

-Crafting

-Dailies

SWTOR Endgame

-Operations

-Hard Modes

-Datacrons

-World PvP "zone"

-Team based pvp (warzones)

-Crafting (even in its pathetic form)

-Dailies

-I guess you could add companion quests, even though they don't take very long

You could make an argument that the game is new, and more content is on its way. I'd agree, but I'd also point out that no matter how much "new content" they add to the game

it still follows the SAME model. Unless they completely redid their endgame model, no matter how much they add the basic template stays the same old thing. The template is just the WOW one with a Star Wars skin.

You do know that WOW has done nothing original of their own? All WoW has done is take every thing that was good in every other game and add it to WoW. WoW is a carbon copy of every MMO on the market. WoW is not original. WoW is the carbon copy.

That said this game is your typical MMO. So yes its going to be like other MMO's. As you can tell by the QQ'ers on this forum they want it to be more like WoW.

Right, so the question about end game doesn't apply to you. You're rolling alts.

For those that aren't, however...

I have done the "end game grind" in WoW for 7 years. I do dailies (almost) every day. I do PvP (almost) every day. I do heroic FP (almost) every day. Just because I have not bothered to do Operations, I am suddenly not able to discuss the topic or comment on it?

Oh yeah and other than my 2 50's that I play, I have no alts (higher than level 5). Thanks.

Most peculiar.

Also why do people instantly compare it to WoW? News flash WoW copied someone else! ZOMG NO WAI!

QFT

WoW was a badly done "EQ-clone" at launch. Blizzard was slowly bleeding subs after launch for a good year before they started implementing some of the changes that created the noob/newb friendly MMO style that we are stuck with now.

I'm also sick of people saying there is no end game and comparing it to WoW as far as number of raids and such. Do me and everyone else a favor and Google search around until you see how much end game content WoW had at launch. Then contemplate how Blizzard got WoW to the point where it has as much end game content as it has now (8 years after launch)

After you have done these tasks, maybe think about if you really want to play an MMO from launch considering that you can easily run through all of the content before the developer has a chance to get more in. This fact is not a failure on BW's part, just a fact of MMO's unless you want them to spend 8 years developing strictly end game content so it takes players maybe a year from launch to run through it all.

Sorry for ranting, just figured I'd add to the poisonous atmosphere that these forums seem to have ;)

To answer you question: no, no "brick wall" for me.

You see, I have realistic expectations - I've been around MMORPG's since the release of UO and I've played just about all of the big "Western" titles. They are all the same in repect to end-game and you may remember that the developers never claimed that SWTOR would be any different.

Again, SWTOR was never claiming to revolutionise endgame.

This just in: MMO uses MMO model! film at 11.

What amazing and innovative endgame do you suggest?

Lol exactly this. Also remember this game is what... 3 months old? What did WOW have for endgame content when it first came out?

People who expect this to have the same amount of content or more than a game that's been around for like 7 years just aren't being realistic.

So you proved that leveling is fun, how does that not confirm my point?

Isn't this kind of like buying Battlefield 3 and then ranting that it's just looking down the sights of a gun barrel, shooting bad guys, and picking up ammo?

Or buying Starcraft 2 and complaining that all you're doing is farming crystals and gas and building structures so you can build units?

The shooter hasn't really changed much since Wolfenstein. Considering it's been 20 years, the number of mechancal changes is actually rather miniscule. The RTS has changed even less in that time.

Why then, do we expect the MMO genre to reinvent the wheel every time someone releases a new game?

File this under "exceedingly unrealistic expectations" and move on.