Is it time for SWTOR to have a mobile app similar to Warframe?

LordArtemis

I was thinking about this. Warframe has a mobile app that allows you to view your characters and equipment, as well as engage in basic crafting tasks. There are other parts to the app as well, but it seems particularly useful in these two scenarios.

I think it might be a good idea for Bioware to consider doing the same for SWTOR. The idea would be that one could log on, look at your characters, equipment, build, etc. and also have a basic crew skill interface that would allow you to craft offline (outside the game).

This way folks could send companions out on missions while they are out and about, build influence and dark/light points, build up the skills, gather resources, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with the warframe program, and do you think something like this would be of interest here?

I play warframe but only been at it for about a week. I'll have to check out the app also to see what it's all about.

As far as swtor incorporating it....I think people have been asking for something like that for a long time. It's really no surprise to me that it still doesn't exist yet.

We can always hope.

I was thinking about this. Warframe has a mobile app that allows you to view your characters and equipment, as well as engage in basic crafting tasks. There are other parts to the app as well, but it seems particularly useful in these two scenarios.

I think it might be a good idea for Bioware to consider doing the same for SWTOR. The idea would be that one could log on, look at your characters, equipment, build, etc. and also have a basic crew skill interface that would allow you to craft offline (outside the game).

This way folks could send companions out on missions while they are out and about, build influence and dark/light points, build up the skills, gather resources, etc.

Is anyone here familiar with the warframe program, and do you think something like this would be of interest here?

That actually sounds pretty cool! I'd also like to have an in game event app to see which events are currently happening and scheduled and which Operation is in group finder for the day\week.

I'd prefer we got actual content before a mobile app tbh.

Well, yeah, me too.

But I have been wanting an app like described since launch. It would be a great addition. If they do ever build an app, it will probably be access to the cartel market.

Ok, a few good additions to the idea in this thread.

So a good mobile app could provide....

1) Access to visual inspection of characters and their spec/gear/level/status as well as all currency levels.

2) Visual inspection of personal inventory, but no ability to manipulate it.

3) Ability to respec.

4) Access to a schedule that provides information on game events and current lockouts.

5) Access to make purchases on the Cartel Market.

6) Ability to craft with a simple crew skill interface. Send crew members on missions or have them craft.

Would love to hear more suggestions. Thanks for commenting.

1) Access to visual inspection of characters and their spec/gear/level/status as well as all currency levels.

3) Ability to respec.

4) Access to a schedule that provides information on game events and current lockouts.

6) Ability to craft with a simple crew skill interface. Send crew members on missions or have them craft.

^^^^ This. 100%

3) Ability to respec.

Very easily exploitable by credit sellers if you ask me when it comes to #6

Very easily exploitable by credit sellers if you ask me when it comes to #6

I would normally disagree, since credit sellers generally remain logged in to the game on a constant basis to farm, but I would wait to judge until you explain what you mean, if you dont mind doing so. Just for clarity.

This is actually an old idea that has already been discussed and responded to by Bioware pretty much over 5 years ago. They said they liked the idea but it wasn't a priority etc.

Somehow I'm not convinced that this has risen in priority since then.

Fair enough, but I think it is something that, one could say, its time has come.

The game could use any and all mechanics that will keep players engaged and addicted. A 24 hour connection to the game could help.

Ohh don't get me wrong. I would love to have such an app. Being able to check their gear, inventory and doing crafting orders from there and all that would be great.

Also story progress (quest log) would be great also and lock-outs. I hate having to log in to find out that character is also locked and have to try another. If I'm in a group and think hey I have a tank but not sure if it's locked or not, I'd rather know before trying. It happens easily when you have more than a handful of alts.

Ohh don't get me wrong. I would love to have such an app. Being able to check their gear, inventory and doing crafting orders from there and all that would be great.

Also story progress (quest log) would be great also and lock-outs. I hate having to log in to find out that character is also locked and have to try another. If I'm in a group and think hey I have a tank but not sure if it's locked or not, I'd rather know before trying. It happens easily when you have more than a handful of alts.

I don't know if quest log could be done...perhaps some sort of completion graph, by planet and expansion? Perhaps gives a general idea of where you are in the content process. Something like what the reputation system has.

I am certain they could do lockouts though.

I don't know if quest log could be done...perhaps some sort of completion graph, by planet and expansion? Perhaps gives a general idea of where you are in the content process. Something like what the reputation system has.

I am certain they could do lockouts though.

Dunno why quest log can't be made visible. Just to see it mind you, not to interact with. But when someone is leveling on a planet or you have the Heroic 4s from the binocular chain or something then it's nice to know where your toons are at. That's all.

Fair enough, but I think it is something that, one could say, its time has come.

The game could use any and all mechanics that will keep players engaged and addicted. A 24 hour connection to the game could help.

so few responses endorsing your idea, argues against your claim. News flash, based on ongoing forum comments ... people want in game content.. not cotton candy.

From a practical perspective, this idea IS NOT where resources should be placed for this MMO... unless resources are essentially unlimited (and we all know that is not the case).

Nor do I think we need yet another copy-cat feature from WoW. Enough.

Edited by Andryah

so few responses endorsing your idea, argues against your claim. News flash, based on ongoing forum comments ... people want in game content.. not cotton candy.

From a practical perspective, this idea IS NOT where resources should be placed for this MMO... unless resources are essentially unlimited (and we all know that is not the case).

Nor do I think we need yet another copy-cat feature from WoW. Enough.

News flash? Enough? What is going on with you lately Andryah. You rarely if ever made trollish comments like these in the past.

The rest of your post I cant argue with. But you can keep the contemptuous hyperbole. Your not talking to someone who joined the game yesterday.

Edited by LordArtemis

It was time for the app at launch when they had developers to do it. Now it would take them 2 or 3 years to create it and the odds of the game still being here by then are pretty slim, at least still here and getting anything added to it.

News flash? Enough? What is going on with you lately Andryah. You rarely if ever made trollish comments like these in the past.

The rest of your post I cant argue with. But you can keep the contemptuous hyperbole. Your not talking to someone who joined the game yesterday.

New flash... my first statement was entirely correct. People are NOT clamoring for your latest idea pulled from who knows where... and they DO want content.. not some mobile admiration app that servers no notable purpose. Besides.... the APIs are closed in this game... so many of those silly non-content features WoW has done over the years.... not done here (and not just the one that is the subject of this topic).

Disagreement and sharing of opinion does not = trolling, so please stop with the faux outrage.

If you don't like my opinions and cannot cope with them being in contrast to your own ..... put me on ignore as that makes a whole lot more sense then throwing some tantrum over comments you do not like.

Now... back on topic...... while you are not new to the game.. your participation as a subscriber is very much off and on over the last couple years. So one has to wonder... why do you want this mobile app so much? What exactly will it do for you personally, because IF it did exist.. it extremely unlikely it would be open to non-subs.. which leaves you out at least half of each year.

Edited by Andryah

3) Ability to respec.

I have a problem with (6) . There are still people who don't use apps on their phones so giving access to crafting on their phone could create problems with conquests giving some guilds a better way to do the crafting and therefore penalizing guilds that don't use the app. The rest I don't see a problem with for those that don't use apps on their phone but the crafting I can see a problem.

I have a problem with (6) . There are still people who don't use apps on their phones so giving access to crafting on their phone could create problems with conquests giving some guilds a better way to do the crafting and therefore penalizing guilds that don't use the app. The rest I don't see a problem with for those that don't use apps on their phone but the crafting I can see a problem.

Such an app would definitely be prone to exploitation by Conquest pursuing guilds. So I very much agree with you on that part. INB4 the usual drive-bys claiming that this would be easy to prevent and is therefore nothing to worry about.

As for the rest of the desired features....... low value, high effort = makes no sense when players have been clamoring for more content release in the actual game.

Edited by Andryah

New flash... my first statement was entirely correct.

It was not a news flash. You are not the spokesman for the forum as far as i know, nor It is likely you are a member of the media announcing breaking news....

People are NOT clamoring for your latest idea pulled from who knows where... and they DO want content.. not some mobile admiration app that servers no notable purpose. Besides.... the APIs are closed in this game... so many of those silly non-content features WoW has done over the years.... not done here (and not just the one that is the subject of this topic).

There is no need to repeat your cogent argument once again in some silly defense of your sarcastic comments.

Disagreement and sharing of opinion does not = trolling, so please stop with the faux outrage.

I had issue with your sarcasm...I was VERY CLEAR that I did not have issue with your argument. For the record....

I have NEVER equated your actual opinions with trolling, at least not to my best recollection. If you remember right I have DEFENDED your opinions in the past, even when they were contrary to my own.

If you don't like my opinions and cannot cope with them being in contrast to your own ..... put me on ignore as that makes a whole lot more sense then throwing some tantrum over comments you do not like.

What would make even more sense is stating your often cogent opinions without silly comments like "news flash" and "enough". Your argument should be strong enough to stand on its own without having to resort to sarcastic hyperbole....which Is beneath you IMO.

Now... back on topic...... while you are not new to the game.. your participation as a subscriber is very much off and on over the last couple years. So one has to wonder... why do you want this mobile app so much? What exactly will it do for you personally, because IF it did exist.. it extremely unlikely it would be open to non-subs.. which leaves you out at least half of each year.

A fair point, but one does not HAVE to wonder that. You are certainly welcome to question my motives and/or motivations if you wish. I think my post, and subsequent posts makes my intentions clear.

Perhaps you have a bit to learn from your own signature Andryah.

Edited by LordArtemis

Would it work if you could also use it in a browser?