How many subscriptions SWTOR still have?

Connll

Hey, guys, I am writing this in search of a small bit of info I haven´t been able to find. Everything I say in this post is based on outdated information, so it is probably wrong/innacurate by now.

Way back in 2011, it was said that SWTOR would be "very profitable" if it managed to hit 500k active subs. This was said in answer to a question if the dev expected Tor to dethrone WoW.

As far as I know, SWTOR had a peak of 2,5 million active subscriptions, and then this number started to dwindle rapidly, as more and more players finished the calss storylines.

Question is: how many active subscriptions TOR has today? I think it must be 300k tops, otherwise a transition to F2P wouldn´t be implemented so quickly. Also, is the number of subs finally stable? Or it still continues to drop?

Anyone knows the answer?

Edited by Connll

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, guys, I am writing this in search of a small bit of info I haven´t been able to find. Everything I say in this post is based on outdated information, so it is probably wrong/innacurate by now.

Way back in 2011, it was said that SWTOR would be "very profitable" if it managed to hit 500k active subs. This was said in answer to a question if the dev expected Tor to dethrone WoW.

As far as I know, SWTOR had a peak of 2,5 million active subscriptions, and then this number started to dwindle rapidly, as more and more players finished the calss storylines.

Question is: how many active subscriptions TOR has today? I think it must be 300k tops, otherwise a transition to F2P wouldn´t be implemented so quickly. Also, is the number of subs finally stable? Or it still continues to drop?

Anyone knows the answer?

We don't have exact numbers.... so no one knows. For subs I will guess for you though. 300-600k sounds about right to me.

(all opinion of course)

Anyone knows the answer?

When the cartel market was introduced success of this game no longer is determined by the number of subscribers, but the amount each subscriber pays out.

This is a much better business model because you can probably expect to get a whole year of subscription in one month from purchases from the Cartel Market, than having to wait each month to collect subscription fees. That is if people are willing to spend that amount, which some do. Following the F2P release of Swtor, we can see that EA stock rose up to 20-25% of its value in Oct of 2012. Is this a coincidence that the stock rose after the Cartel Market release? I don't think so.

Currently majority of video game stocks are going down and that's probably has something to do with the shooting last Friday in the elementary school. So don't look at EA stocks now and think that "oh the stock is going down and it must be because everyone is unsubbing from the Makeb expansion". I mean that could also be the reason, but who knows for sure. Law makers are looking at video games as a source or contributor of gun violence. Sigh... the market can be so unpredictable and predictable at time...

Anyway if you really want to get their figures then you should probably look at their most recent quarterly financial statements.

Again, it is very difficult to find such information. However, I , too, will give you my opinion. Since there two types (three if you include preferred) of accounts now: free-to-play and subscription. As far as subscriptions are concerned, I would be very surprised if actual subscriptions are over 300k. I would say there are over 300k free-to-play accounts. The bad thing about this is that I believe that those who are subscription players are responsible for more than 80% of cartel purchases.

The reason I added this last bit of opinion is to show how the game model is working, and as a measurement to consider the future of SWTOR. The subscriber numbers will not grow. Instead, they will stabilize for a while, then eventually begin dropping again...not to quickly. The current subscribers are contributing more than their subscriptions in order to keep this game alive.

I don't know if it matters, tbh. Not at the moment anyway. There are still a lot of hardcore PvPers, and PvEers for that matter, in the game that I know of that are paying subs so they can do whatever they want as often as they want. So there is still a subscriber base, although probably smaller.

But judging from the amount of cartel market crap in the GTN and in use by players.... it's pretty obvious where they're making their money from at the moment. Going after the player's vanity as well as their desire for restricted content was the right move for sure, and as long as they can keep pushing new stuff to the cartel market they won't need a lot of subscriptions to keep the bills paid... that much is obvious.

So, according to posters opinion, SWTOR amount of active subscripstions is between 300k-600k.

An average of 450k then? WoW. less than 20% of the top number.:(:(

Not sure about how I feel about this... I wanted this game to be the next WoW, you know... What did we do wrong?:(

So, according to posters opinion, SWTOR amount of active subscripstions is between 300k-600k.

Not sure about how I feel about this... I wanted this game to be the next WoW, you know... What did we do wrong?:(

Nothing. Just play the game while you still can and enjoy your gaming experience. Looking for others to validate you opinions in these forums will often go badly regardless if you want this game to succeed or not.

What did we do wrong?:(

IMO - they copied WOW too closely, took too long, and bolted on a wonderous, immersive, vastly expensive fully-voiced story mode that people enjoyed and played through - and then quit once the story came to an end. Which shouldn't have surprised anyone.

Never give people what they say they want - by the time you've made it, they want something else.

And that's from someone who actually likes the game and has subbed since day 1,.

WoW has 10 million people. Spread out accross 50 servers, 5 continents and all of the timezones. You probably get to play with 5000 tops. Get over it.

350,000 subs is what I would say. Let's be clear. If every subscriber pays $15 a month, that's still like $60m a year, not counting income from the cartel shop/expansions.

Think about it. If a game was in development for 5 years at a studio that was costing 60m a year, that's $300m. EA can still make considerable profit from this game, if it actually tries.

Wow if most of these predictions are accurate (between 300k to 500k subs) than it has about as many subs as FFXI.

Cheers!

There are no indicators that the game has lost a substancial number of players. Xfire is the only indicator i know of and it only saw a rise since F2P and stabilised. Bioware has also said that all their numbers saw an increase when F2P launched, so the predictions of less than 650k are well off the mark.

According to Xfire. FFXI is the 149th most popular online game (includes all games with online play, not just RPGs), SWTOR is the 12th... i think theres quite a difference here.

Edited by Nemmar

I'd say what was done "wrong" was expecting ANY future MMO to top WOW's numbers. the market has changed since WOW. it's MUCH more competitive. WoW remains king due to inertia (people stay in it cause they have well advanced chars and because it has lots of players) no new MMO is going to manage to bypass this. and when WoW is shut down, it's not going to be replaced by a single MMO. the market has simply changed as there are simply MORE MMOs out there competeing for the Public's attention

Please dont believe numbers doomsayers pull out of their back side. They have an agenda, ignore their posts.

I wish some numbers would be revealed so we could definitly call them on their umm... you know.

Edited by Nemmar

I'm still going to stick with BW's last info. about it.

We have between 500K and 1 million. F2P has added in a good number of people but no way to know how many and there not always paying customers either.

Total players - above a million with F2P but no idea how high.

Total subscription players - less than a million but still above 500K.

Please dont believe numbers doomsayers pull out of their back side. They have an agenda, ignore their posts.

I wish some numbers would be revealed so we could definitly call them on their umm... you know.

MMO Rule : if the numbers are not released, they are bad. If they are, they are good.

WoW released his numbers. Eve did to, and started to it slightly less with the monocle debacle. Lineage 2 never hide it.

However, after the release, both AoC and SWTOR went silent. AoC was a complete failure, as usual for Funcom, and they merged servers after servers, until there are a few of them left.

SWTOR made a f2p system LESS than a year after such an exceptional release. Server merge to. That say a lot.

So yeah, ATM a lot of people are playing. Veterans coming back for the f2p, new player, etc... But how many of them will stay ? The F2P system is so bad if you don't sub, it's a pain to play the game, and frustrating. Many of those new f2p left in disgust, and you can read their taunt and troll on others MMOs forum/general chat.

I'm not a doomsayer, and won't say the game wil close in a matter of month. It doesn't matter since we are dead tomorrow anyway (joke)! I'm just saying that between optimistic and doomsayers, you have the realist.

according to the fanboys, SWTOR has eleventy gajillion subs and makes Bioware and EA enough to fund a gold plated deathstar

"haters" however suggest the number has fallen into the minus figures.

I dont think swtor is profitable to be honest, they will have a hefty license fee to stump up a month, the game is hemorrhaging staff and no transition to free to play has ever smacked so much of a cash grab, they are even selling "hope" with next to no information just before Christmas to make the spreadsheets look better.