Ganner Rhysode: The Guardian

StarSquirrel

"Let me tell you of a vision I have had. An image of the far future. It came to me through the Force some time ago, but only now have I come to understand it. In that vision, I saw a new figure in the mythology of the Yuuzhan Vong. Not a god, not a demon, but an invincible giant called 'the Ganner.' […] They will come to believe that the Ganner, the Jedi Giant, is the Guardian who stands before the Gate to the Lands of the Dead. It is the Ganner—and his forever-blazing blade of light—who stands eternal guard to prevent the shades of the dead from passing back through the Gate, to trouble the living. The curious part of the vision—as if it could be any more curious than it is already—is the words engraved on the stone of the Gate, in an arc above the great head of the Ganner: they're in Basic. […] In deep-carved block letters, it reads: NONE SHALL PASS."

―Vergere, to Jacen Solo

So I was rereading some of the NJO books for fun and was reminded of this. It is far and away one of my favorite moments in the SW expanded universe ever, and Ganner was imo, such a dynamic and well presented character. That said, with all the most powerful threads going up, I was half tempted to suggest Ganner but recalled that his greatest power came during his oneness with the force and so figured it didn't quite qualify.

So about Ganner Rhysode, I'd like to hear people's opinions on him as a character and what they think about his moment of Oneness with the force.

Also, how does his killing of an army of Vong warriors compare to other feats of strength in SW lore?

This is also one of my favourite moments.

Ganner was not a perfect Jedi, he wasn't even a good jedi to be honest. He was sort of background, originally, but as he started getting things to do, well he started messing them up. This event was basically his redemption. It was that despite his failures, he had a role to play in the galaxy. Once he understood what this role was, he became one with the force. He knew that he would not survive, but there is no death, only the force. He was at peace, gave himself over to the force, and fulfilled his destiny.

It certainly is one of the greatest moments in the series.

In terms of other feats. You could argue that both Kyle Katarn and Darth Revan had defeated entire legions in battle, however this was within the context of a game, so might not be as good of a comparison to a literal novel story telling. I do know there are other characters that have obtained oneness with the force, but I am unaware of those details.

Edited by Omnitheo

Ganner Rhysode, died alone and unafraid in some dark dank place that he was never found it. But his death had meaning, and it created a legend.

His words "come one at a time or all at once, I don't give a damn. NONE SHALL PASS." And ya know what, he did exactly that till the moment he died. In that last moment, he lived a life not many jedi get to live. He died so another may live. Is there a higher calling for a jedi than that at the end?

I had totally forgotten about this guy until you made this thread. Thank you for returning to me the memory of this scene of what jedi should all be doing. They shouldn't be trying to dominate politics, or be high generals of some army.

They are simply defenders of the people.

Ganner demonstrates this simple, yet forever memorable ideal in such a great way, he shows us what it means when a jedi does what he is trained to do, protect his allies even at the cost of his own life.

May Ganner rest in peace.