Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Despon's Guide to GSF for Total Beginners

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Despon's Guide to GSF for Total Beginners

SWCNT
06.13.2015 , 09:43 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by caederon View Post
Not every shot you miss is due to bad aim

One of the primary mechanics in GSF which determines whether a shot lands and does damage is a check against the target's Evasion statistic. What that means is: you can 'miss' dead-centered laser, railgun, and rocket shots if a ship has a significant amount of Evasion. Scouts, particularly, begin with high base Evasion and have various active and passive abilities that can grant them even more. Strike Fighters and Gunships have less Evasion and Bombers have the least. Evasion is countered by bonuses to your Accuracy.
You may want to add about the issues of being too close to your target. That magical <500 meters range where the target can be right in front of you and sometimes you never hit it. The reticle doesn't seem to be accurate at really close range.

Linuxizer
06.13.2015 , 07:13 PM | #12
Do not joust every time an enemy is coming.

Look for an advantage (one or more of: damage overcharge, wingman, running interference, energy drain, shield damage, hull damage, etc.). Otherwise, dodge the attack.

This is one aspect of Do not fly slow and straight when you are being shot that is worth emphasizing.
The Lightsaber-jerk

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

caederon
06.14.2015 , 12:10 PM | #13
Thanks for the great suggestions for additions to the guide. I have incorporated them into the text. I'm glad to hear that this has been helpful for some new pilots. If there is an interest, I may also try writing up some Intermediate level thoughts on various topics that are too complex for the scope of this guide (which is probably already pushing the limits of what a brand new pilot can absorb, though they can always come back and re-read).

Despon

Archonitek
06.15.2015 , 12:44 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Linuxizer View Post
Do not joust every time an enemy is coming.

Look for an advantage (one or more of: damage overcharge, wingman, running interference, energy drain, shield damage, hull damage, etc.). Otherwise, dodge the attack.

This is one aspect of Do not fly slow and straight when you are being shot that is worth emphasizing.
Should be more like do not joust EVER. Especially when your just starting out. Just because someone is on 20% hull does't mean they can't pop cd's and blow you away. Always seek to shoot someone in the back.
Eclipse Squadron - Cedwic/Eclipse-seven - Pilot - The Ebon Hawk
Nova Squadron - Zemelda - Lieutenant - The Ebon Hawk
Red Squadron - Teerayne - Senior Spaceman - The Harbinger

Ymris
06.15.2015 , 08:03 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Archonitek View Post
Should be more like do not joust EVER. Especially when your just starting out. Just because someone is on 20% hull does't mean they can't pop cd's and blow you away. Always seek to shoot someone in the back.
While I agree with this, sometimes is just so satisfying to jou--argh! Someone shot me in the back! Tell my baby girl I... love her....
Tensoring straight to hell!

CommanderKiko
06.15.2015 , 08:16 AM | #16
touching butts in GSF is the way to to things. Butts don't have teeth.
GM of Defiant Industries LLC (GSF/PvP)
GM of Defiant Security Services (GSF, new)
- KikÚ, Bastion.

Caernos
06.15.2015 , 09:08 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKiko View Post
touching butts in GSF is the way to to things. Butts don't have teeth.
Bombers called, they'd like to have a word with you.
Cynfor Cinderheart and the Cinderheart Legacy: The Ebon Hawk
The FanFic Works of Caernos:
Red Invitation, Parents,
Beskar Bonds and Cinder Hearts

CommanderKiko
06.15.2015 , 09:50 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Caernos View Post
Bombers called, they'd like to have a word with you.
I mostly fly bombers. Their butts still don't have teeth. Mines and Drones have an activation delay. Drones either have a charge period or a small power pool, and mines have a max range of "hey look there's someone next to me" excluding seekers that have a hard time poping DF sheilds due to their low damage and lock breaks.

Touching butts is smarter than jousting, even against bombers - little LoS machines that they are. You just can't ride their butt while touching it doing it.
GM of Defiant Industries LLC (GSF/PvP)
GM of Defiant Security Services (GSF, new)
- KikÚ, Bastion.

tommmsunb
06.17.2015 , 01:37 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKiko View Post
I mostly fly bombers. Their butts still don't have teeth. Mines and Drones have an activation delay. Drones either have a charge period or a small power pool, and mines have a max range of "hey look there's someone next to me" excluding seekers that have a hard time poping DF sheilds due to their low damage and lock breaks.

Touching butts is smarter than jousting, even against bombers - little LoS machines that they are. You just can't ride their butt while touching it doing it.
It depends, a lot of the time you can't clear your tail without jousting. It's just part of the game.

Also, this thread needs stickies afaic
twitch.tv/tomeateejedota
Xi'ao'prime - Ebon Hawk / Bastion, Tomoya - Jung Ma
Otoshimono - Shadowlands/Progenitor formerly known as: Tomeateeje/Yuuko-San/Rumina/Friendlygurl/Tensai-Hikoushi/Taisetsuna/Yorimoyoi

ALaggyGrunt
06.17.2015 , 01:47 PM | #20
Seismic/interdiction mines are the bane of that strategy. If a bomber is careful, you will get hit with at least one of these.

If you hit the seismic mine, there goes a third (striker) to half (gunship) of your hull. The interdiction mine will take you out of the fight for 15-20 seconds, because that snare is strong.