Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

JediQuaker
08.25.2019 , 10:28 AM | #61
Another simple fact is that, unless they gave an exact time and date of a name purge, the released names could still be re-taken long before the OP could get to them.
If they gave an exact date and time, only those in the closest time zones and/or those who stayed up late, or got up early, or skipped school/work, would get first crack at the names.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

robertthebard
08.26.2019 , 12:58 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Another simple fact is that, unless they gave an exact time and date of a name purge, the released names could still be re-taken long before the OP could get to them.
If they gave an exact date and time, only those in the closest time zones and/or those who stayed up late, or got up early, or skipped school/work, would get first crack at the names.
It gets better: Imagine someone with alts on both servers, but they've been really busy on one or the other, and then the desired name may not free up at all, leaving people that are convinced they're entitled to a name with no other option than to come back and insist that the rules be changed so they can get a desired name. I've seen it happen...
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

darkapprentice
08.27.2019 , 07:17 AM | #63
I have had some trouble finding names that aren't used. But luckily out of the 30+ toons I have, at least during the last merging, I only had conflicts with my own toons on different servers. If I don't have something planned prior to building a toon, I will use the random generator for inspiration and make alterations. I think only one or two toons needed alt codes or apostrophes. Most of that comes from not using well-known names in the Star Wars Universe.
Eclipse Vet (Sarah'Skye/Kara') Pre-CU TKA/Master Doc.
<RRR> Member. Ex member of <-A-> and Musica
Chim: Kyera and Sarah' Ex Member of SoS (Sisters of Serenity)

KaltoVaxcter
09.02.2019 , 07:49 AM | #64
I try to always make my toons names sound like they're taken straight out of one of the movies...
As an example I've got a Female Togruta BH named Lyza Xao'qeen, and a Twi'Lek JK named Rahna Tal'lon...
I've got a human IA named Elena Drax and so on...

To me a name should fit to the Race of the toon, and sound like it belongs in the Galaxy far, far away....
And I've only experienced it twice in 50+ toons, that I'd to need to re-think my naming...

JediQuaker
09.04.2019 , 01:58 PM | #65
Even just on earth there are many cultures with culture-ized naming styles. Just imagine how many naming styles there would be in an entire galaxy.
Bob is just as much a Star Wars name as Xe'klicx'ramma'do is.

Tsillah
09.04.2019 , 02:07 PM | #66
Even just on earth there are many cultures with culture-ized naming styles. Just imagine how many naming styles there would be in an entire galaxy.
Bob's taken. I tried.
Referral link for some extras: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

DarkGruffalo
09.04.2019 , 02:42 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Bob's taken. I tried.
dammit, i wanted that

DreadtechSavant
09.04.2019 , 05:01 PM | #68
Well said.

DreadtechSavant
09.04.2019 , 05:04 PM | #69
Also well said, there are also untold thousands of names that will be unique to individual players that no one else would actually want. Most of mine are unique.

JediQuaker
09.05.2019 , 10:33 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
Bob's taken. I tried.
Not only just "Bob" but many variants such as "Bawb" and "Bobb", as well. (I tried.)
Also Jack (and Jahk) is taken. I tried Jack, but had to settle for Jahk, but then due to a server transfer, Jahk became Charrly.