About Karen Traviss Hate...

Tarbacca

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause she was wet for mandalorians, making them the best at everything and had the best of everything. Fighting, flying, weapons, armor, etc etc and somehow they know how to take out a sith lord better then a jedi master who is trained to fight against the sith. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I really enjoyed Order 66 when I read it, which was the only book of her I'll ever read. Not long after that, she lost all credibility with me.

I'm a self-admitted "Fandalorian," as I was always fascinated by Fett (and later the broader scope of Mandalorians in the EU... mostly through the comics rather than the novels though), but as mentioned by others, some of the abilities that Traviss granted them were definitely over the top.

What really got me (and many others) though, is that she directly attacked her own fans who pointed out conflicts with established lore that she never bothered to research before writing the books, and she also killed a character invented by another author (who was also still writing SW books with that character in it)... without even discussing it with the other author. She even went as far as calling the fans terrorists ("Talifans" and Jedi Neo-Nazis and things like that).

If you're going to write Sci-Fi novels based off a popular Sci-Fi series, expect some overzealous fans. It comes with the territory and the money.

I really enjoyed Order 66 when I read it, which was the only book of her I'll ever read. Not long after that, she lost all credibility with me.

I'm a self-admitted "Fandalorian," as I was always fascinated by Fett (and later the broader scope of Mandalorians in the EU... mostly through the comics rather than the novels though), but as mentioned by others, some of the abilities that Traviss granted them were definitely over the top.

What really got me (and many others) though, is that she directly attacked her own fans who pointed out conflicts with established lore that she never bothered to research before writing the books, and she also killed a character invented by another author (who was also still writing SW books with that character in it)... without even discussing it with the other author. She even went as far as calling the fans terrorists ("Talifans" and Jedi Neo-Nazis and things like that).

If you're going to write Sci-Fi novels based off a popular Sci-Fi series, expect some overzealous fans. It comes with the territory and the money.

Pretty Much this.

I like the idea of Mandalorians, hell, I love the idea of Spartan races in all Universes. But Traviss went too far.

And Order 66 is her best book...

So now you know. Karen Traviss wasn't just responsible for the unsanctioned killing of Mara. She was also responsible for giving the rest of the Expanded Universe writing team a helluva headache and a LOT of garbage to clean up.

For some good writing, I would highly recommend getting Brad Meltzer on the team to contribute. The guy is a great author, and I've read several of his books. Also, for the younger generation, he wrote Identity Crisis and had quite a good run on Justice League for DC Comics. He treats all the characters that aren't his own with the respect they deserve, and only kills them off when given the OK and if it's necessary to the story. I have a feeling if he joined the Star Wars team, they would have an even better run. :)

I agree with the above. Traviss didn't seem to want to think through the idea of a warrior culture very well. I'm a huge fan of the Mandalorian idea, and a amateur Spartan historian, but you have to be able to render the good with the bad, and Traviss at some point stopped doing that. It was all Mary Sue Fett.

Canderous Ordo was a good character in KOTOR because he was rendered warts and all. He was unapologetic of the Mandalorian way, even though it be bloodthirsty. Star Wars fiction, however, is not a place you are likely to see a warrior cult with galactic influence get a thorough deconstruction, it’s just too light.

Cause she was wet for mandalorians, making them the best at everything and had the best of everything. Fighting, flying, weapons, armor, etc etc and somehow they know how to take out a sith lord better then a jedi master who is trained to fight against the sith.

But yet when the Jedi are given the same treatment it's, as another thread said, "the standard quo" and no one says anything.

Again not all jedi are Kenobi, Windu, Skywalker....or they werent supposed to be, actually now they are.

NVM.

But yet when the Jedi are given the same treatment it's, as another thread said, "the standard quo" and no one says anything.

Again not all jedi are Kenobi, Windu, Skywalker....or they werent supposed to be, actually now they are.

NVM.

Power creep has been out of control with the Jedi for a while, but there is no reason to follow bad writing with bad writing. If you are going to deconstruct the Jedi against the backdrop of the Mandalorians, don't make the Mandos just as bad, or worse, characters than the Jedi. I blame the Force Unleashed.

Power creep has been out of control with the Jedi for a while, but there is no reason to follow bad writing with bad writing. If you are going to deconstruct the Jedi against the backdrop of the Mandalorians, don't make the Mandos just as bad, or worse, characters than the Jedi. I blame the Force Unleashed.

While i agree i really dont see anyway to reverse whats been done. To balance the Jedi gods your going to have to make new gods at this point.

Well, as favorite character killers go she's the worst.

I was pissed off at R.A Salvatore for killing Chewie, but I got over it seeing how good Han Solo is as a solo character, even though he tends to get saddled with a new sidekick every 5 minutes...

She offed Mara Jade.

Nuff' said.

NVM.

When did the jedi become the best at everything? Last I checked, they still had their faults.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Also: Spoiler! Star Wars is about the Jedi!

Spolier

Out of the main cast of Star Wars OT or EP4-6 . 1 Jedi ,2 Robots, 2Humans , 1 Wookie

Ofcourse it ranged from EP4 2Jedi , 2 Droids 2 Humans , 1 Wookie

to EP5-6 1 Jedi , 2 Droids , 3 Humans , 1 Wookie

Seems StarWars was about alot more than just Jedi but I guess if you only cared about Jedi than yeah............

Edit, so yeah Jedi are usually in the main spot light but a good writer will do things outside of the very known and over done story of Jedi and Sith................Thankgod for those who think outside the Box and like to do new things

Edited by mefit

Spolier

Out of the main cast of Star Wars OT or EP4-6 . 1 Jedi ,2 Robots, 2Humans , 1 Wookie

Ofcourse it ranged from EP4 2Jedi , 2 Droids 2 Humans , 1 Wookie

to EP5-6 1 Jedi , 2 Droids , 3 Humans , 1 Wookie

Seems StarWars was about alot more than just Jedi but I guess if you only cared about Jedi than yeah............

Edit, so yeah Jedi are usually in the main spot light but a good writer will do things outside of the very known and over done story of Jedi and Sith................Thankgod for those who think outside the Box and like to do new things

Yea, because the whole saga totally isn't about Anakin Skywalker's fall to the Dark Side and Sith-hood and his redemption back to the Light Side. The "Return of the Jedi" title isn't referring to Luke.

So now you know. Karen Traviss wasn't just responsible for the unsanctioned killing of Mara. She was also responsible for giving the rest of the Expanded Universe writing team a helluva headache and a LOT of garbage to clean up.

)

its funny how you cant write anything for Lucas Arts without getting express written permission to change ANY storyline. So, if as you said in the above quote did this on her own , I would ask you how?

And she didnt have a hard on for Mandos, she just told the story from their point of view . So yeah she made the Jedi/ Sith look terrible because from a Mando point of view they are terrible. Almost all of the wars in the Star Wars universe are started by Jedi and Sith either going after each other or they are trying to change how a culture acts using their own sense of morality.

The difference between Jedi and Sith is that the Sith are up front about who they are , Jedi are not.

Yea, because the whole saga totally isn't about Anakin Skywalker's fall to the Dark Side and Sith-hood and his redemption back to the Light Side. The "Return of the Jedi" title isn't referring to Luke.

I always thought it referred to the return of the Jedi order.

No. According to G-Canon (the movies) Luke is the last of the Jedi. The "Return of the Jedi" title refers to Darth Vader becoming Anakin Skywalker again and returning to the Light Side as a Jedi. What do you think Luke's whole "I am a Jedi, like my Father before me" spiel was about?

No. According to G-Canon (the movies) Luke is the last of the Jedi. The "Return of the Jedi" title refers to Darth Vader becoming Anakin Skywalker again and returning to the Light Side as a Jedi. What do you think Luke's whole "I am a Jedi, like my Father before me" spiel was about?

Him being a jedi?

Ask anyone. ANYONE who the main character of episodes 4-6 was.

Here is a hint: NOT DARTH VADER, hell in a new hope he isn’t even the MAIN VILLIAN, let alone the main character.

The OT was a story about the rise of LUKE SKYWALKER. LUKE, not ANNIE.

if you had asked Lucas this before he made the prequels and sold his soul for money while turning his back on everything he used to believe in (I’d like to give GL the benefit of the doubt, but the best I can come up with as an alternate explanation is that he became senile). He would've said the same thing.

Edited by TheBentOne

its funny how you cant write anything for Lucas Arts without getting express written permission to change ANY storyline. So, if as you said in the above quote did this on her own , I would ask you how?

And she didnt have a hard on for Mandos, she just told the story from their point of view . So yeah she made the Jedi/ Sith look terrible because from a Mando point of view they are terrible. Almost all of the wars in the Star Wars universe are started by Jedi and Sith either going after each other or they are trying to change how a culture acts using their own sense of morality.

The difference between Jedi and Sith is that the Sith are up front about who they are , Jedi are not.

Actually, she DID do it without consulting any other members of the writing team. And as far as getting anything approved by Lucas, that only involves killing off G-Canon (movie) characters.

EDIT: In fact, she didn't even bother to tell Tim Zahn (who created the character) what she was planning. That is just dirty right there. I know if I was on a writing team and someone did that to one of my characters that was also extremely popular, I would have some very choice 4 letter words to say to said idiot. Wouldn't you?

Edited by Captain_Zone

Here is a hint: NOT DARTH VADER, hell in a new hope he isn’t even the MAIN VILLIAN, let alone the main character.

if you had asked Lucas this before he made the prequels and sold his soul for money while turning his back on everything he used to believe in (I’d like to give GL the benefit of the doubt, but the best I can come up with as an alternate explanation is that he became senile). He would've said the same thing.

Not that this line of discussion is particularly relevant -- given that the point of contention was that the movies are about Jedi, and clearly both Luke and Anakin fit the bill -- but Lucas said several times, long before the prequels existed, that the original trilogy was about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Sure, if you asked him in 1977, Lucas might've said that A New Hope was a rousing adventure tale about Luke and Han and Leia -- but that's not necessarily reflective of his artistic intentions; it's a reflection of his real-life position at the time, before anyone knew that there'd ever be a sequel.

Edited by Invictos

The entire Star Wars (movie) saga is about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. While the prequel trilogies aren't as well constructed as the OT, if you read all six novelizations in a row the premise is extremely obvious.

The entire Star Wars (movie) saga is about the tragedy of Anakin Skywalker. While the prequel trilogies aren't as well constructed as the OT, if you read all six novelizations in a row the premise is extremely obvious.

Sure, i guess thats what it is now. Thats not what it used to be and IMO it was better that way.

its up for interpretation but the generally accepted meaning is that its about Luke becoming a Jedi ...considering that "Uncle George" didn't decide that the movies were about Darth Vader until he made the prequels