Experienced player help

Jayshames

Ok, so I've taken a few months break and decided to play my assassin again. My assassin is currently level 45 and I have 2062 ranked warzone comms and currently gaining normal comms/ranked.

I haven't done PvE in a while so I'm not sure how the madness spec is, but I'm really enjoying the madness spec for PvP at the moment as I can continually distribute damage over time attacks to the enemy team and have ok survivability if there's only 1 person attacking me (lol)

What I'm wondering is.. when I get to 50 I'd like to be less squishy, which I'd assume would mean going tank gear + spec. I've used the tank spec before and thought it was relatively good but not as great damage (obviously), so..If I were to continue using a DPS spec and use tank gear with a shield, would I still be getting decent damage alongside good survivability, or possibly tank spec with DPS gear?

Or am I just being stupid and my best bet is to go full tank?

TLDR; When I hit 50 assassin, what gear/spec should I be using to gain decent DPS alongside some survivability?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I only read the TL;DR - 23/1/17 is a very powerful spec with respectable damage and amazing survivability.

This is a great spec for new/under-geared assassins. I recommend you read http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548258

Use DPS gear and a focus for your offhand. Do NOT use tank gear or a shield, the defensive stats and shield are garbage in PvP in most scenarios.

Edited by Ghostlink

What I'm wondering is.. when I get to 50 I'd like to be less squishy, which I'd assume would mean going tank gear + spec. I've used the tank spec before and thought it was relatively good but not as great damage (obviously), so..If I were to continue using a DPS spec and use tank gear with a shield, would I still be getting decent damage alongside good survivability, or possibly tank spec with DPS gear?

Or am I just being stupid and my best bet is to go full tank?

Tank spec with DPS gear is definitely the way to go. Dark Charge alone is a massive armor increase, and the self-healing from Harnessed Darkness will still apply. And since you're still in DPS gear, your damage output won't suffer all that much. You won't hit quite as hard or be quite as bursty as a full deception or madness assassin, but you'll survive twice as long.

This is a great spec for new/under-geared assassins. I recommend you read http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548258

Use DPS gear and a focus for your offhand. Do NOT use tank gear or a shield, the defensive stats and shield are garbage in PvP in most scenarios.

It continues to be great when you are geared to the teeth aswell.

For RWZ i would sooner recommend 24/0/17 though.