Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Guard needs to be on a CD

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Guard needs to be on a CD

MackPol's Avatar


MackPol
09.21.2019 , 03:06 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Its not. I've hated the guard mechanic since day 1. Its brain dead, takes zero skill to use and its always been too strong. Why do you think tank tunnel became a thing? Then all of sudden that strategy became taboo. Well maybe if guard wasn't so brain dead....
Play tank in 4s and show us how it takes zero skill.

Seems like guard is the only thing that stops 4s from being AoE dps, smash buttons, attack whatever race...

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.21.2019 , 09:08 AM | #52
Still saying tanking takes zero skill, and yet still nothing on what a dps does that a tank doesnt. So what, it takes negative skill to main a dps class?

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.21.2019 , 10:43 AM | #53
If all a tank can do is periodically use guard, who would want to play that? By gimping their damage for survivability, if they have no guard to use exactly what good would a tank be for a group?

Imagine how boring it would be to play? Imagine how boring team fights would be if all you did was run in and pick one target and attack until they died? At least with consistent guard, a tank can swap and make the other team have to think of other strategies to beat them.

Don't you think having to pick targets smartly adds some complexity to PVP?

I think ideas on how to make guard and PVP more enjoyable are fine. I just think there's more cons than pros though with guard having a cooldown.

If they want to gimp tanks with a guard on cooldown, they might as well remove tanks from the game. Luckily, they aren't going to do any of this, so we are just having fun with a lively debate about guard and tanks in general.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.21.2019 , 11:08 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
If all a tank can do is periodically use guard, who would want to play that? By gimping their damage for survivability, if they have no guard to use exactly what good would a tank be for a group?
Obviously this. But theres little point trying to be reasonable, as neither of us is going to change anyones mind. OP is here to rant and little more, so I may as well entertain myself antagonizing him.

At least then one of us is amused.

Akevv's Avatar


Akevv
09.21.2019 , 11:46 PM | #55
Tanks are virtually extinct in PvP already. Everyone that plays a 'tank' is usually in dps gear anyway. A guard swapping true tank is basically a unicorn. I don't think we need to discourage tanks from playing. If anything, we should be trying to help the profession, make the mitigations actually work, etc.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
09.22.2019 , 11:04 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Don't you think having to pick targets smartly adds some complexity to PVP?
Considering all they have to worry about is the GCD? No not really. If it had a CD and you had to watch for a player getting focused down and timed the guard to prevent them from getting blown up? Then yes, 100% would add to complexity and skill. As it currently is though? lol no. Guard swapping isn't hard at all.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.22.2019 , 02:30 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
Considering all they have to worry about is the GCD? No not really. If it had a CD and you had to watch for a player getting focused down and timed the guard to prevent them from getting blown up? Then yes, 100% would add to complexity and skill. As it currently is though? lol no. Guard swapping isn't hard at all.
and yet, it's still one more thing than a dps has to worry about, difficult or no

Stellarcrusade's Avatar


Stellarcrusade
09.23.2019 , 08:35 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
LOL what? Healing isn't nerfed. What drugs are you on? Healing has been overtuned for years. I can literally run around on my healing Op and never die even with multiple dps jumping on me. Put guard on me and you'll be lucky to get me below 80% hp.
You obviously didn't play when 5.0 launched. Healing was 3x as good as it is now. Hence, nerf. It was nerfed more than once between then and now.

omaan's Avatar


omaan
09.23.2019 , 02:50 PM | #59
Guard needs to be removed from dps specs. It's ridiculous watching these cross-guard tricks between two juggs which saving them since it's much easier for healer to heal up them while they guard each other. My team always does most dps but we still loose because of these cross guard savings. Switching isn't helping and takes much time. It's not ok when dps classes can spam guards on each other non-stop

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
09.23.2019 , 04:57 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Guard needs to be removed from dps specs. It's ridiculous watching these cross-guard tricks between two juggs which saving them since it's much easier for healer to heal up them while they guard each other. My team always does most dps but we still loose because of these cross guard savings. Switching isn't helping and takes much time. It's not ok when dps classes can spam guards on each other non-stop
I'd be fine with removing guard from dps specs of tank capable classes provided they get something to make up for the utility loss.