Walking through empty maps - SW:TOR

tokosan

Pretty much sums this game up. I enjoyed it so far, but then i get to Nar Shaddaa.

I get a quest to travel by taxi (1 min) to a HUGE map with 0 mobs, and walk ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER SIDE OF IT just to have a short conversation.

Then, you have to walk ALL THE WAY BACK and take the taxi to the SAME PLACE YOU CAME FROM and walk ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THAT FREAKING MAP

I just wasted 30 minutes walking through a badly designed map.

Honestly this makes me way angrier than 2 hour queues. Really, bioware? I though you guys were cool. Hope you put more effort into ME3

/rant

Edited by Zilrota
removed, piracy

I feel like the level design is extremely poor as well.

HUGE empty nothingness.

The initial excitement of the game is starting to wear off, and i'm seeing all the faults

*sigh*

Sigh, indeed. BioWare can't win. "The games to linear, whaaaaaaaa" "The games to open and emtpy, waaaaaaaaa"

Nar Shadaa isn't empty by any means... You probably aren't picking up any side quest which would ahve given you plenty to do on the way. And the map isn't that large.

Unless you mean Tatooine. You need your speeder for Tatooine. Otherwise yeah its a huge map.

this X1000

tatooine is bad with a speeder, and then there's the sand sea...*shudder*...

Myeh, my shock and awe days are already over too :(

The story keeps being good, it's just all the side quests you have to do, where a lot of them are mind-numbingly boring, but were okay to do if it werent for the HUGE amount of walking pointless kilometers back and forth constantly.

Just wait til you get to coruscant, the place is even bigger than nar shadaa :(

-And while in my rant mood, what's with the 30sec cooldown timer on companion gifts? I mean, the only thing it does is annoy people. lol.

Sigh, indeed. BioWare can't win. "The games to linear, whaaaaaaaa" "The games to open and emtpy, waaaaaaaaa"

those two complaints aren't exclusive, a game can be a million square miles and if all you ever have to do is go point A to point B its linear

Myeh, my shock and awe days are already over too :(

The story keeps being good, it's just all the side quests you have to do, where a lot of them are mind-numbingly boring, but were okay to do if it werent for the HUGE amount of walking pointless kilometers back and forth constantly.

Just wait til you get to coruscant, the place is even bigger than nar shadaa :(

-And while in my rant mood, what's with the 30sec cooldown timer on companion gifts? I mean, the only thing it does is annoy people. lol.

Tbh I don't care that it's big. I love big maps. The problem is that it's big, lifeless, empty, and it's the exact same everywhere without any landmarks to really distinguish areas. It's just the same boring futuristic industrial setting over and over. It gets old faster than a matchstick burns.

Edited by yomanaaiton

I just stepped on Tatooine, please don't tell me it's that bad.

I'm already disappointed because it's not an open map and I need taxis to transport :mad:

you don't need taxis in tatooine, you just need them to not waste hours of travel time.

Hope you put more effort into ME3 (which I will pirate, get some of this wasted money back)

/rant

Never a good idea to confess to piracy in an official forum of the game company you going to pirate a game of when they have your subscription and credit card details.

On the subject at hand, yes the maps are lifeless. An issue many raised in the beta phase. It was, as usual, downplayed by the fans with the infamous argument: "It's only Beta, in final there will be X, Y and Z and it will be glorious".

Tbh I don't care that it's big. I love big maps. The problem is that it's big, lifeless, empty, and it's the exact same everywhere without any landmarks to really distinguish areas. It's just the same boring futuristic industrial setting over and over. It gets old faster than a matchstick burns.

that's what happens in a universe where every planet has one terrain, you can thank George Lucas for the boring planets

this X1000

tatooine is bad with a speeder, and then there's the sand sea...*shudder*...

I just was enjoying the ride. I was so impressed with Tatooine and Alderaan for their big, giant, spacious maps. Yes, you have a bunch of dead time getting someplace, but it's gorgeous to look at. I wish I could teleport to my in-laws house, but unfortunately I have to travel an hour and half and put up with the other road users, and the drive isn't all that pretty. As I said above, if everything was packed together, we'd hear wailing about how small the planet was, and how linear the game was.

With quick travel to any point, and the taxi system, SWTOR, to me, is unprecedented in how fast you can get around from quest to quest.

Three years of post trawling has shown me unequivocally that there is no consensus of opinion in the MMO world. It's just millions of different opinions, all of which think theirs is the only correct one.

i dont know why, in any MMO, as soon as someone points a fault out they immediately throw out the classic "maybe you should play a game that is fun??!" or the ever so effective "1 less in queue lolol!"

i enjoy the game but honestly every long hallway i walk down brings my rage level higher to a point of uninstalling.

that's what happens in a universe where every planet has one terrain, you can thank George Lucas for the boring planets

Single Biome planets is a huge problem in science fiction. Was Avatar any different. Pandora may as well have been Endor. I would love to see a game make a planet and have it made of seperate zones that you shuttle too were you visit each of the terrain types. Instead of going to tatooine or alderaan or taris, you go to the mountains, the desert, and the ruined city of a single planet.

Edited by Rikalonius

I just was enjoying the ride. I was so impressed with Tatooine and Alderaan for their big, giant, spacious maps. Yes, you have a bunch of dead time getting someplace, but it's gorgeous to look at. I wish I could teleport to my in-laws house, but unfortunately I have to travel an hour and half and put up with the other road users, and the drive isn't all that pretty. As I said above, if everything was packed together, we'd hear wailing about how small the planet was, and how linear the game was.

With quick travel to any point, and the taxi system, SWTOR, to me, is unprecedented in how fast you can get around from quest to quest.

Three years of post trawling has shown me unequivocally that there is no consensus of opinion in the MMO world. It's just millions of different opinions, all of which think theirs is the only correct one.

you get to drive in those big, spacious maps eh? must be nice as im walking through an incredibly long hallway in nar shaddaa at level 21.

oh, but they were kind enough to put like 2 "speeders" that you can pick up and ride... but perform a single action or get into combat and you dismount.

Nothing to do with Lucas, actually. Lucas only showed tidbits of the planets on the movies, exactly what he needed to show. Movie lasts 2 hours and shows several planets. The game lasts like 8-10 hours PER planet, there has to be a lot more variety than in the movies.

And there's literally a TON of lore to add variety on the maps. See the Sarlacc on Tatooine and other doodads like it that give the specific area of the map something special to remember it by. Every area on the map should have at the least one remarkable point of interest of that sort.

Nar Shadaa, Coruscant and such had nothing like that. Coruscant had the Senate, but everywhere else it was the same. Nar Shadaa was the same everywhere (and pretty much the same as Coruscant-shameless copy paste so it got older faster if you were Republic).

Now add on top of that that the maps are mostly deisgned to be progressed in a linear fashion, and it's simply not good level design.

Edited by yomanaaiton

you get to drive in those big, spacious maps eh? must be nice as im walking through an incredibly long hallway in nar shaddaa at level 21.

oh, but they were kind enough to put like 2 "speeders" that you can pick up and ride... but perform a single action or get into combat and you dismount.

The "speeders" in nar shaddaa are just adding insult to injury really. They arent faster than normal running with sprint on, rofl

Nar Shadaa isn't empty by any means... You probably aren't picking up any side quest which would ahve given you plenty to do on the way. And the map isn't that large.

Unless you mean Tatooine. You need your speeder for Tatooine. Otherwise yeah its a huge map.

Tatooine is a huge map but it is far from empty. I agree he must have skipped the side quests, I have not been to any planet yet that was empty.