Walking through empty maps - SW:TOR

tokosan

I'm more surprised that the mobs don't have paths that they follow. Instead they are stood in one spot the entire time and don't move until agroed. I've never seen that in a game.

This I agree with. Yes, I would like to see more pathing from the NPCs. Although, it could be irritating in WoW because sometimes they'd just walk away while you were interacting with them, but yes, people and animals should move more.

A few world events wouldn't hurt either. Maybe in the future.

you get to drive in those big, spacious maps eh? must be nice as im walking through an incredibly long hallway in nar shaddaa at level 21.

oh, but they were kind enough to put like 2 "speeders" that you can pick up and ride... but perform a single action or get into combat and you dismount.

It takes less time to sprint the alleys of Nar Shadda than to speeder across the dune sea, I promise.

Tatooine is a huge map but it is far from empty. I agree he must have skipped the side quests, I have not been to any planet yet that was empty.

you misunderstand. the whole map was not empty... just several portions of it. What happens is that you finish a bunch of side quests and so on, then you end up getting like one random quest that sends you ALL the way to the other side of what you just did.

And I did do this "watcher X" quest for agents... its a special prison districts that is nothing but a super long hallway and conversation. that is it. no mobs, no side quests, nothing.

i am spending the majority of my time on auto run not doing anything. the game should not be that way

Nothing to do with Lucas, actually. Lucas only showed tidbits of the planets on the movies,

Uhm, no. Tatooine was all desert, Endor was all forest, Hoth was all snow, Coruscant was all city. Naboo had a swamp and some grassland, but it was still pleasent. Although they did have "an ocean". We don't know what all fo Geonosis looked like, but from the look of it from space, and all that we did see, it seemed pretty much identical. It looked like Mars. Maybe their were some Geonosian polar ice caps or something, we don't know.

Star Wars falls smack dab into the old single biome trope that a lot of science fiction has.

oh god. is it at least full of quests and non-repetitive scenery

Didn't I just say the dune sea :) over and over and over the hills you go. Actually, yes the dune sea is pretty much like the Saraha, but there are other more rocky areas, and some great underground stuff. I also love the Tusken oasis at the other end of the dune sea.

Honestly I don't know what planet some of you live on. I think your expectations are higher than anything anyone could ever deliver. These maps are stunning. Other than the bad memory leak, which was a bad oversight by BioWare, I think Taris is great. I love looking up at the 300 year old buildings whose tops have been blown off and there is nothing by splintered metal reaching skyward. I'm very happy with what I've seen so far.

I'd like someone to site me example of a "non linear" game that has all these wondrous features that everyone keeps talking about.

Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa are the most horrible worlds ever created. This whole city planet is incredibly boring. Coruscant being MUCH worse. I feel bad for those who are Republic, it's literally the second planet they visit and they don't have much of an option to zip right through it. On the other hand, by the time I got to Nar Shaddaa on Empire I was overleveled that I skipped every quest and did only the class quest to get off the planet.

Uhm, no. Tatooine was all desert, Endor was all forest, Hoth was all snow, Coruscant was all city. Naboo had a swamp and some grassland, but it was still pleasent. Although they did have "an ocean". We don't know what all fo Geonosis looked like, but from the look of it from space, and all that we did see, it seemed pretty much identical. It looked like Mars. Maybe their were some Geonosian polar ice caps or something, we don't know.

Star Wars falls smack dab into the old single biome trope that a lot of science fiction has.

This is really faulty logic and doesn't excuse Bioware from not fleshing out the planets well.

There's a TON of landmarks that fit a 'desert' biome. Sarlacc is one of them and really sticks out in that area of the game. 'Dragon bones' (like in KoTOR 2 Tatooine) could be a theme for another area, and so on. Of course they have to come up with more stuff because the world is huge, but I'm not a map designer, it's not my job to come up with those. My job is to play the game and see if I feel they could have done a better job, and yes, they could. Lucas has nothing to do with it.

And because my biggest gripe is Coruscant and Nar Shadaa, there's about a million different doodads you can add in an industrial setting to make the areas distinguishable, the most OBVIOUS one being having some content on top of a skyscraper instead of being inside buildings all the damn time. I blame the map designers and game designers at Bioware and no one else.

Edited by yomanaaiton

funny reading this... I posted in a random guild I was in about what they thought about low consumer satisfaction numbers and brought up some of these points I immediately was berated. All I did was bring it up for discussion....seems like a lot of people are in denial and still riding the hype train. I for one jumped off as soon as I got to Nar Shadaa...

I /gquit soon after only to be sent whispers of "good riddance" and vulgarity...I guess its a sore topic

i feel really bad because i told one of my friends this game is really awesome, and he went and bought it

now i kinda hate it

What, seriously? Because of two zones (one assuming you're playing the Empire).

I didn't like Nar Shadaa all that much, but it's a quick zoom and you're off to bigger and better things.

Relax, it gets better.

Lol, Nar Shaddar is tiny compared to later planets. Just wait till you have to travel those, then between stations and planets to turn in a quest; literally spend 30-60 mins for 12k exp (or none at all). After lvl 40, that sorta exp doesn't even move the bar much at all.

But I digress, havin a gas. I played Rift for 6 months and man that game is miniscule in world map size compared to TOR. Hate small world MMOs with a passion.

• 2 weeks later...
Sigh, indeed. BioWare can't win. "The games to linear, whaaaaaaaa" "The games to open and emtpy, waaaaaaaaa"

making a map bigger by just spacing stuff out more is not more content.

First time I got to alderan I was "this place is great its massive".

tehn I got 4 quests in a zone the equivalent of a whole zone in RIFT, spent 20mins travelling back and forth for 4 kill X quests and moved on......

Thats not making the world large, thats just increasing time sinks.

I'm more surprised that the mobs don't have paths that they follow. Instead they are stood in one spot the entire time and don't move until agroed. I've never seen that in a game.

This I don't get. Why are people making this up? There are patrols and there are stationary mobs. It is exactly the same as in every single other MMO out there.