1.4s GCD: 1213 alacrity

1.3s GCD: 3206 alacrity

With 3% buff (Gunnery/Arsenal/Combat/Carnage):

1.4s GCD: 663 alacrity

1.3s GCD: 2374 alacrity

With 5% buff (TK/Lightning)

1.4s GCD: 331 alacrity

1.3s GCD: 1895 alacrity

Semi-layman’s opinion: the 1.3 GCD, while attainable, won’t be worth the cost to critical for those classes without an alacrity buff. Seems totally reasonable for TK/Lightning, not sure on the 3% classes.

Eric confirmed this was a typo/misunderstanding. This just refers to stims, not the gcd in general.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9773998#edit9773998

Except there is this thread where people are claiming otherwise

His clarification was that it affects both stim cds and the gcd all the time. People were asking if it only affected gcd when a stim was on. I tested it on a dummy with StarParse open and my apm was right at 45, which is what it would be with no Alacrity. It only affects ability cds, internal proc timers, and resource regeneration now, which makes everything get out of sync.

That thread is from last week and now this thread is popping up. And I'll be honest, the clarification from Eric isn't much better. The phrase

Just GCD / CD on stims.

doesn't mean anything ... there is a global cooldown ... and there is a stim cooldown. There is no such thing as a global cooldown on stims. So, when I read "Just the GCD/CD on stims", I interpret the slash to mean "Just the global cooldown, and the cooldown on stims."

And this is what the Patch Notes still say

Items + Economy

The global cooldown and cooldown of stims is no longer affected by Alacrity.

which still seems to imply what I fear, which is that it doesn't affect GCD anymore.

So, we need someone to replicate dipstik's testing from here and figure out if spamming your basic attack at different levels of alacrity results in a statistically significant difference in APM.

Also, just spamming your basic attack, if the GCD is 1.5 seconds, then your abilities per minute should be 40. If your GCD is 1.3 seconds, you should get 46 APM. So the poster in this thread:

I tested it on a dummy with StarParse open and my apm was right at 45

Would imply that they have a much lower GCD than the default.

Any difference more than 2 APM at alacrity rating levels that cross the new thresholds (1212 and 3208) would not be expected to be the result of random chance based on dipstik's results. So if you are getting more than 42 APM spamming your basic attack with any alacrity rating more than 1212 then alacrity is likely still affecting the global cooldown.

EDIT: Cogesh has a parse on Parsely with IO that has an APM of about 45. But there's no information as to how much alacrity they have.

Edited by phalczen

there is a global cooldown ... and there is a stim cooldown. There is no such thing as a global cooldown on stims. So, when I read "Just the GCD/CD on stims", I interpret the slash to mean "Just the global cooldown, and the cooldown on stims.".

I wouldn’t put a lot of weight into the fact that he hasn’t corrected/rephrased it yet – kinda crazy week for him, no doubt. I’ll try to test it tonight. But I think the context of the question, not just Eric’s answer, makes it clear that the GCD reduction in general is still in effect.

Question: part about global cooldown - does this mean global cooldown only when you use stim, or global cooldown in general? like always?

Answer: Just GCD / CD on stims.

I think part of what’s going on is that people who were above the 1.3s threshold the day before 6.0 suddenly weren’t on Tuesday – my main’s alacrity rating hadn’t changed, but the % had dropped below the threshold, even while still 70. Experimentally/anecdotally, I've noticed a slow down when I've dropped below the 1.4 threshold while gearing. Just looking at some parses on parsley, there’s abilities with < 1.5s between them pretty consistently, and right around 1.4s.. But I’ll try to test it tonight.

Edit: I also halfway think Eric meant adrenals not stims.

Edited by kunderam

For classes without an inherent alacrity buff:

1.4s GCD: 1213 alacrity

1.3s GCD: 3206 alacrity

Thanks for the info. So if I have a sniper set bonus of +2% alacrity, do I still have to meet these alacrity numbers to get 1.3 or 1.4 GCD? Or something less?

Thanks for the info. So if I have a sniper set bonus of +2% alacrity, do I still have to meet these alacrity numbers to get 1.3 or 1.4 GCD? Or something less?

It is the same alacrity PERCENTAGE goal as it always was. You need a final alacrity PERCENTAGE of at least 7.14% to reduce the global cooldown to 1.4 seconds, just like in 5.x. The only thing that has changed is the formula that converts alacrity rating into a percentage.

Of course, that’s all assuming that the cooldown reduction afforded by alacrity is still in effect, which is under debate because of the patch notes.

Just to make sure you know, a set bonus that has +2% alacrity adds two percent of your alacrity total, not two percent alacrity, so if you have 1000 points of alacrity, a set bonus will put you at 1020. Also, set bonus to a stat do not stack from different sets so if you have three +2 alacrity sets, it will only give you two percent alacrity, not six.

Folks!

Seriously, stop running around expecting someone else to provide the alacrity Kool Aid or Religion for you.

Do your OWN testing on your personal starship using your OWN test dummy each time you make any gearing changes to your toon.

1. Stand in front of the dummy.

2. Have Starparse running.

3. Micro key or Micro mouse button spam an instant cast no-cost ability for about 1 minute.

. . . which is about 40 activations.

So count forty activations and then stop...

Open up combat log portion of Starparse.

Find the timestamp for the last activation:

LAST TIMESTAMP / ( 40 - 1 ) = RAW GCD

What you are looking for when averaging out several tests:

1.4900 - 1.5044 = 1.5 GCD

1.3900 - 1.4044 = 1.4 GCD

1.2900 - 1.3044 = 1.3 GCD <----- Don't bother with this one...

For example here's a parse - tested in house:

Powertech Pyrotech

276 Blue Gear w/ 228 Augments

No Tactical or Bonus Set

No Grapple Hook Gimmick in Utility Points

No Adrenal

1670 Alacrity Points

1.4 GCD

11.9k DPS

http://parsely.io/parser/view/454625/0

No Kool Aid, No Religion, just our own testing on our own personal starship test dummy.

=8-)

Edited by orig_mrrabbit

Why do you get so mad mrrabbit? Do you prefer the typical post whining about 6.0, ugly armor or some bug? Or "Thanks for Theron Shan" nonsense? People posted some useful information here, including yourself. Alacrity Koolaid is good for the soul.

Now do you have any grape flavored CRIT Koolaid to offer? What is the percentage after which diminishing returns kicks in for CRIT? I am currently at 45% CRIT and 67% CRIT multiplier. Thanks.

Do your OWN testing on your personal starship using your OWN test dummy each time you make any gearing changes to your toon.

I don't think the snark was necessary, but I had planned to try some testing as soon as my schedule permitted. Furthermore, your parse has nothing to do with your proposed test setup, and does nothing to answer the question of whether or not alacrity is working to reduce the GCD. You don't even mention your alacrity rating to help determine its value in your rotation.

So, my results are as follows:

The least common multiple of 14 and 15 is 210, which means that if you run the test for at least 21 seconds you should see a 1 APM difference under perfect conditions. Since the standard deviation on dipstik's testing here is usually around 1.5, and you need about two standard deviations to capture roughly 97.5% of all outcomes, I figured I should shoot for a duration that would allow for three APM difference between the sets. A test run of 63 seconds would do that, and I opted for 84 seconds for a little extra wiggle room. An 84 second test at a 1.5s GCD would mean 56 ability activations (40 APM) and 60 if the GCD is 1.4s (42.8 APM).

I did a baseline 0 Alacrity parse using only my default Strike basic attack on my level 75 Seer Sage. I did it against the ship operations training dummy without any modifiers. I ran the test for about a minute and 29 seconds and hit 38.2 abilities per minute according to StarParse. Given that there was about two seconds from the saber strike's end to when I applied Force Armor to mark the end of the test, and then another just-under-three seconds when combat officially ended, that's pretty close to an expected 40 APM. But, I verified this by looking at the actual # of saber strikes and actual time. There were 56 in 84 seconds ... exactly as predicted with a 1.5s GCD and exactly at 40 APM.

I then did a similar test with 1298 Alacrity Rating which is a 7.58% alacrity percentage on my character sheet. That's exactly the percentage that dipstik's formulae from here would predict, so the combat formulae didn't change from PTS to LIVE. This test ended up being 1:25 with 183 hits of Saber Strike, which means 61 strikes in 85 seconds. APM on that run was 41.3 APM because of the activation of Force armor and the delay in exiting combat, but 61 strikes in 85 seconds is an APM of 43.7.

Now, that's not enough test runs to be confident from a statistical standpoint. That being said, I'm seeing a ~3 APM difference which is on the order of what a person should see if the the GCD is 1.4s instead of 1.5s. I'm at work so that's all the time I had to test today, but if I get the opportunity I may have more time to test later this week. I probably don't need to bother using Force Armor at the end as it just adds to the downtime and dilutes the actual APM. StarParse is accurate enough at figuring the end of combat.

But I know that others have validated dipstik's equation accuracy, and I understand enough statistics to find no fault in dipstik's PTS GCD testing. I did a single test with results that compare favorably with the PTS results. These seem to suggest that alacrity is still affecting the GCD as it was pre-6.0, and based on dipstik's PTS testing, is highly likely to still be rounding up to the nearest tenth of a second.

Edit: I also halfway think Eric meant adrenals not stims.

So a little more on this thought. Pre-6.0, if you were a Carnage Mara/Combat Sent, or a Sorc/Sage and you popped Berserk/Zen or Mental Alacrity/Polarity Shift, right before using an adrenal, you'd be shaving quite a bit of time off that adrenal's CD. Adrenals have a CD of 3 min usually, so popping a huge alacrity buff like those would reduce the CD to something close to 2 minutes, depending on how much baseline alacrity percentage you have. Now, I can't imagine that they weren't accounting for that in their balance targets for Mara/Sent, and no one was ever worried about Sorc/Sage overtaking Mara in the DPS leaderboards, but my guess is that the Devs felt that this was in need of a nerf. Furthermore, there isn't a cooldown on stims ... you can pretty much re-apply them right away. And the duration has never been affected by alacrity as far as I could tell.

So, based on this information, Musco must have meant that the cooldown of adrenals is no longer affected by alacrity, and the whole GCD thing was a massive red herring.

Just to make sure you know, a set bonus that has +2% alacrity adds two percent of your alacrity total, not two percent alacrity, so if you have 1000 points of alacrity, a set bonus will put you at 1020. Also, set bonus to a stat do not stack from different sets so if you have three +2 alacrity sets, it will only give you two percent alacrity, not six.

I think that was true for amplifiers but is that actually true for 2-piece bonuses?

What is the percentage after which diminishing returns kicks in for CRIT? I am currently at 45% CRIT and 67% CRIT multiplier. Thanks.

Diminishing returns is always active, regardless. There is probably a point at which you might be better off with more mastery, from Versatile Augments, than critical rating. But this is only relevant for classes that are heavily weapon damage (white damage) based. So, Marksman Snipers are heavily weapon damage (white damage) based but Virulence and Engineering are more Tech-damage (yellow damage) based. For those tech-damage heavy sniper disciplines, that crossover point is at a much much higher critical rating.

More importantly, this was in late 5.x when there were no rating 240 Overkill augments. Best-in-slot meant choosing between Critical and Versatile rating 240 augments, and again that was for mostly white damage classes. I haven't seen anyone post the numbers on a level 75 legendary Overkill augment yet, if there even is one. If there is one, it will be even more complicated to figure out three competing variables instead of two. Not to mention that we have a lot less stat budget to play with now that we need more accuracy rating and more alacrity rating to reach the same targets as before. So, you either need to wait a lot longer for the theory crafters or do the analysis on your own, and on that point mr robot was correct, if a little rude.

Edited by phalczen

Yep, this. which is a bummer. OP might want to check out this new gear planning tool: http://www.charplanner.com/

Will be helpful particularly considering that the new augments will be very expensive/difficult to craft .

Wow!

One person insinuates anger where there was none...

... =8-) <------ that's a happy rabbit.

Another implies snark where there was none...

Pointing that which lies at the tip of one's nose is not snark. It's the truth. Everyone has a starship after Chapter 1, and the test dummy is available legacy wise. Starparse is free.

But too many people instead of doing their own testing keep looking for someone else to provide the "magic" number upon which they then run off promulgating like some religion.

The parse I provided of my son's Powertech Pyrotech parse was useful . . . BUT FOR ONE CLASS AND SPEC only:

1670 Alacrity Points

1.4 GCD

It basically provides a hint for those running Powertech Pyrotech's.

...overbored did the testing himself to get his toon back to "normal" - the alacrity points noted above.

Problem is, in the previous iteration of the "alacrity magic number " religion people were "smoking" one pipe for all classes.

Which was annoying...

Phalczen...I glad you brought up Carnage Marauder and the alacrity effect on adrenal cooldown. I may just level up mine next just to see if that's changed.

Also, as a side note, we have a Powertech Pyrotech on Satele Shan in 306 gear w/ 228 augs at 1.5 GCD parsing 20k. Just a reminder that rotation and being a "rotation God" does make a helluva difference.

=8-)

• 1 month later...
...Do your OWN testing on your personal starship using your OWN test dummy each time you make any gearing changes to your toon..... Yada, yada, yada

Why would I want to do all that for something so relatively minor? The best I could hope for by doing all that would be to shave a few points off my Alacrity to put a few in Critical. Well, whoop-de-do! 🙂

I don't think I even have a test dummy in my ship. And aren't there two types of dummy - PvP or OP? Which one should I use?

I realize that might be a thing that a dedicated min-maxer or PvP or OPs player may enjoy, or at least feel they need to do, but we casual PvE'ers don't need to bother. Just going with typical values, taking bonuses into account, is good enough. 😉

And, btw, here's a question....

Have you tested your overall DPS using various Alacrity/CD values? You may find that, although you are doing more attacks/skills with a lower CD rate, are you doing as much overall damage due to the reduction in Crit and w/e? And, if you do do more damage, is it enough to bother with?

Edited by JediQuaker

Have you tested your overall DPS using various Alacrity/CD values? You may find that, although you are doing more attacks/skills with a lower CD rate, are you doing as much overall damage due to the reduction in Crit and w/e? And, if you do do more damage, is it enough to bother with?

I realize you were asking another player this question but you might want to know, that I did test the low and high alacricity. I'm not a NiM raider by any stretch, but sacrificing critical for alacricity is worth is.

On a ruffian (dot spec) scoundrel, same set bonus/tacitcal, and only differences were the alacricity and critical.

Low alacricity was parsing for roughly 17k dps.

High alacricity was roughly 19k dps.

This worked out for the legacy OPs as well. I do about 10% better dps with high alacricity than with low. Getting extra hits in during your uptime on the boss is more important than getting bigger hits from the higher critical stat.

I realize you were asking another player this question but you might want to know, that I did test the low and high alacricity. I'm not a NiM raider by any stretch, but sacrificing critical for alacricity is worth is.

On a ruffian (dot spec) scoundrel, same set bonus/tacitcal, and only differences were the alacricity and critical.

Low alacricity was parsing for roughly 17k dps.

High alacricity was roughly 19k dps.

This worked out for the legacy OPs as well. I do about 10% better dps with high alacricity than with low. Getting extra hits in during your uptime on the boss is more important than getting bigger hits from the higher critical stat.

Hmm, are you sure you're using ~3200 alacrity...? Because alacrity relic is BiS now for non-Dxun raids, and the new ability resets the CD of Stimboost/Pugnacity. With stimboost, that should put you well over the ~15% alacrity threshold for 1.3 gcd. Same with the Alacrity relic.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Hmm, are you sure you're using ~3200 alacrity...? Because alacrity relic is BiS now for non-Dxun raids, and the new ability resets the CD of Stimboost/Pugnacity. With stimboost, that should put you well over the ~15% alacrity threshold for 1.3 gcd. Same with the Alacrity relic.

Quite sure, my main spec is heals, so I've been running with a tiny bit above 3206 for a while for that spec, and switching to high alacricity on the dps spec for testing was very easy.

I don't use clicky relics, they might be BiS for the NiM types raiders, but I'm really nowhere near that level and flub the rotation enough without adding a clicky relic to it. I use the devastating vengeance for legacy content. (and ephemeral mending, but mainly because the mastery/power relics are useless)

I can confirm that two sets with 2% Alacrity do NOT stack with each other.

Not only are you right on this, but I didn't even see a change with ONE set.

I actually submitted a bug report to Bioware.

I also informed that by the way they worded it for each set's bonus AND for the Flagship Zeal Set Bonus . . .

. . . it should be Current Alacrity Rating % + 2%

And again when adding a second set.

I'm of half a mind to ask for 5 Million Back + 15k Tech Fragments.

I'll probably end up re-shelling my Arsenal Merc...I like the Apex Predator one, but I typically do not roll on gear in OPs.

=8-(

• 1 month later...
This is good information, Can someone give me the percentage goals. I see someone has mentioned 7.14 for 1.4s what's the percentage target for 1.3s?

percentage goals are still exactly the same as before

1.0 = 50.00% (only obtainable by Lightning Sorcerer w/ Polarity active and Focal Lightning procced)

1.1 = 36.36% (only obtainable by Any Sorcerer w/ Polarity active)

1.2 = 25.00%

1.3 = 15.38%

1.4 = 7.14%

1.5 = 0.00%

(Values rounded to 4 places, actual value is [(1.5 / Target_GCD) - 1]

(edited above for mistake)

if you want the formula for finding the point goals in 6.0, it's

Alacrity = Roundup( [Log(1 - (Target_Percentage - Bonus_Alacrity_Percentage) / 0.3) / Log( 29 / 30 )] * 151.2 ) - Bonus Alacrity_Points

Where

• Log is base 10
  • Bonus_Alacrity_Ponts come from objects that add to alacrity, like primeval fatesealer relic / Adrenal
  • Target_Percentage = (1.5 / Desired_GCD) - 1
  • Bonus_Alacrity_Percentage is any class or skill ability that adds percentage alacrity
    • (Any Sorc) Polarity Shift = +20% (Skill Proc)
    • Carnage Mara = (lvl 12 Ataru Form Passive) +3%
    • Lightning Sorc = +1-5% (lvl 44 Focal Lightning Proc)
    • Arsenal Merc = (lvl 12 High velocity gas cylinder Passive) +3%

Imperial class names used because that's what I run mostly

Edited by Void_Singer