Which strongholds make the best fortresses

ragnarian

im looking at the various strongholds and trying to decide which to buy, i want to turn whichever one i buy into a fortress, guards, barricades, turrets, the works.

however, i cant decide which stronghold makes the best fortress.

Alderaan: a literal castle, seems like itd make a good fortress home, although the hooks outside seem rather limited, especially by the river, the place where id like to put alot of sandbags, barricades and guards.

Manaan: it looks like the area around the initial arrival spot can be fortified easily, with some hooks for large AA turrets to the sides, although there doesnt seem to be much 'home' potential, and is rather small compared to Alderaan or Yavin.

Yavin IV: large jungle temple, with a long open bridge? sounds like a great club/fortress combo! the front being a club, with the bridge and are beyond being fortified, although i dont think the 'home' aspect is easy to build on.

Rishi: not seen enough to know anything about it.

im not a fan of Nar Shadaa Aesthetic, so its not an option to me.

Corusant/Dromund Kaas: good homes, bad fortresses, not much to say

so, any opinions/ideas as to which i place i should buy for a good Fortress locale?

edit:

found out there is/was a stronghold on umbara, a mobile train at that! from what ive seen of it, it looks great, AA turrets on top, rows of droids inside, couple of areas in the middle for a home, although i can only imagine what the lag would be like if it was filled!

Edited by ragnarian

I'd go for Alderaan, personally. If it's an actual fortress, there's no real point in ad-hoc fieldworks like sandbags, and the front steps would be easy to put a bunch of turrets and the like on.

True ...

Although a good alternate might be Tatooine as well !! Idea l place to set up defensive items as well as the fact that some of it's either in the side of a cliff or underground. Setting up bunker like installations should be interesting !

(Just a thought)

Edited by OlBuzzard

I'd go for Alderaan, personally. If it's an actual fortress, there's no real point in ad-hoc fieldworks like sandbags, and the front steps would be easy to put a bunch of turrets and the like on.

while that is true, i feel like adding in the more makeshift defensive stuff like sandbags and barricades would add to the feeling much more.

also, after checking, the 'trenches' at the front steps are too big for anything other than the large tower turrets.

Edited by ragnarian

Well, when you consider the 'current' state of affairs on Alderaan - normally peaceful planet that's been in a civil war anywhere from ten to twenty years - it's not that hard to see the Estate being a former noble's estate converted into a fortress with sandbags and other improvised defensive emplacements, the addition of defensive guns, etc. The key thing, I think, with turning the Alderaan Estate into a fortress would be remembering not to neglect defenses on the back side (so to speak; the Mountain Retreat outside).

As for hooks, you can always select a hook and change the layout, from Starship/Centerpiece to, for example, a Large/Medium Cross.

Personally, I went with Tatooine to turn into a military base for my Legacy; defensive emplacements and weapons on the 'surface' level, along with sundry details (radars, antennae, etc.) and larger ground vehicles.

@OP - you didn't mention Tatooine. Tatooine can make an interesting fortress. There's only 1 land based entrance to it - from the desert. The cliffside balcony can be the 'home' part**.

Yavin 4 would be good because it's made of stone, and therefore, fairly strong, but it would be hard to know where to put the defenses because there's so many external attack vectors.

** My Tatooine SH has some defensive turrets around the desert entrance, and some other spots, but that's just for defense against the sand people. It also has one of those large turret cannons firing onto the air, but that's just for 'show'.

Edit - show's over. The turret got replaced during the 'junk shop' mod. :)

Edited by JediQuaker

while that is true, i feel like adding in the more makeshift defensive stuff like sandbags and barricades would add to the feeling much more.

also, after checking, the 'trenches' at the front steps are too big for anything other than the large tower turrets.

Can the hooks not be changed to a smaller hook. Normally you can do that.

Can the hooks not be changed to a smaller hook. Normally you can do that.

not what i mean, as you walk up the stairs to the entrance, there is a landing area half way up, and at the top fo the stairs, if i placed a small turret/manned turret/guards in the trench, they would be too small to see over the trench, only the large silo turrets are tall enough to be able to shoot over it, so changing the hook size wouldnt affect it i believe

Tattooine is great because it's very defensible, with the sunken "pits" and lack of windows to the rooms. The cliffside dwelling is very home-y, with a good chokepoint to get up there. The spacious hangar is nicely set up like an underground silo. The underground rooms scattered around the grounds are great for barracks and command centers for the troops. And the large tents/awnings around the grounds are good for storing ground vehicles, munitions, or staging your troops in parade formation! :cool:

• 1 month later...

I use Nar Shadaa as a FOB and Intel base for my Alliance.

The arrival point is full of speeders, some statues, and faction flags.

The first area is made to be a pseudo-reception area

The four side rooms are designed as a cantina, force user council chamber, market, and my personal chambers

The room before the stairs are barracks

The large interior room is a military intelligence and strategy room

The patio houses a couple of fighters and defense droids

The last two rooms behind the intel room are barracks and an operation center for my Mandalorians

All throughout my SH are a mix of Republic, Imperial, Jedi, and Sith forces. The Mandalorians of course are in their section.

• 2 weeks later...
Rishi is the best. Multiple area's including a Cruiser that already has Cannons built in. It also works great as a guild stronghold because it has PvP training area's and a Huttball area on the skydeck of the cruiser. It is costly for all it's expansions but well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
A point for Yavin IV. When I first saw the big hooks on top of the pyramids I immediately knew I wanted to get some of those giant cannons & place them their to deter orbital bombardment/hostile landings. And the whole thin is on a sheer sided plateau, so overland invasions are not an option.

A point for Yavin IV. When I first saw the big hooks on top of the pyramids I immediately knew I wanted to get some of those giant cannons & place them their to deter orbital bombardment/hostile landings. And the whole thin is on a sheer sided plateau, so overland invasions are not an option.

Not to mention that it's already got that watchtower in the back lot - though it's limited to just a few small hooks up there, so there's not much that can be done with it really...

• 1 month later...

I have two: Yavin, which I made into a joint Mandalorian/Imperial FOB (forward operating base), and Alderaan which I made into an Imperial (Sith) citadel. They are both heavily military themed, with all the trimmings (and some decos you probably haven't seen before). My Yavin SH has a full garrison (about a company in size/strength).

If you are looking for ideas and have a toon on Satele Shan, I have plenty of thematic examples to choose from (humility aside, I have some of the best decorated SHs on my server). You can check out both if I'm online. Yavin is under Ferrex, and Alderaan is under Mourne. If I'm not online, send me an in-game mail to Mourne and I'll send you keys for both so that you can visit them even when I'm not online.

Rishi is also a good option, though it's a monumental undertaking given the sheer size (and extremely expensive to decorate well). My former guild (Grim Determination) owns that SH which I decorated for them. The hover ship in particular leans toward a military theme, which makes it easy to decorate accordingly to keep it thematic.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mournblood