Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3.0 Mercenary/DPS guide by Fascinate & Marisi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
3.0 Mercenary/DPS guide by Fascinate & Marisi

Frenesi
12.22.2014 , 05:02 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by BreakingNews View Post
The reasoning for the opener is, if I delay the usage of hsm in place of priming shot, then the 2nd hsm will be delayed before proccing bb. If priming shot had the same cd as hsm or rail shot, then I would switch them around. Also, fusion missile is pretty much poop for single target dps, tso is better used for channeling with blazing bolts to vent heat over 2 gcds, and power surge I save for any "oopsies" in the rotation and I need the start of the next gcd to proc bb, then I use power surge + tm.
Well, i'm by no means pro player, but if i remeber right, going PS+SG>TM>HSM>Electronet>BB>power surge x2 + TM x2>RS>BB gets you right at the end of the HSM cooldown AND PS cooldown 1 GCD later. With BB on the move it also gives fully mobile opener. If delay of HSM is even there, it's barely 0.1 second
I just dropped in
To see in what condition my condition was in

Referal with some free crap.

DoomsDayVirus
12.22.2014 , 06:40 PM | #12
this rotation is completely different from what everyone else has been running for IO. Thanks Marisi/Fascinate!
- Snooks lvl 60 Operative
- J'wöww lvl 60 Juggernaut
- Draken lvl 60 Commando
Dishing out green love juice since launch

RookB
12.22.2014 , 09:11 PM | #13
A few things with the guide, primarily IO:
  • Using RS for rapid shots and rail shot which can be confusing.
  • The openers have Supercharge Gas, but it doesn't specify to use Kolto Shot 10x or spec into Supercharge Reserves.
  • Fusion Missile should be part of the rotation in place of a Power Shot used as a filler. FM does more damage with itself and its DOT for the same heat. Perhaps on a very long fight (over 8 minutes with no adds) you could use all PS and get one more Supercharge Gas and do more damage. It may be a personal preference, but ignoring it altogether is not fitting for an inclusive guide.
  • The parse you posted is not typical of the gear you stated. I'll restrain from further comment until you post your actual gear and a parse. You should reconsider putting a typical parse and not your “best” for an instructive guide.
  • The guide says to keep Speed to Burn on PS but, your general rotation has it on Serrated Shot.
  • Power Barrels is not listed as a Key Discipline Talent, probably for no mention of Fusion Missile. Flaming Wound is also missing, though it is fairly passive.
  • The guide says EN and the “other two DOTS”. Innovative Ordnance has six dots. SS, IM, EN, CGC, FM, SB. The last three tick once per second. Also, “...therefore should not be” what?
  • The guide is lacking in how to best apply AOE. We've got some new abilities with Collateral Damage, Boresights, and Supercharge Burn.

Kinslayer
12.22.2014 , 10:41 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by RookB View Post
A few things with the guide, primarily IO:
  • Using RS for rapid shots and rail shot which can be confusing.
  • The openers have Supercharge Gas, but it doesn't specify to use Kolto Shot 10x or spec into Supercharge Reserves.
  • Fusion Missile should be part of the rotation in place of a Power Shot used as a filler. FM does more damage with itself and its DOT for the same heat. Perhaps on a very long fight (over 8 minutes with no adds) you could use all PS and get one more Supercharge Gas and do more damage. It may be a personal preference, but ignoring it altogether is not fitting for an inclusive guide.
  • The parse you posted is not typical of the gear you stated. I'll restrain from further comment until you post your actual gear and a parse. You should reconsider putting a typical parse and not your “best” for an instructive guide.
  • The guide says to keep Speed to Burn on PS but, your general rotation has it on Serrated Shot.
  • Power Barrels is not listed as a Key Discipline Talent, probably for no mention of Fusion Missile. Flaming Wound is also missing, though it is fairly passive.
  • The guide says EN and the “other two DOTS”. Innovative Ordnance has six dots. SS, IM, EN, CGC, FM, SB. The last four tick once per second. Also, “...therefore should not be” what?
  • The guide is lacking in how to best apply AOE. We've got some new abilities with Collateral Damage, Boresights, and Supercharge Burn.
Couple of things;

IO doesn't use Rail Shot so therefore isn't an issue. Arsenal does, yes, and it will be changed shortly. Rapid Shot in IO will probably be changed also for consistency.
Only sub does 30% FM do more damage than PS but you then would be using MB as a priority filler anyway
The general rotation has STB on the PS in the UL block, not SS
That last paragraph is talking about when you should stop reapplying dots, which you cut out of your short quote. The missing part of the sentence should read 'therefore should not be applied below 25k'. Also CGC ticks once every 2s.
M a r i s i
Z o r z

PrivatePSYcho
12.23.2014 , 12:51 AM | #15
Hey Marisi/Fascinate,
Do you guys mind putting up a text log of a 1 million HP dummy IO parse?
Pretty please

spudik
12.23.2014 , 02:19 AM | #16
Any reasoning about the delayed Thermal Detonator? Is it only because of heat? Also it seems to be in favor of Power Shots, and a lot of them for 193s parse...
Irisen Shadow Irissen Guardian
Caleth Scoundrel Iri'sen Mando
Located at Tomb of Freedon Nadd as officer of CZ/SK guild
>>Havoc Squadron<<

cs_zoltan
12.23.2014 , 05:23 AM | #17
So I can't really wrap my head around this rotation you guys use. For future reference I type my and your general rotation down:

Yours:
Spoiler

Mine:
Spoiler

Now these are my problems with it:

1. It's less mobile. That's obvious, not a big deal, moving on...

2. In your rotation TD is only a filler and it's place is taken by a second mandatory PS. TD is so much stronger that I just can't understand why would you do this? Even with the SCG stack that PS builds it still doesn't compete with TD.

I did some math on the subject, but in absence of the coefficents I had to base it on tooltip damage relative to my gear :/
Spoiler

3. The rotation is too strict with heat and GCDs.

-First example, AoE:

If you'd want to use FM as a filler for adds, you'd have to drop TD for it because you either don't have the GCD for it or the heat or both (depending where you use FM).
In my rotation I have 2 place where I can use FM for adds and all I lose for it is a single PS which, based on my second point, is less of a dps loss than TD.

-Second example, Execute phase:

In your rotation you either replace TD with MB (which is a dps loss) or you use both in which case all your GCDs are tied up and that's heavily heat negative to the point where it's unsustainable without heat management cooldowns. Also you can no way in hell squeez in a FM, which is stonger in execute phase than PS.

EDIT: Forgot to account for the 10 vented heat in case of PS, so FM is only better than PS if you can't get 10 stack of SCG before the end of the fight

In contrast to that, with my rotation you can use both TD and MB and even sustain it for a longer period (not indefinitely though) and even have a leftover GCD to squeez in FM when you have cooldowns up.

So I wonder what your reasons are?

(PS: I used "my rotation" a lot, but in fact it was based on Gyro's PTS rotation, so most credit goes to him )

RookB
12.23.2014 , 06:12 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
Couple of things;

IO doesn't use Rail Shot so therefore isn't an issue. Arsenal does, yes, and it will be changed shortly. Rapid Shot in IO will probably be changed also for consistency.
That's why I said "primarily IO". Obviously this item only pertains to Arsenal.

Only sub does 30% FM do more damage than PS...
I still disagree based on parses I've seen and the math involved. Even with the old 15% crit set bonus FM still does more total damage per use. But the main point is that you didn't address FM at all in your guide. They made some significant changes to it for 3.0.

The general rotation has STB on the PS in the UL block, not SS
Your general rotation is:
UL - filler - PS - MS - IM - SS - PS - Filler - MS
The first MS procs STB. That is followed by SS which will eat it.
You should have re-ordered it to get STB in the right spot.

AMightyKnight
12.23.2014 , 06:17 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by BreakingNews View Post
Also, they did change fusion missile in 3.0, it costs 20 heat in arsenal and 15 heat in io, but its damage is completely a waste of a gcd on a single target. You can compare the tooltips between tracer and fusion missile in arsenal for example, fusion missile cost 5 more heat than tracer and does less damage.
It depends on crits actually. If the first Grenade Hit crits or if more than ~33% of the dots crit, Plasma Grenade does more damage than Grav Round with no crit. You will always do more damage if you get a crit on Grav.

In a burst phase with a limited time window would precast it to get the dot on target as well. Using it during your normal rotation might be a small damage gain or it might not.

Anyways, i think we can agree on Plasma Grenade being an excellent choice when you face adds.
Benaiah Abihail @TulakHord Ahdino Abishai
Gladio vivere, fusil perire!
KotFE 10/2015: RIP Endgame

cs_zoltan
12.23.2014 , 06:28 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by RookB View Post
I still disagree based on parses I've seen and the math involved. Even with the old 15% crit set bonus FM still does more total damage per use. But the main point is that you didn't address FM at all in your guide. They made some significant changes to it for 3.0.
FM has more raw damage, but PS builds SCG stack so FM only worth more than PS in execute phase.

Quote:
Your general rotation is:
UL - filler - PS - MS - IM - SS - PS - Filler - MS
The first MS procs STB. That is followed by SS which will eat it.
You should have re-ordered it to get STB in the right spot.
Put the Opener in front of it then you'll see that the 2nd MS will proc StB.