Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Commando Changes Brainstorming

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kenmc
10.28.2013 , 03:29 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MaybeCrimzon View Post
1/ Trauma Probe: can put on multiple targets (bring this skill inline with OPs).
IMO this would make commando healers too much like scoundrel healers. It's always good to look to abilities that work well, and that you like from other classes. However, copying them exactly takes away from their uniqueness. I personally wouldnt want commando to be a mishmash of abilities that people like from sages and scoundrels, cause then we would be even less likely to be invited to heal, because we could never do it as well as the class that they came from.

Master-Nala
10.28.2013 , 04:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by kenmc View Post
IMO this would make commando healers too much like scoundrel healers. It's always good to look to abilities that work well, and that you like from other classes. However, copying them exactly takes away from their uniqueness. I personally wouldnt want commando to be a mishmash of abilities that people like from sages and scoundrels, cause then we would be even less likely to be invited to heal, because we could never do it as well as the class that they came from.
I disagree. The Scoundrel slow release medpack is a heal over time (HoT). Trauma Probe is a reactive heal. IMO the way to make the healers really different (which I agree is a good thing) is to take their unique healing mechanism and spread it around a bit.

Right now for instance, Scoundrels have two instant heal over time abilities. HoTs can and should be instant because you can waste a lot of their healing. Reactive heals like Trauma Probe can have a cast time because they can be applied in advance of the healing actually being needed. The same with 'warding' type heals like the sages force bubble.

If I had my way, I would change Medical Probe to provide a 3-charge reactive heal, and Kolto Bomb to provide a 2-charge reactive to up to four players. Have them last up to 1 minute. Leave Trauma Probe alone.

For Sages, I would change up Deliverance and Salvation to be like Force Armor without the lockout time, but leave the long cast times. Then you have three very different playstyles for the healers.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

AngelFluttershy
10.28.2013 , 04:26 PM | #23
I mostly PvE, so I'll stick to what I know.

Gunnery:

Curtain of Fire - Can you make the proc for Curtain of Fire appear earlier in a Grav Round cast? Like maybe have it trigger at 1.0 into the cast instead of having it at the end of the cast? This is purely a quality of life change as this will alleviate the issue of not activating Full Auto ASAP. I find the current trigger is so slow that I'm already part-way into a Grav Round by the time the proc appears. I'm not a fan of using ability queuing, so I'd rather not change my whole playstyle to fit one spec of one class.

Assault:

I'm happy with this spec in PvP and PvE, so I don't have much to add here.

Combat Medic:

Trauma Probe - I enjoyed the 2.0 additions to this ability, but a Dev suggested a change during the class answers that I'll repeat here. Could we see this turn into a multi-target ability? Even being able to drop this onto two players would be nice. Kolto Bomb and Concussion Charge are nice AOE heals, but still underwhelming compared to the other two healers. Turning Trauma Probe into a multi-target ability would bring a lot of utility to the table and improve multi-target healing.

Frontline Medic - I understand the purpose of this ability, but it's just a stepping stone to Probe Medic. Could we possibly see this improved for PvE use, or have the talent switch places with another in the tree? In most cases, this is a wasted two points for me.

Other:
Can we get the UI updated so we can see how much ammo we have out of 100 and a percentage? Pretty please?

brutall
10.28.2013 , 04:29 PM | #24
Combat medic Healing
1: let Trauma probe be multi-target ability!
2: Bacta infusion needs a hot that heals 2000+ over 12 sec it sucks atm
3: let kolto pods heal over 4 sec instead of 3
4: make Advance medical probe immune to interrupts with talent for pvp?

Gunnery dps
1: inscrease the chance for proc on Curtain of fire. but increase the coldown or lower the dmg? burst dps atm is so unstable
2: give us a ability like execute or increased dps on demolition round under 30%

Assult spesialist
1: make assult plastique and incendiary round uncleansable. you cant kill a Scoundre/op if he knows how to cleanse..
2: give hail of bolts 100% chance to put plasma cell on target 6 sec cd

Morgani
10.28.2013 , 04:48 PM | #25
DPS Commandos could benefit from an execute type of ability. And please think about ammo regen. Slow and steady saves ammo but hurts our DPS and face melty burst gives us a few seconds of wowzers then leaves us impotent for 20 seconds.

Healing Commandos really need to have Trauma Probe looked at again. An ammo cost was added ages ago but it still can only be cast on a single target. But it still can't stack up anywhere near to Sage bubble or Scoundrel hots.

I haven't played my Commando for so long, I'd like to go back to her some day.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

NoFishing
10.28.2013 , 04:53 PM | #26
Medic:
Hammer shot on ourselves please, and let us keep trauma probe up on both tanks in operations.

Gunnery:
We have very twitchy energy management here, where bad luck on CoF procs can drain us of energy and DPS. I would be very happy to see CoF proc reliably every N seconds, with N being fairly small, even if it means less of a damage buff to full auto. Also make cell charger return a small amount of ammo more frequently (every 1 to 1.5s) rather than every 6s.

Assault:
I almost never play this, so I don't really know. Its apparent lack of defensive buffs and raid utility make it somewhat unappealing.

CommanderKeeva
10.28.2013 , 04:59 PM | #27
Here are the changes I have in mind. You don't have to implement all of them but I would like to see some of them make it into the game:

Combat Medic:

Energy Management ideas:

Do not redesign the Ammo system. Just tweak the costs and cooldowns of the skills.

- Hammer Shot critical heals restore energy (similar to Scoundrels/Operatives' Diagnostic Scan) or
- Supercharged Cells increases Ammo regeneration by 50%
- Supercharged Cells reduces the Ammo cost of Advanced Medical Probe and Kolto Bomb (instead of Charged Bolts which nobody uses)
- Trauma Probe periodic heals restore Ammo

Healing:

- Frontline Medic makes Trauma Probe usable on 2 targets (at least the 2 tanks in the Ops group)
- Bacta Infusion heals for more

Quality of Life:

- % value changed to actual numbers
- Hammer Shot heals are usable on yourself
- Supercharged Cells provides immunity to interrupts for its duration
- Supercharged Cells provides 20% alacrity for its duration

Gunnery:

Energy Management:

- Hammer Shot critical hits restore Ammo
- Cell Charger restores 2 Ammo every 1.5 seconds instead of 8 every 6 (like how it works for Vanguards)
- Curtain of Fire makes the next Full Auto free
- High Impact Bolt cost is lowered by 2 (free for Gunnery)
- The Ammo cost of Plasma Grenade is reduced by 33%

Damage:

- 100% critical chance on Demolition Round on targets below 30%
- Increase the trigger chance on Curtain of Fire without increasing its lockout OR make Curtain of Fire a fix proc after a certain skill (for example firing High Impact Bolt on 5 stacks of Charged Barrels), make Curtain of Fire procs reliable and predictable, as it stands, its randomness can severely hurt both our damage and our energy management

Quality of Life:

- Hold the Line provides immunity to interrupts for its duration
- Reduce the cooldown on Tech Override and Reserve Powercell to 1 minute
- Remove the root effect from Stockstrike, Concussive Charge roots all affected targets for 4 seconds, damage after 2 seconds breaks the effect
- Adrenaline Rush's does not go on cooldown if your health does not go below 35% and the Fired Up effect does not trigger
- Adrenaline Rush provides 20% extra alacrity for the first 10 seconds after its activation
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

SpaniardInfinity
10.28.2013 , 05:23 PM | #28
For PVP healing (and I think these would also benefit PVE):

• Tech Override's cooldown should be lowered to 60 seconds, perhaps additionally having two-stacks baseline (although I don't think the 2-stack is necessary for Combat Medics). This will really help with some much needed utility for all Commandos and give them a lot more in the way of options during a fight. Considering that most of the abilities it can effect are limited by their cooldowns and/or ammo cost, it pretty much balances itself.

• Field Medicine OR Steady Hands (pick one). I know the devs said they may explore allowing Hammershot to target oneself, but if they opt instead to keep it as it presently is, they could add a mechanic to either of the aforementioned skills to allow Hammershot healing on an ally to have a 100% chance to heal yourself for 25%/50% of your tech bonus healing stat. Both skill points are low enough in the tree to benefit Combat Medics who are leveling and since you may only heal an ally while in Combat Support Cell, it is implicitly tied to the stance. It can also be a compromise to the suggestion the devs had in the Mercenary thread where they were considering allowing you to heal yourself directly with Hammershot (100% of your tech bonus healing presumably) but it would not build 3 charges; my suggestion would cut the self-healing (to 50% of the tech bonus healing) in exchange for the 3 charges of Supercharge. This would have less of a negative impact on your rotation, since Hammershot is used to pace yourself and build charge.

• Fix the bug with Efficient Conversions. If it's not a bug, this is a helpful QoL change that resolves a problem that affects Reserve Powercell. Basically, if Reserve Powercell is active when you use Concussive Charge, Concussive Force, or Cyro Grenade (all of which are made free of cost by training into Efficient Conversions), the Reserve Powercell proc is consumed despite the fact that all of the abilities are FREE. This wastes a 2-minute cooldown.

• Kolto Residue: Include Kolto Wave (Concussive Charge) as an ability that applies Kolto Residue to affected allies. This would help add incentive to taking Kolto Wave while giving extra utility to the class.

• Kolto Pods. In addition to its present effects, the 50% slow from Kolto Residue is refreshed on affected enemies with each tick of Kolto Pods. Presently, Kolto Pods applies/refreshes Kolto Residue's healing buff and Charged Screen (when Supercharged) with each tick of Kolto Residue to all affected allies without a player limit. This change would help bring the slow up to speed with the other effects, but the 5-player limit should be enforced for the slow (or lowered to a 4-player limit to compensate).

• Preventive Medicine: Increased duration to 12 seconds (up from 9 seconds). This change is mostly for PVE, where there is a 1-GCD window to cast Advanced Medical Probe on the target due to its cooldown (the HOT lasts 9 seconds, the cooldown of AMP is 7.5 seconds). Increasing its duration by 3 seconds (1 additional tick) would make this window more reasonable and less restrictive.

• Kolto Wave: Damage no longer wakes sleeping targets, but still generates resolve (if applicable). A small QoL change to make Kolto Wave more feasible in PVE and PVP situations where you cannot afford to be breaking CCs.

• Switch the positions of Probe Medic and Frontline Medic in the skill tree. Keep them as three and two point skills, respectively. Probe Medic would require Trauma Probe, but Frontline Medic would have no prerequisites. This is mostly because Frontline Medic is currently a waste of a talent in PVE (it has zero benefit for them) and is only occasionally useful in PVP in small skirmishes/duels. Making Frontline Medic more valuable may warrant its position in the tree.

• Change Frontline Medic's effect to the following: Increases the number of Trauma Probes which may be active at one time by 1/2 and lowers Bacta Infusion's cooldown by 1.5/3.0 seconds. This would allow up to 3 Trauma Probes to be active and trims Bacta Infusion's cooldown somewhat. Another option here could be to add some sort of synergy between Bacta Infusion and the rest of the skill tree (probably to Trauma Probe) because there is absolutely no synergy high in the Combat Medic tree.

• Supercharged Cells: There are a few changes to make here under "Supercharged effects":

1. Move the Supercharged effects of Full Auto and Charged Bolts to the same line in the tooltip (their effects do not change).
    2. Include Kolto Wave on the line for Kolto Bomb, allowing both abilities to apply a 5% damage reduction shield to affected allies while Supercharged.
    3. Add a new effect: Trauma Probe's ammo cost is reduced by 50%.

Most of these are quality of life changes, and #3 has been included because Trauma Probe can now be applied to multiple allies (see changes to Frontline Medic). This change could also compensate for Trauma Probe if its ammo cost is increased because of its expanded number of targets (which may be necessary).

• Med Zone OR Treated Wound Dressings (pick one). In addition to its present effects, you generate 1 stack of charge per second for every second that you are stunned, knocked down, or otherwise incapacitated (basically if an effect generates resolve, it would generate charge). Roots, slows, and non-CC (true) interrupts would NOT generate charge. The generation of charge ceases as soon as the controlling effect expires.

My rational for this recommendation is that in PVP the main weakness to a Combat Medic is that a single interrupt can shut them down if they have less than 30 charges and all of their heals are on cooldown (and this WILL and DOES happen in PVP). Supercharges free up Advanced Medical Probe for use on demand, which makes it more difficult to shut down the spec (since there are 2 abilities without cooldowns instead of the one). Combat Medics have two ways of building Supercharge, both of which can be problematic under pressure: Hammershot is always an option but if you need to build an entire Supercharge purely with Hammershot, chances are someone is going to die; and Medical Probe is costly and highly vulnerable to interruptions. Making stuns/knockdowns/etc generate charge would allow more regular Supercharges and makes it harder to shut us down, but does so in a way that is at the mercy of the opposition (we can't stun ourselves). It adds a good dosage of strategy to fighting a Combat Medic since Supercharges are more rewarding and incentivizes the killing of a Combat Medic BEFORE Supercharging and controlling them DURING Supercharge. (Although this change is mainly aimed for PVP, the extra Supercharge generation during boss battles with controlling effects will also benefit PVE Combat Medics).
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

TeganKing
10.28.2013 , 05:33 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
Here are the changes I have in mind. You don't have to implement all of them but I would like to see some of them make it into the game:

Combat Medic:

Energy Management ideas:

Do not redesign the Ammo system. Just tweak the costs and cooldowns of the skills.

- Hammer Shot critical heals restore energy (similar to Scoundrels/Operatives' Diagnostic Scan) or
- Supercharged Cells increases Ammo regeneration by 50%
- Supercharged Cells reduces the Ammo cost of Advanced Medical Probe and Kolto Bomb (instead of Charged Bolts which nobody uses)
- Trauma Probe periodic heals restore Ammo

Healing:

- Frontline Medic makes Trauma Probe usable on 2 targets (at least the 2 tanks in the Ops group)
- Bacta Infusion heals for more

Quality of Life:

- Hammer Shot heals are usable on yourself
- Supercharged Cells provides immunity to interrupts for its duration
- Supercharged Cells provides 20% alacrity for its duration

Gunnery:

Energy Management:

- Hammer Shot critical hits restore Ammo
- Cell Charger restores 2 Ammo every 1.5 seconds instead of 8 every 6 (like how it works for Vanguards)
- Curtain of Fire makes the next Full Auto free
- High Impact Bolt cost is lowered by 2 (free for Gunnery)
- The Ammo cost of Plasma Grenade is reduced by 33%

Damage:

- 100% critical chance on Demolition Round on targets below 30%
- Increase the trigger chance on Curtain of Fire without increasing its lockout OR make Curtain of Fire a fix proc after a certain skill (for example firing High Impact Bolt on 5 stacks of Charged Barrels), make Curtain of Fire procs reliable and predictable, as it stands, its randomness can severely hurt both our damage and our energy management

Quality of Life:

- Hold the Line provides immunity to interrupts for its duration
- Reduce the cooldown on Tech Override and Reserve Powercell to 1 minute
- Remove the root effect from Stockstrike, Concussive Charge roots all affected targets for 4 seconds, damage after 2 seconds breaks the effect
- Adrenaline Rush's does not go on cooldown if your health does not go below 35% and the Fired Up effect does not trigger
- Adrenaline Rush provides 20% extra alacrity for the first 10 seconds after its activation
If they added all of that I think commandos would be overpowered LOL, but great ideas, hopefully they use a few of them!!

definetly trauma probe on multiple targets is a must for commando healer, and some sort of guaranteed 100% crit ability for charged bolts would be nice, then maybe people would use our 'assault cannon class ability'......
| | KingStar Legacy

ArchangelLBC
10.28.2013 , 07:30 PM | #30
Ok mainly I'll focus on gunnery:

-As already mentioned Special munitions should either make HiB free when fully invested, or should make grav round extremely cheap (10-13 per cast). In order to smooth out ammo management.

-Curtain of Fire makes the next Full Auto free. I really like this idea mentioned already in this thread. We currently have zero energy positive skills in our repertoire with the exception of hammer shots which is one thing which is making energy management so very brutal at the moment. Additionally this proc is just way too streaky. I made a thread earlier which questioned why the reset on CoF seems so streaky when IA in the Assault tree seems so much smoother and I think the answer is that IA has a second way to reset. To that end I think Demo Round should have a 70-75% chance to proc curtain of fire as well. I think this will smooth out the procs quite a bit and just overall be a huge QoL buff for everyone.

-Lower the cost of plasma grenade to 16-24 ammo. This ability currently does decent damage on a 30 second cooldown with an absolutely absurd ammo cost (currently 33). If it hit 5+ targets I would understand the cost but it hits 3, which have to be in proximity to your current target (so you can't place it like with Hail of Bolts or MV). Since the cooldown already limits it just fine, there's no need for the high ammo cost and this effectively raises its cooldown to around 45 seconds in assault or a minute in Gunnery (which has the aforesaid ammo management issues).

-The suggested change in this thread to Cell Charger so that it works like the vanguard version giving back 2 ammo every 1.5 seconds would be quite nice.

-Please for the love of God fix our ammo display like you said you would. This should happen as early as next week. There's no excuse to delay this to a major patch.

All I can think of for now.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd