Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help, two monitors with swtor...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Help, two monitors with swtor...

Fargond
05.11.2014 , 06:31 AM | #1
I recently got a 2nd monitor and today had the idea, i think id like to use two monitors with my setup. So i hooked up the monitor and did the settings in the nviiada to set my main monitor. its set to extended btw.

I booted up swtor and its great im my main monitor i have the game and in the 2nd monitor i have teamspeak and IE.
However, i draged my mouse over to the other screen to attempt to change websites (on my 2nd monitor) and the SWTOR AltTabbed Automaticaly on my main screen.

This completely messed up my thoughts about using two monitors... whats the point if the game minimizes, i may as well just use one monitor.

I thought it worked like this: (this is what i wanted)
My main monitor plays the game the 2nd monitor shows some of my desktop(extended). when i would drag my mouse off the game screen i could use the desktop icons turn on my media player etc etc while still 'in game' looking at whats going on around my character... wishfull thinking eh.

Does any know if its possible to have it the way i 'imagined' it could do ?
Thanks in advance..
Jet Corcoran
Smuggler Gunslinger
Gus is Awsome!

Fargond
05.11.2014 , 06:47 AM | #2
hmm.. i changed my ingame setting from fullscreen exclusive to fullscreen windowed.

this seems to be a solution... altho i can see my mouse accidently clicking offscreen ingame, but i think its managable.

I hope this will help anyone wondering if it can be done.

I'd be interested to hear how other people use multi displays with swtor..
Jet Corcoran
Smuggler Gunslinger
Gus is Awsome!

Edzew
05.11.2014 , 08:32 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Fargond View Post
hmm.. i changed my ingame setting from fullscreen exclusive to fullscreen windowed.

this seems to be a solution... altho i can see my mouse accidently clicking offscreen ingame, but i think its managable.

I hope this will help anyone wondering if it can be done.

I'd be interested to hear how other people use multi displays with swtor..
see i was the other way around.. i kept going off game screen and clicking out of the game... very annoying by the way. so now i have it set up the way you had it before. either way its a very stupid system. i think it all goes back to the devs being very lazy in this game B^(
Click Here for a free inventory slot!!!

Tatile
05.11.2014 , 08:39 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Edzew View Post
see i was the other way around.. i kept going off game screen and clicking out of the game... very annoying by the way. so now i have it set up the way you had it before. either way its a very stupid system. i think it all goes back to the devs being very lazy in this game B^(
If you're going consistently off of one side, can't you just re-set where the computer recognises the monitor to be, so that you can't?

I mean, if you click off the left side of the SWTOR monitor, on to the other screen, tell your computer it's set up on the right side, keep SWTOR as the main screen, so that you can't go off the left?

I've been playing with dual monitors consistently for about a year and half now, it's not a fault of the SWTOR developers that I can click out of the game.

Edzew
05.11.2014 , 08:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
If you're going consistently off of one side, can't you just re-set where the computer recognises the monitor to be, so that you can't?

I mean, if you click off the left side of the SWTOR monitor, on to the other screen, tell your computer it's set up on the right side, keep SWTOR as the main screen, so that you can't go off the left?

I've been playing with dual monitors consistently for about a year and half now, it's not a fault of the SWTOR developers that I can click out of the game.
im not sure i understand what you are saying B^(

all other MMOs i have ever played i could be in game and if needed go over to the other screen and look something up and still have my game over on the other screen. (to keep an eye on my toon to make sure they didn't die) and to be honest i cant quite remember how it worked the other way in this game but i do remember how annoying it was, so much so i don't want to reset the game that way just to check and remember. i find it less annoying to just click over and have tor minimize down and then have to click on it and open it back up and wait for the load screen to pop up
Click Here for a free inventory slot!!!

Tatile
05.11.2014 , 09:03 AM | #6
im not sure i understand what you are saying B^(

all other MMOs i have ever played i could be in game and if needed go over to the other screen and look something up and still have my game over on the other screen. (to keep an eye on my toon to make sure they didn't die) and to be honest i cant quite remember how it worked the other way in this game but i do remember how annoying it was, so much so i don't want to reset the game that way just to check and remember. i find it less annoying to just click over and have tor minimize down and then have to click on it and open it back up and wait for the load screen to pop up
I play in Fullscreen(Windowed) mode and don't have a problem with SWTOR minimizing itself.

It'll occasionally refresh if I start another programme when it's open, and the I'll just get the "wonderful" Galactic Starfighter loading screen.

I thought you said you were playing in Fullscreen mode because you didn't like clicking the other screen.

MaximusRex
05.11.2014 , 05:44 PM | #7
all other MMOs i have ever played i could be in game and if needed go over to the other screen and look something up and still have my game over on the other screen.
You can do that in SWTOR by setting going into Preferences > Graphics, and under Full Screen Exclusive Mode setting the drop down to Fullscreen (Windowed).

AshlaBoga
05.12.2014 , 01:31 AM | #8
Don't use 2 monitors - use 3!

Seriously, gaming in 3x1080p is more immerssive than gaming in 1x1440p.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!