Open pvp

Joaina

*I am from the german forums, so please excuse my sloppy english. :cool:

Hi folks.

Back in the days i always enjoyed beeing flagged for PVP in the Open World. But the DEVS in all thier wisdom disabled the PVP flagging for some reason.

(I guess the PVP Gear was the main reason, because pvp players always had advantage compared to pve players)

But the PVP Gear has been removed and thats makes us all equal again. They have introduced Iokath but if you move there, its like having a walk alone in the Mojave Desert. I spent alot of time on Yavin 4 but now Yavin 4 is dead like all others Planets when you are in the PVP instances.

Please Bioware - bring back the Open World PVP flagging . There is still potential, but it might need a bit of rework.

The game engine doesnt like masses of players, but this isnt what i meant. I am basicly talking about quick duels when meeting another flagged player.

Some suggestions:

Only a flagged player can attack another flagged player. Back in days even unflagged players accidently could attack flagged players. And if they did and beeing in group the entire group has been flagged. Most players who accidently attacked a flagged player didnt know that they have to rest 5mins in non combat areas to unflag themselves.

(I guess that was the second reason they removed the pvp flagging)

Just make sure that unflagged playes cant attack until they have flagged themselves. Remove Group flagging when a groupmember attacks another flagged player. And bring a small popup window after players dead that asks to stay flagged or unflag now.

I am sure many players would be happy again. I would be happy for sure.

thanks for reading. have a nice day.

There are technically PvP instances now, though they are relatively deserted outside of people trying to get world bosses or do heroics with long respawn time, etc.

For me the issue with open world PvP is primarily that I can go do far more rewarding things with my time than go to say yavin or ilum and farm people trying to do story/farm mats/whatever.

Edited by KendraP

There are technically PvP instances now, though they are relatively deserted outside of people trying to get world bosses or do heroics with long respawn time, etc.

For me the issue with open world PvP is primarily that I can go do far more rewarding things with my time than go to say yavin or ilum and farm people trying to do story/farm mats/whatever.

"I only go there to PvE"

"PvE is more rewarding than PvP"

If you don't like PvP why are you here?

"I only go there to PvE"

"PvE is more rewarding than PvP"

If you don't like PvP why are you here?

Um I do war zones almost daily man. I just have better things to do than go rofl stomp lowbies?

Just last night I spent about 3 hours doing war zones. I'd say that's PvP buddy.

Edited by KendraP

Um I do war zones almost daily man. I just have better things to do than go rofl stomp lowbies?

Just last night I spent about 3 hours doing war zones. I'd say that's PvP buddy.

Ahh so OW PvP is all about stomping lowbies?

You realize that is the line PvEers have used for 20 years?

Um I'm saying that's not what it should be about but that in practice that's what often happens.

Even if it's not lowbies, it's a group of 4-8 ganging up on 1-2 dudes doing somethijng completely unrelated.

And, since there really aren't rewards for open world PvP. Why bother, when you could be doing actual PvP where there are rewards?

I do both pve and PvP, and if anything spend a lot more time in pvp.

Um I'm saying that's not what it should be about but that in practice that's what often happens.

Even if it's not lowbies, it's a group of 4-8 ganging up on 1-2 dudes doing somethijng completely unrelated.

And, since there really aren't rewards for open world PvP. Why bother, when you could be doing actual PvP where there are rewards?

I do both pve and PvP, and if anything spend a lot more time in pvp.

lolol

Long term PvEer complaint about OW #2 "It isn't fair because of the numbers."

lolol

Long term PvEer complaint about OW #2 "It isn't fair because of the numbers."

I'm not complaining friend, just explaining why I don't participate.

And since none of this is relevant to what OP is asking/requesting can we stop saying things just to insult each other?

Edited by KendraP

I'm not complaining friend, just explaining why I don't participate.

And since none of this is relevant to what OP is asking/requesting can we stop saying things just to insult each other?

Every OW PvP thread has to address two items at some point:

1. It is just "greifers" farming lowbies

2. It is just groups "ganking"

You have wept over both, clearing this thread for real discussion without using up 10 pages.

Edited by Foambreaker

Every OW PvP thread has to address two items at some point:

1. It is just "greifers" farming lowbies

2. It is just groups "ganking"

You have wept over both, clearing this thread for real discussion without using up 10 pages.

I only mentioned those because they do happen, and pretty much any time I've open world PvP it's been one of these circumstances.

I also mentioned there really isn't any reward for participating in open world PvP, which results in few people who chose to do so facing issues of no one who joins open world PvP, which is really what the OP is facing.

You mean besides the pure fun of PvPing? :rolleyes:

If you like it so much why do you need to be paid to do it?

Because I'd rather do something having a clearly defined outcome and objective than run around an otherwise deserted instance going "Oh look it's a level 50 doing heroics on tattoine kill him!"?

Aka, it's a preference friend.

And we are back to the "PvP griefer ganking lowbies"...

It goes with the deserter instance man. If the only people there are farming mats/heroics/dailies/whatever, they're probably not the world's greatest pvpers. I personally prefer looking places where I might in fact get a challenge.

Every mmo that has a class/classes with perma-stealth will invariably have any owpvp potential become extinct.

Rift. Wildstar. SWTOR. The list continues....

I remember when Jung Ma (old pvp/RP server) had a robust population and Yavin IV became available. For about 2 to 3 months there was plenty of available owpvp prospects, and then it swiftly dried up.

Why?

Because invariably every period of owpvp eventually degenerates into stealthed players exploiting respawns, popular quest areas/gathering nodes, etc.

Stealth is the ultimate pvp utility in every game its available. Having the ability to choose when, where and how to engage an enemy- or avoid confrontation altogether- is such an advantage that any engagement against an unsuspecting opponent allows absolutely no excuse for failure.

And the majority of playerbases tire of this eventuality and avoid the activity or transfer to servers that don't encourage it.

TL/DR: Any game that allows perma-stealth as an available ability in pvp will never, ever achieve any semblance of "balance"- and this is most accurately reflected in the absence of owpvp activity in the games that do so.

Every mmo that has a class/classes with perma-stealth will invariably have any owpvp potential become extinct.

I remember when Jung Ma (old pvp/RP server) had a robust population and Yavin IV became available. For about 2 to 3 months there was plenty of available owpvp prospects, and then it swiftly dried up.

Why?

Because invariably every period of owpvp eventually degenerates into stealthed players exploiting respawns, popular quest areas/gathering nodes, etc.

Stealth is the ultimate pvp utility in every game its available. Having the ability to choose when, where and how to engage an enemy- or avoid confrontation altogether- is such an advantage that any engagement against an unsuspecting opponent allows absolutely no excuse for failure.

And the majority of playerbases tire of this eventuality and avoid the activity or transfer to servers that don't encourage it.

TL/DR: Any game that allows perma-stealth as an available ability in pvp will never, ever achieve any semblance of "balance"- and this is most accurately reflected in the absence of owpvp activity in the games that do so.

Remember some people find that as the... how did Foambreaker put it...

You mean besides the pure fun of PvPing?

:eyerolls:

Why?

Show me on the doll where the bad stealther...:rolleyes:

You can't have OW and protected PvE on the same server. OW only works in sandboxes.

I only mentioned those because they do happen, and pretty much any time I've open world PvP it's been one of these circumstances.

I also mentioned there really isn't any reward for participating in open world PvP, which results in few people who chose to do so facing issues of no one who joins open world PvP, which is really what the OP is facing.

1. It is impossible to be ganked in open world PvP because your presence in the area constitutes consent to PvP (1vX) without further notice. The word itself in the context is a misnomer.

2. The rewards are the same as the PvE area plus the fun of PvPing; I guess winners and losers look at it differently :rolleyes:

1. It is impossible to be ganked in open world PvP because your presence in the area constitutes consent to PvP (1vX) without further notice. The word itself in the context is a misnomer.

2. The rewards are the same as the PvE area plus the fun of PvPing; I guess winners and losers look at it differently :rolleyes:

Um I normally win on the odd occasion I stumble into someone. I actually pulled a stunt similar to the one I described. Trying to get a trapjaw group together. Only place he's up is the PvP instance. Group of like 4 imps comes along and heads for the skull. My buddy and I two man the imps, summon our buddies and killed trapjaw. Maybe I'm weird but I much prefer a fair fight to killing 4 obviously not pvpers.

Edited by KendraP

Open world pvp is my funnest thing to do with any a mmo. I love constantly having to watch over my shoulder while questing. It gives it a extra level of excitement to me. Sure I had to deal with max lvl toons ganking every now and then. But what ends up happening in that case I call in Guild mates and an open world PVP War breaks out occasionally. And that just helps build Guild camaraderie. I also love trolling planets trying to gank the gankers. It's almost a game inside the game for me and it sucks it's all but gone now.

They don’t need a pvp instance, flagging was a much better system. But they did need to fix-it / tweak it so that people couldn’t get trolled or accidentally forced to flag when they didn’t want to.

I used to keep myself constantly flagged. It made farming mats on Yavin interesting while waiting for WZ pops. I would often have some great random fights. Especially when you’d get 3 pve people (top gear) jump you and your companion in pvp gear. It seemed none of them twigged that people didn’t run around flagged with only 208 pve gear on :rolleyes: All they ever saw was a single player with low lvl gear and thought I would be an easy kill.

Surprisingly or maybe not, these were exactly the same people who would cry foul if you went to their respawn to continue the fight. It was ok for them to jump you 3v1 when they thought you were an easy kill. But it wasn’t ok when you killed them :D

But even if they were to go back to flagging, you have the problem of these OP companions healing. If you don’t believe me, go do some duels with both companions on heals. It becomes boring and is like a parsing session if you are both the same skill lvl.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Healing companions are fairly easy to deal with. Just mez them and then burst down the player.

Also if you have Heroic Moment with all the class abilities, pop that and use it to melt the player. If the player's comp is prematurely freed from mez you can also use that to practically global their comp.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I personally loved the game when owpvp was a thing

I loved the added excitement of potentially getting ganked at any moment.

The people who moan about this are the pve players that lose in a duel or get ganked they are walking around killing mindless npcs and the thought of an actual player who don't stand still and let them kill them then kills them must shatter their soul lol. I blame the pve players for moaning.

Take away pvp/PvP instances please.

And over the same 20 years , no PVPer have stopped doing it.

Long before the server merges here, the pvp servers ( which I did play on for the OWPVP ) died, it turned out it had been too much farming those not interested in PVP, by the less than mature "rest" of the population, so the server(s) died, and the farming of the not interested players moved to the pve servers, almost causing a mass migration away from SWTOR, by removing it, and changing the flag button, that the less than mature "rest" exploited to be "allowed" BW/EA managed to get people back into the game.

What surprises is that a very large group of players do not realize that the game was never designed for large scale pvp, for the sole reason of the game having a pve focused design.

Crying for mass battles in swor is about as smart as demanding flight simulator in civilization series, the game was never meant for it..ever.

This said, the game engine could probably handle 16x16 or even 24x24 but it not meant for this, it is meant for 4x4 at best.

One of the issues with the old pvp flag button, was how it was exploited by PVPers on the PVE servers with the result of chasing away players.

At the time, the QT cooldown could be up to 20 minutes, the game AOE mechanics was flawed and could cause you to autoflag.

If autoflagged you could not turn it off, you had a 5 minutes cooldown, in a safe ZONE....combined with a 20minutes QT cooldown this could hinder players for several hours in the game.

It was an outcry to reverse the flag button mechanics, allowing a 100% no cooldown on OFF, but a 5 min cooldown to re-flag so to keep it from being exploited in PVE settings.

The game "dies!!!!!!!" the less than mature group of problem PVPers began..............it didn't.

And still even approaching the 8th year of running the game is still a pve game....so NO there can not and should not be open PVP in a pve game...........

PS! I'll let some of you in on a secret......

Just because a game has a small pvp side feature does not make the game pve.

After all you can open doors in Counter Strike, this is a PVE feature.but it does not make the game PVE.....though in the minds of some very vocal PVPers it seems a mere PVP feature is enough to make the rest also PVP