Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

SylasSeraph
01.05.2012 , 05:27 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Riftmaster View Post
I'm perhaps using an odd setup...

I'm lvl 35, still using Mako as my companion, and I actually DPS mostly, while throwing a few heals on myself and getting healed by her.

Works fairly well atm...
i have been dong this too and it works quite well

djinnerman
01.05.2012 , 06:51 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrips View Post
I recently just went past level 30, and I'm pretty much a pure healing spec. With Gault as a replacement for Mako, I've found that I need to keep him geared up high so he has enough health and armor to survive a fight with a 'gold' mob.

How often are the rest of you healers using the chaff skill? I tend to hit that right after triggering a fight to lower threat on me and divert them to my companion. Does anyone havve a preferred time to set off chaff to boost its threat mitigation the best?
I was about to post a topic about that skill but it was already in the Bounty Hunter forums. I feel like it works sometimes as well as it doesn't at all. It drives me up the wall sometimes especially when I draw a lot of aggro from deploying Kolto Shell on my tank in the middle of a fight. Hopefully the skill will be relooked into.

Also, I couldn't redo my keybinds. I tried it once and it felt completely out of place for me. I know that it takes time getting used to, but I'm used to multi-tasking to the max. Example: utilizing the map, guild chat, etc while I'm running forward. I know there's an auto-run function, but that doesn't help with the fact that I might need to stop on a dime if I'm about to run into trouble or a cliff.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

JBarlak
01.05.2012 , 06:57 PM | #83
Kudos to the guide and has finally brought direction of my baby BH. I have been healing on my consular and it was great to see how it's done on the other side.

TempestasSilva
01.06.2012 , 04:20 PM | #84
On Bodyguard leveling:
So I am 32 now. Still love our 2nd combat companion and have only had problems with one fight.

Spoiler

However, because I benched him, I upgraded all Mako's gear and plan on trying to see if she's viable, especially now that I have her decked our in a dancer costume (I know, I am a pig), but thanks to Armoring, mods, etc., she is still in good shape stat-wise and way better to look at!

On Topic:
I hate things that people spout as fact that have not been tested. How many time have people told us that Alacrity does NOT affect the global cool down? Well they are only 1/2 right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIQRN4Kt89w

It does not affect the GCD for our instant cast abilities. However it does shorten the GCD on our ones that have a cast time.

So again, for those who complain about alacrity being useless, I remain unconvinced that it is bad and this video makes me more confident that it has a use. Whether there is a cap, or whether its effectiveness is stair-stepped as it increases, I look forward to seeing the theorycrafting, but to simply dismiss it "because it just makes us overheat faster" is a bad move.

djinnerman
01.07.2012 , 02:57 PM | #85
I think it's the same debate in many other mmos about casting speed vs the amount, crit, etc. Even in WoW, we needed to hit a certain haste criteria to become a more efficient healer, but that would also include running the mana reservoir dry even quicker. I think the fact of the matter is that completing your tasks quicker while giving you more time off the casting window will give you that breathing room, much as the heat dropping to 0. Pretty much as you mentioned in your notes aforetime.

That video you posted is actually very interesting. Although, I thought the GCD was one second and not 1.5. Maybe I'm missing something here?
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

Homicidal_Maniac
01.07.2012 , 06:46 PM | #86
This is awesome, thank you for your contribution.

Vinge
01.08.2012 , 05:18 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrips View Post
I recently just went past level 30, and I'm pretty much a pure healing spec. With Gault as a replacement for Mako, I've found that I need to keep him geared up high so he has enough health and armor to survive a fight with a 'gold' mob.

How often are the rest of you healers using the chaff skill? I tend to hit that right after triggering a fight to lower threat on me and divert them to my companion. Does anyone havve a preferred time to set off chaff to boost its threat mitigation the best?
I'm currently lvl 35, also pretty much a full bodyguard heal spec and also using Gault as my dps companion, and I don't use Chaff Flare at all when soloing.

At my current lvl I'd much rather tank the mobs myself rather than trying to divert threat to my companion, as with Energy Shield (and the various talents that make heals uniterruptable when its up etc) its much easier to keep myself alive than keep my companion alive.

archzai
01.08.2012 , 11:34 AM | #88
As merc healer, what stats should I be looking to stack and what enhancements should I be getting? +power and +alacrity? thanks!

djinnerman
01.08.2012 , 07:23 PM | #89
Hi guys thanks for the love.

Alacrity is a nice stat that gives us haste. Contrary to the cause, people deny alacrity as a useful stat because of heat "complication" issues. If you heal right and use the right rotations for healing, you shouldn't be running into much trouble with heat issues at all. That being said, the quicker you get a heal off, the better you're off. This is because of the major crunch time you have between you and damaging foes. In a PvP aspect, this is even more essential because popping off your heals quicker can mean life or death in the battlefield. We need to focus on Alacrity and Power. Power doesn't scale as we are expecting per say, but the added boost in the healing benefits can prove contrary.

Also, look at the note that I placed in quotes that TempestasSilva mentioned located in Healing Specs (subjected to be moved into Stats and You). The quicker the heal, the more time you have to do other things.

ALSO, another cool thing is that alacrity affects the Global Cooldown. The faster the GCD, the more likely you are able to set off another heal. Just remember, working the right rotation can make a large impact in your heat management.

TempestasSilva

I just did some field testing and heat dissipates even after you begin your casts for healing.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

TempestasSilva
01.09.2012 , 01:59 PM | #90
On Leveling as a bodyguard:
Ok, so I have a very sad (for me) update. I am now 37 and just finished the Taris Bonus series and Moved on to Quesh. Now Quesh is listed as 36-37, so I am not under leveled. Infact, I thing I have been hitting most of the planets at the lowest level in the range.

There was a HUGE jump in difficulty IMO. And I am not alone in thinking so as referenced in this thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=897709

I have all three of our companions geared very well with mostly orange gear and current level blue armorings, etc.

While I am in no way saying it is not doable, I tried all 3 companions and I wasnt satisfied with any. A simple reg+strong was no longer simple and an elite was now a crap shoot.

SO....I respeced enough to get tracer missile, then put the rest back in Bodyguard. I basically gave up Kolto Shell, and the talents that gave boosts to healing scan and I only have a 665 chance to reduce the cost of my next rapid scan. I also switched from Combat Support Cylinder to High Velocity Gas.

The difference is NIGHT and DAY. To the point that I wonder if I should have done it sooner.

I am also disappointed that out 3rd companion didn't have "modes" like the 1st 2. Mako have DPS and Heals. The next has Single target DPS vs AOE DPS. I expected the third to have like DPS & Tank, but no such luck. Even with changing which abilities he had and trying to give him as much endurance as possible while still having aim too, his health is lower than mine by several hundred and he does not seem much more resilient than our 2nd one. I do like him being Melee.

The good news is I don't feel like I lost THAT much in healing and I will slowly get back what I lost.

In Some ways, I kind of feel like a traitor, but it was needed.

On Topic
Yes, the "normal" Global Cool Down (GCD) is 1.5 seconds.
In another thread, a poster (Mooby) stated that with 17% Alacrity, he was getting 1.25 second Healing Scans. He also made some other statements that need discussion and testing:
Quote: Originally Posted by Mooby View Post
Crit has a 40% soft cap / 50% hard cap, so you're probably not wanting to go over 35% unbuffed Tech crit. Surge has massive DR from 85% so that's the point to stop for that, maybe even stop at 80%. Power has a bad coefficient to Healing Power compared to Damage but after the above are reaching the point where DR is coming into play it's the best alternative. So I'm going to go on a limb and say:

Crit to 30% - 35%
Surge to 80% - 85%
Alacrity to 10% (15% with System Calibrations)

After that, stack power. These numbers will be impossible to obtain without Flashpoint / Operations / Mastercraft crafting gear. Myself, I've gone with a nice mix and Tech crit is at 35%, Surge at 77%, Alacrity at 10% and +323 Power. Unfortunately I have no math to back this up, purely my own observations after playing Bodyguard and what "feels" right.