How do I explain this to a new player?

Jydo-Law

My brother-in-law is a massive Star Wars fan. I finally got him to try SWTOR.

He wasn't even on the space station 5 min after getting off Tython and he asks me " Why do all these ppl have their light saber on when they are strapped to their belts? It lookes stupid."

Me: " Yeah ummmm. I dunno know man. BW is gonn fix it soon I'm sure....................................."

HK got 3 bug fixes today!!!!! Why the H#LL hasen't our companions been fixed yet BW?!?!?!

I know ppl are complaining about this. It looks stupid!!! And frankley it shows us u are way more concerned about ANYTHING but quality.

It's the little things. Do the pp who make decisions even play the game or MMOs at all?

I try not to complain too much, but, ya, that one seems to bother me more than it should.

Before the F2P update it happened less often than now. Now it's just the norm.

And if there was one nit-picky bug I'd like to see fixed sooner than later it'd be this.

Being that it's been around for quite some time, albeit not near as bad as recently, I think the devs are a good bit stumped by it.

Edited by Belacose

My brother-in-law is a massive Star Wars fan. I finally got him to try SWTOR.

He wasn't even on the space station 5 min after getting off Tython and he asks me " Why do all these ppl have their light saber on when they are strapped to their belts? It lookes stupid."

There are A LOT of limitations in any medium you choose for your roleplaying needs. Why are there cars in the background of "Braveheart"? Because the moviemakers missed them. Why are historical recreation people wearing modern watches? Etc.

We have to do some suspension of disbelief on our part. Quite a lot.

Some bugs are more important then others. The whole lightsaber issue while being irritating is not game breaking. There are still game breaking bugs going on so they get the spotlight.

Ok, I have to take issue with a comment like this.

New players will not likely experience the HK bugs. A new player will MOST DEFINITELY see the lightsaber bug all over the place and experience it themselves as well.

The bug really casts a cheap palor over the game for a new player IMO. It needs to be the TOP fix priority from my perspective. ANYTHING that casts the game in a bad light for new players must be a priority.

How do I explain this to a new player?

Doo doo happens. Anyone living in the real world should be able to grasp this. :)

And the matching answer to this is, when he asks why it's not fixed: some doo doo gets cleaned up.... some sits in plain sight and ages and matures until it's fossilized. :D

MMOs must give us little things to cope with, lest we forget we are in a virtual world and never return to real life. :p

Edited by Andryah

Some bugs are more important then others. The whole lightsaber issue while being irritating is not game breaking. There are still game breaking bugs going on so they get the spotlight.

Lightsabers are among the most major iconic symbols of Star Wars. It's lightsabers that make both the universe and the game unique and special. It's lightsabers that attract people to play this particular game, ignoring better options.

When a new player starts to play this game, he expects to see lightsabers, force powers and epic stories. When he finds out that one of this major aspects is broken for many months, and there's still no even an approximate ETA on this issue, he comes to an obvious conclusion - developers couldn't care less about how the game looks in its player's eyes, they couldn't care less about quality.

There are only so many hours in a day. This is a silly bug. But it's harmless for most people. If it really ruins your (or your friend's) experience so much, then I really don't think computer games are for you.

I don't know, man. Seems most put a large emphasis on how their toons dress and look, myself included.

I quit playing my bounty hunter for a while because I couldn't stand his rice bowl helmet. After my Jedi found a cool bounty hunter helmet I sent to my powertech and found myself playing the character again because, simply, I looked good.

Not being a computer guy I can only tell myself that the DEVs must be really lost on this one. If they're not than there must not be much candid conversation concerning priorities amongst them and whoever the big boss is. Kind of like Jerry Jones keeping himself surrounded by 'yes' men..

It annoys the crap out of me. FIX IT BIOWARE!!!!

Honestly, it's an EASY fix too! When you first summon a companion, demount, enter a new area, etc, your companions always have their weapons out. They quickly put them away, and that's when the issue occurs. Now, if you force your companions to draw their weapons by turning their stance off, then back on, they draw the weapons and then put them away the right way. So, the fix you ask? Well, make it so the companions have their weapons sheathed when summoned, after you demount, enter a new area, etc by default. The bug only happens when they put away their weapons AFTER one of those scenarios. So, this should fix the problem.

And to all of the people that say "this isn't game breaking, blah blah blah!!", having Kira constantly have a lightsaber through her face made me not want to continue on with my Guardian.... it's THAT annoying. Also, if they can spend time fixing other aesthetics, they can fix this.

Edited by Galbatorrix

How much time did they spend getting the facial expressions for various emotes to work? Seems there was plenty of time for THAT aesthetic touch. And that wasn't even a fix! That was them deciding to add, yet again, something that NO ONE was clamoring for.

At this point, I'm just assuming they've opted not to fix the older stuff.

There are only so many hours in a day. This is a silly bug. But it's harmless for most people. If it really ruins your (or your friend's) experience so much, then I really don't think computer games are for you.

What the hell are you talking about?

If you're posting messages like that, I think that the forums are not for you.

This bug is in the game since release ...just saying. Cant be that hard to fix, can it?

I don't know, man. Seems most put a large emphasis on how their toons dress and look, myself included.

I quit playing my bounty hunter for a while because I couldn't stand his rice bowl helmet. After my Jedi found a cool bounty hunter helmet I sent to my powertech and found myself playing the character again because, simply, I looked good.

Not being a computer guy I can only tell myself that the DEVs must be really lost on this one. If they're not than there must not be much candid conversation concerning priorities amongst them and whoever the big boss is. Kind of like Jerry Jones keeping himself surrounded by 'yes' men..

Certainly, how you look is very important. It's important to me. But this affects companions. Players can sheath their weapons just fine. It's super-silly, I agree and it should be fixed, but if it is ruining the game for a person, then that person is being far too sensitive IMO.

Certainly, how you look is very important. It's important to me. But this affects companions. Players can sheath their weapons just fine. It's super-silly, I agree and it should be fixed, but if it is ruining the game for a person, then that person is being far too sensitive IMO.

I agree. And there are workarounds for the companion problem (discussed yesterday in forum in fact).

It's not really fair to say that it's an EASY fix since we really don't know how it's coded. It could be a really difficult fix, connected in some way to the code that pulls the weapons out automatically during combat and proper automatic companion stances. The animation for lightsabers draw and remove has always been buggy, and this could just be an extension of this problem.

So it could be related to the code for the drawing of the blades overall, or it could be just related to the companion stance...all guesses by the way.

At any rate, I think something like this, if it was easy to fix would have already been fixed. It may not be gamebreaking, but it has to be embarrassing to the game designers.

I still feel it should be a top priority now since we are trying to draw new players and the image of the game is very important for retention and first impressions...but I realize it may not be an easy fix.

I agree, this is one of those stupid bugs that just shows how little thought goes into the polish of this game (leftover saber blades lying around, having to click on the /who search button twice, etc etc.. I'd make a list except I've already reported all the one's I've noticed months ago and none of them have been fixed, barring a couple of spelling errors.)

One reason why this particular one sticks out (har har) is because for a while it was fixed... and then at some point they broke the script again (around 1.2? 1.1?) and its been like that ever since. The real kicker is that in beta, companion sheathing/wielding status simply mirrored whatever it was the player was doing, thus bypassing any kind of script errors completely and placing the control firmly in the hands of the player. Why this, along with so many other things that made sense, got pulled from release is anyone's guess.

Edited by Polebreaker

Explain to him that due to poor sales/customer retention, EA/Bioware are under financial pressure.

Most players are aware of the lightsaber bugs, alongside many, many other bugs - but they've gotten used to it. In short, it's not on enough people's radar that EA/BW prioritise fixing it. Sure, everyone finds it annoying - but everyone is still spending money.

• Fixing it won't generate more income.
  • It's not a "big" enough issue to drive customers away.
  • It might be the proverbial straw on the camels back for some people, but they already left a while ago.
  • People have short memories, they are generally concerned with the issue of the moment (HK-51 for example) rather than long standing bugs like the pylon that's in the wrong position during the descent to kill The Infernal One at the end of Eternity Vault. Which is how EA/BW prioritise their fixes.
  • Whilst people sabre rattle in threads like this about general quality and bugs, they keep paying.

Need more examples?...

5th March 2011 - /readycheck - 'nuff said.

This line intentionally left blank

Edited by Woetoo

I have to admit that this bug annoys the heck out of me. While it doesn't affect gameplay, it must, as the OP suggested, leave a very negative impression on people new to the game. Bad PR to have such highly visible bugs hang around for so long.

It makes the game look like a cheap piece of crap, and it does so visibly, everywhere you see saber wielding toons. For months and months they couldn't even manage to fix this with players, and sentinels went running around like idiots with sabers sticking through their knees into the ground. The fact that it's so visible, and looks so stupid, is reason enough to fix it; because of what it says to players about how little pride and effort the developers put into their work.

It's like walking onto a car lot and seeing a bunch of cars with the nameplates or logo badges glued on upside down. It doesn't mean a darn thing to how that car drives on the highway, but are you seriously going to consider buying a car from the company that can't get something like that right?

Edited by Heezdedjim