Abilities and Visual Cues

atsoul

Are there any talks about visual updates? Specifically for abilities?

As a PvP'er these have serious implications and would like to know if there are/were ever any mentions to some classes having their abilities redone for better visibility.

It's not easy nor is it fair that abilities like enraged defense or even gravity vortex effects are hard to get a visual cue on and sometimes have to rely on looking for the buff icon instead of the player, when it's combined with other similar looking/colored abilities.

These serve as hindrances playing against and it's not fun to have to keep an eye on buffs rather than having the fluid gameplay served by the graphics.

Classes like mercs have very visible cues and players are able to respond accordingly, at least have it distinct enough to be instantly able to tell when an ability gets activated

Edited by atsoul

This isn't quite as easy as it may sound on the surface.

There are a lot of abilities in SWTOR, getting a distinct visual queue for each is not easy, especially for defensive abilities which are often internal by nature.

There is also the problem of they don't want to overdo the visuals either. When I play a sentinel or marauder I never take the centering/whatever the SM version is called because I get so annoyed walking around looking like a fluorescent lightbulb/human torch. I never group/PVP so I don't care about the loss of stats.

Edited by MadDutchman

If they wanna keep it to pvp mode only sure go for it. I'm already sick of all the excessive and blurry effects thrown on all your characters whenever you are in a fight. If anything I wish they'd add a toggle for turning it all off if you are not in a pvp instance/match

I mean it's just so hard to see some abilities mixed in together, for example Sith Marauder, saber ward + gravity vortex effect. How the heck are you supposed to notice that little red bubble inside a bigger red bubble, unless you really train your eye for it?

I'm suggesting just like the jugg's shield icon on their DCD or something similar is placed in Marauder's as well, it doesnt have to be a flashy effect, even just some icon will do it

If they wanna keep it to pvp mode only sure go for it. I'm already sick of all the excessive and blurry effects thrown on all your characters whenever you are in a fight. If anything I wish they'd add a toggle for turning it all off if you are not in a pvp instance/match

You'd be hard pressed to believe SWTOR is one of the least flashiest MMO's out there

Edited by atsoul

This would be great, Mara is one of the biggest offenders here for me too. They do have a lot of DCDs and half of them are barely recognizable in a team fight.

It doesn't have to be visual though they could also have a much more unique sound that you can easily recognize.

This is also an issue for a lot of light saber attacks for me, they all sound very similar and are hard to recognize if they are not visually different.

Yup, I too have a gripe with Mara DCD's and why isn't it simple enough to either resize abilities, recolor, or better yet redo just some class abilities that have impact on gameplay?

There are a lot of abilities in SWTOR, getting a distinct visual queue for each is not easy, especially for defensive abilities which are often internal by nature.

There's really only select classes and specific abilities that need a rework in graphics, you don't have to redo every single ability, just the hard offenders and such.

Edited by atsoul

For a second, I thought this would be about the original tracer missile animation. ;)

(I don't know if anyone left on this board gets the reference.)

All I have to say about this, is this video lol :cool:

Edited by kirorx

For a second, I thought this would be about the original tracer missile animation. ;)

(I don't know if anyone left on this board gets the reference.)

I got it. He'll surely make a fifth account to troll on after reading this. It must've gotten too expensive for him to be quiet for so long.