Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darth Thanaton and Movativation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Darth Thanaton and Movativation

Xenipher
07.03.2019 , 04:22 PM | #1
I'm going through the SI story and....why does Thanaton want to kill my SI, exactly? I listened to all of the dialogue and pay close attention, but I am still confused on what's happening in this story. I'm midway through part 2.
"Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him."

tuulem
07.03.2019 , 05:26 PM | #2
Your former master broke The Rules, and therefore, according to Thanaton, you have to die as you are/were a part of her power base. I'm a little hazy on when that conversation happens, but I think when you meet him for the second time after Zash's ritual spectacularly backfires.

After you stubbornly refuse to get dead on many occasions, I think it just turns into a matter of pride on his part; he refuses to be bested by an apprentice, who just so happens to be a former slave (and quite possibly an alien too).

MadDutchman
07.03.2019 , 07:30 PM | #3
Yah, you are considered guilty by association.

Of course, Thanaton proves himself a regular hypocrite when things don't go his way, but i guess that's a typical Sith for you.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Xenipher
07.03.2019 , 09:21 PM | #4
I can't figure out what rule Zash broke? I know Thanaton told my SI that Zash went against some Sith tradition when she arranged Skotia's death, but it all seemed like nonsense - basically it literally makes no sense to me in context of the Sith. Which Sith tradition states that you can't exploit a rival's (or your master's) weakness in order to kill them and take their place in the hierarchy? As Baras says in the SW story, "Every Sith must attend to his own promotion." What Zash did seems par for the course for the Sith.

What I mean is I literally don't understand what rule/tradition Thanaton is talking about. He is supposed to be the villain, but I am mostly a mixture of amused, bemused, but mostly I am confused.
"Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him."

Rebamcfan
07.03.2019 , 11:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenipher View Post
I can't figure out what rule Zash broke? I know Thanaton told my SI that Zash went against some Sith tradition when she arranged Skotia's death, but it all seemed like nonsense - basically it literally makes no sense to me in context of the Sith. Which Sith tradition states that you can't exploit a rival's (or your master's) weakness in order to kill them and take their place in the hierarchy? As Baras says in the SW story, "Every Sith must attend to his own promotion." What Zash did seems par for the course for the Sith.

What I mean is I literally don't understand what rule/tradition Thanaton is talking about. He is supposed to be the villain, but I am mostly a mixture of amused, bemused, but mostly I am confused.
Could it be due that Zash herself is very unconventional Sith? It's been a while since I played through Inquisitor's story, but Wookieepedia states that Thanaton took immense disliking for Zash as he felt she was disrespecting the Sith culture, history and tradition.
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg If you liked what I posted, feel free to use my Referral link. ^_^

tuulem
07.04.2019 , 01:25 AM | #6
It's pretty much summed up here as to why he has a beef with you.

Spoiler

ceryxp
07.04.2019 , 05:10 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tuulem View Post
It's pretty much summed up here as to why he has a beef with you.

Spoiler
There is another facet that isn't expressly outlined in that Wiki article. Teneb Kel (Thanaton before becoming a Darth) was a slave who slowly rose to power. That rise was hampered by Kel's master, Lord Calypho, being arrested and imprisoned for heresy and ambition (kinda the same charges Thanaton levels at Zash). Kel was guilty by association and had to undergo several trials before being made a Darth, and really only got there because Kel learned something that they used to blackmail the Dark Council into a promotion. Sounds pretty similar to Lord Kallig, their master, and their rise to power. Except that your rise is much quicker, you don't have to undergo all of those trials before you are promoted to Lord, and Thanaton repeated shows that they are a hypocrite. Being a hide bound, staunch adherent to tradition is fine until it's inconvenient for Thanaton then they ignore that and break the rules.

I think Thanaton's motivation is much more simple and all of that stuff about Zash being a corrupting influence is just an excuse. In Lord Kallig Thanaton sees a rival. Thanaton sees someone who started from as low a station as they did but who rose to power much faster. Thanaton's just doing what every Darth does. Eliminating a rival.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Xenipher
07.04.2019 , 07:30 AM | #8
Thanks for the explanations. I understand Thanaton's motivations better now. The article helped, but I didn't feel like I got an adequate explanation from the story itself.

FlameYOL
07.04.2019 , 08:00 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ceryxp View Post
There is another facet that isn't expressly outlined in that Wiki article. Teneb Kel (Thanaton before becoming a Darth) was a slave who slowly rose to power. That rise was hampered by Kel's master, Lord Calypho, being arrested and imprisoned for heresy and ambition (kinda the same charges Thanaton levels at Zash). Kel was guilty by association and had to undergo several trials before being made a Darth, and really only got there because Kel learned something that they used to blackmail the Dark Council into a promotion. Sounds pretty similar to Lord Kallig, their master, and their rise to power. Except that your rise is much quicker, you don't have to undergo all of those trials before you are promoted to Lord, and Thanaton repeated shows that they are a hypocrite. Being a hide bound, staunch adherent to tradition is fine until it's inconvenient for Thanaton then they ignore that and break the rules.

I think Thanaton's motivation is much more simple and all of that stuff about Zash being a corrupting influence is just an excuse. In Lord Kallig Thanaton sees a rival. Thanaton sees someone who started from as low a station as they did but who rose to power much faster. Thanaton's just doing what every Darth does. Eliminating a rival.
Yes, this. 100% THIS. A lot of people forget the Blood of the Empire comics, and I think they're critical to understanding Thanaton as a character.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

BenKatarn
07.04.2019 , 11:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Yes, this. 100% THIS. A lot of people forget the Blood of the Empire comics, and I think they're critical to understanding Thanaton as a character.
You see, that exactly is what Idon't get about Thanaton. From what I remember of the comic, Thanaton wasn't even a lord at that point, but he used info recovered from Exal Kressh to essentially blackmail the Dark Council into making him a Darth on the spot, so he didn't exactly play by the rules either.
- = = The Atrias Legacy = = -
Aryne, Jedi Sentinel | Cayra, Jedi Sage | Kherra, Scoundrel | Khenna, Vanguard
Vertos, Sith Juggernaut | Zedas, Sith Sorcerer | Ysari, Sniper | Neith, Powertech