Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I dislike this story and yet...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
I dislike this story and yet...

Gakowashere's Avatar


Gakowashere
10.24.2019 , 10:39 AM | #1
I just can't seem to understand what people are liking about it, all I see are just the same two warmongers governments (Empire v/s Republics) meaningless kill each other.

Honestly my main Jedi Shadow just wanted to do a "Blast this, I'm out of here.", at least I got to reject the deal at the end.

Maybe I'm missing something important somewhere and I need some clarification on some points of the story.

Or maybe I just have a (really) bad taste (by some people) in story telling because I did like Kotfe a lot, and the Jedi Consular story for that matter.

HOODRXCH's Avatar


HOODRXCH
10.24.2019 , 10:51 AM | #2
Personally, I really enjoy the whole ancient galactic war between the two factions story a lot. I've always enjoyed that sort of thing, though, and I can definitely see why it gets very boring and repetitive, very quickly for many people. Obviously, they advertised Onslaught as this big WAR expansion, finally getting your hands on the enemy side's necks and destroying them. But it was literally just a few quests on two new planets, which were cool, and a FP that consisted of... well, nothing. I thought it would be more like taking back Korriban after it's invasion by Jedi, or invading Tython, with the DDay-esque battle and carnage, but I was wrong.
Obviously this story will continue, but who knows how long that'll take, and what is there to do in-between now and then? Like everyone else says, the same ole... grind FPs, dailies, maybe an OP or two, some PvP.. the same, until we get some more story stuff, which hopefully takes longer than 2 hours to complete. I honestly really liked being able to rejoin the Empire or stay with the Alliance, and of course, imo, Malgus is sick as always, but yeah.. it was kind of a let down.

Gakowashere's Avatar


Gakowashere
10.24.2019 , 11:15 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by HOODRXCH View Post
Personally, I really enjoy the whole ancient galactic war between the two factions story a lot. I've always enjoyed that sort of thing, though, and I can definitely see why it gets very boring and repetitive, very quickly for many people. Obviously, they advertised Onslaught as this big WAR expansion, finally getting your hands on the enemy side's necks and destroying them. But it was literally just a few quests on two new planets, which were cool, and a FP that consisted of... well, nothing. I thought it would be more like taking back Korriban after it's invasion by Jedi, or invading Tython, with the DDay-esque battle and carnage, but I was wrong.
Obviously this story will continue, but who knows how long that'll take, and what is there to do in-between now and then? Like everyone else says, the same ole... grind FPs, dailies, maybe an OP or two, some PvP.. the same, until we get some more story stuff, which hopefully takes longer than 2 hours to complete. I honestly really liked being able to rejoin the Empire or stay with the Alliance, and of course, imo, Malgus is sick as always, but yeah.. it was kind of a let down.
Well, they actually didn't advertised the story that much, but it still was easy to get carried away just by the word expansion.

Also, I don't actually expect any story updates till December, that will probably be just a tease from where the epilogue left off, And then wait till February/March for another tease. As for what to do during all that time, there is a reason why I take long brakes from this game (and others.)

SerraShar's Avatar


SerraShar
10.24.2019 , 05:50 PM | #4
The charm if I dare call it that, at least in my own experience and I shall speak from my own playtrough and not for everyone else .

Is that from 1 to 50, you were part of said factions . It was your home, and if it wasn't (like say you could be a double agent in the Agent storyilne) at least you had a goal . A drive, something .

But truth is, after Kotfe and Kotet landed, it kinda broke the whole thing . Then they decided to act like it never happen...

so there is this chasme wide open between the previous content and what they are pushing, and its like a black hole eating and sapping away .

Meaning that with KOTFE and KOTET, no matter how awful it was (And it was awful), they could've done something on top of that . Build something about the stuff that happen there . The fall of Valkorian was ''Felt'' but it's like..you killed a Wompa and nothing else .

Personally, I would've made the repb and Empire form an alliance and introduce something scary . Something bigger, something that would force all 3 factions to work together . To grow and change .

And we did , against Valkorian and Vaylin and all . But really, it was all whispered in the background and we didnt get to LIVE or SEE any of it .

Then Acina show up (Or Malcolm) On Iokath, throw a tantrum.....blabber something about God of Machine...

and then nothing .

The point pretty much isn't if this line of Imp vs Repb is good or bad . Any story can become stellar in the right writer hands .

Here, the issue is that the writer pretty much suck .

It's almost like they are out of ideas, and they are scarpping the barrel trying to salvage what they can .

Everytime you think they surprise you (and they do, but in a bad way) and get your hopes up. On Yavin 4 ? They talked about storming the ritual chamber of Valkorian. Stop HIM!

How that turned out ? You facing REVAN. Oversized Jerk that should never have been made in this game to begin with . He get glued back, wave at you and scarm leaving you with a mess HE MADE .

And Valkorian ? MUAHAHAHAHA then run away .

Yeah, great story telling that was .

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did enjoy the revan expansion. Very much. My worrie was that it be revan this and revan that . And it wasn't . Homewhever, I really hated that last part .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldnít know a momentís peace!

Gakowashere's Avatar


Gakowashere
10.24.2019 , 08:22 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SerraShar View Post
The charm if I dare call it that, at least in my own experience and I shall speak from my own playtrough and not for everyone else .

Is that from 1 to 50, you were part of said factions . It was your home, and if it wasn't (like say you could be a double agent in the Agent storyilne) at least you had a goal . A drive, something .

But truth is, after Kotfe and Kotet landed, it kinda broke the whole thing . Then they decided to act like it never happen...

so there is this chasme wide open between the previous content and what they are pushing, and its like a black hole eating and sapping away .

Meaning that with KOTFE and KOTET, no matter how awful it was (And it was awful), they could've done something on top of that . Build something about the stuff that happen there . The fall of Valkorian was ''Felt'' but it's like..you killed a Wompa and nothing else .

Personally, I would've made the repb and Empire form an alliance and introduce something scary . Something bigger, something that would force all 3 factions to work together . To grow and change .

And we did , against Valkorian and Vaylin and all . But really, it was all whispered in the background and we didnt get to LIVE or SEE any of it .

Then Acina show up (Or Malcolm) On Iokath, throw a tantrum.....blabber something about God of Machine...

and then nothing .

The point pretty much isn't if this line of Imp vs Repb is good or bad . Any story can become stellar in the right writer hands .

Here, the issue is that the writer pretty much suck .

It's almost like they are out of ideas, and they are scarpping the barrel trying to salvage what they can .

Everytime you think they surprise you (and they do, but in a bad way) and get your hopes up. On Yavin 4 ? They talked about storming the ritual chamber of Valkorian. Stop HIM!

How that turned out ? You facing REVAN. Oversized Jerk that should never have been made in this game to begin with . He get glued back, wave at you and scarm leaving you with a mess HE MADE .

And Valkorian ? MUAHAHAHAHA then run away .

Yeah, great story telling that was .

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did enjoy the revan expansion. Very much. My worrie was that it be revan this and revan that . And it wasn't . Homewhever, I really hated that last part .
While I agree that the quality of the story has been progressively decaying, I wouldn't blame only the writers. There is enough information in the internet (that could or not be truth) about some of the behind scenes events of bioware that makes me wander whether their are trying to make a martyr of themselves.

But that is a whole different discussion, so lets not go there.

What I'm really having trouble is understanding the appeal of two civilizations wiping each other out over nothing, I really can't see what they are fighting for during onslaught. Will this thing end when one side cease to exist? The Empire and Republic, Jedi and Stih; they are all based in Ideas and Ideals, how you tackle life, how you treat others, what do you do with power, those things can't be destroyed.

Honestly, I think Huttbraker is the most sane character here, I did kill those two council members (whose names I have trouble to spell right now) so her people could remain neutral.

SerraShar's Avatar


SerraShar
10.24.2019 , 08:53 PM | #6
Quote:
What I'm really having trouble is understanding the appeal of two civilizations wiping each other out over nothing, I really can't see what they are fighting for during onslaught. Will this thing end when one side cease to exist? The Empire and Republic, Jedi and Stih; they are all based in Ideas and Ideals, how you tackle life, how you treat others, what do you do with power, those things can't be destroyed.
and thats where the 'Bad writing' show it's ugly head.

Before KOTFE and KOTET, both side fought. right ?

when we face Valkorians, we discover he was the instigator. He pushed and manipulated and yada yada both side to fight...and he suck up all tha force or whatever and make himself immortal.

Once you take him down, you Go: Phew..finally. Now those 2 will stop bickering !

But instead, here they are fighting again.

Why ? Cose we lost daddy Sugar! Without him , we dont know if there is a new path for us. So..*Shrug*..we gonna keep fighting..cose thats all we know what to do !

I never watched the Star Wars movies, save for the 1st I think ? and I was a little kid. Watched the princess..and harisson ford...and I got bored and never looked back . (I come from kotor 1 and 2) .

Yet, in those movies..no matter what, apparently thats what star wars is all about. Both side fight, some wanna be rise to power.....either a jeeday or a sith...KABOUM! mass destruction..rinse and repeat...add stuff here and there, and there you go.

And yes, its a miracle. so far no side have been completely wiped out.

Then again, the lesson of star war has always been : as long as there is a jedi, there will always be a sith. Since you know...jeeday are the factory that give birth to sith ? lol

Huttbraker tried to pull an Aria T'loak , OMEGA IS MEH BLAHBLAH lol

she got nothing on sexy asari .

Beside, neutrality never work. It didnt work back in Kotor 1 with the Selkath . It wouldnt have worked with her. Heck, you saw that even if you get ride of the Sith (Shaar and Vowarn Dude) (Havent done or finished my 1st playtrough, so dunno what happen on the repb side)...but the exchange and the Hutt were crawling in the belly and she didnt even see it happen lol .

The other thing is, we are supposed to be a faction of our own . and the real question is : WHERE IS THE BENEFIT FOR US! Be us siding with the repb or the Empire ? (Beside I hate the repb they gotta die vs the Jeeday or Repb dude wanna preserve the ideals and peace)...where is our gain ??? There must be more then the old doctrines to be preserved . We are using our time and ressources and even our peoples to help either side.

So far I have seen none .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldnít know a momentís peace!

krakadyla's Avatar


krakadyla
10.27.2019 , 06:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gakowashere View Post
Honestly, I think Huttbraker is the most sane character here, I did kill those two council members (whose names I have trouble to spell right now) so her people could remain neutral.
I think the Huttbreaker character is writers winking at us with "Yeah, we know this idiotic eternal war between two factions makes no sense, but that's what the majority wants, so"

Gakowashere's Avatar


Gakowashere
10.27.2019 , 04:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by krakadyla View Post
I think the Huttbreaker character is writers winking at us with "Yeah, we know this idiotic eternal war between two factions makes no sense, but that's what the majority wants, so"
And because majority dislikes Kotfe, the the things I liked will fade into oblivion. I have conflicted feelings about this.

SerraShar's Avatar


SerraShar
10.27.2019 , 06:02 PM | #9
I personally think the biggest issue with Kotfe and Kotet were two folds :

1- The shoving of 8 class stories into 1, was their biggest mistake.

2- The fact that the story feel like it's not about our character at all.

One could say that 'Doh its about stopping Valkorians and Arcann and Vaylin'' . Which it's , but do we have to be just a ******* Outlander that its job is to get thrown around like a rag doll, push a button for the cutscene and make ''Choices'' that don't alter the story at all ??

Nowhere in that Kotfe and Kotet anything we did Mattered . Not once I felt like my character has any meaning .

Valk blablbah and set you up for the finally . And you are just a bystandar that just got the worst luck to be there and witness this family drama .
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldnít know a momentís peace!

Zeerastul's Avatar


Zeerastul
10.28.2019 , 05:52 AM | #10
I like the story but my biggest problem is that Onslaught is not an expansion and should not have been named an expansion, Onslaught was just way to short IMO. They should not have called this an expansion at all, a proper expansion is what WoW/FFXIV etc have done now that is a proper expansion