Slicing = Gambling not Gathering

halfpastzero

At this point Slicing is the only skill in the game where missions give you no return. I'm not talking about failed missions I'm talking about successful missions. Any other gathering skill you pay X credits and get Y items on a successful mission. Obviously the vendor value of Y items is less than X credits with a small chance of getting >Y items. Slicing you pay X credits and get <X credits with a small chance of getting slightly >X credits plus a schematic or mission discovery. If slicers can't have credits I would like to see a greater yield of schematics and mission discoveries for missions because as of now missions are completely useless. The only skill where missions are actually useless. GG Bioware. Edited by halfpastzero

At this point Slicing is the only skill in the game where missions give you no return. I'm not talking about failed missions I'm talking about successful missions. Any other gathering skill you pay X credits and get Y items on a successful mission. Obviously the vendor value of Y items is less than X credits with a small chance of getting >Y items. Slicing you pay X credits and get <X credits with a small chance of getting slightly >X credits plus a schematic or mission discovery. If slicers can't have credits I would like to see a greater yield of schematics and mission discoveries for missions because as of now missions are completely useless. The only skill where missions are actually useless. GG Bioware.

You make a correct statement about slicing...pre-nerf. It was gambling then and not gathering. BioWare did not intend for it to be that way. To think of it as a nerf is the wrong way of looking. They fixed it so that it works as a gathering skill (which it was originally intended to be).

Edited by mynimoe

You make a correct statement about slicing...pre-nerf. It was gambling then and not gathering. BioWare did not intend for it to be that way. To think of it as a nerf is the wrong way of looking. They fixed it so that it works as a gathering skill (which it was originally intended to be).

Gathering of what, exactly? How does what you get through Slicing in any shape or form measure up to what you get through other gathering skills? The tech schematics that are supposedly rare aren't rare at all, and the 'valuable items' are of very, very poor value and little use. It was supposed to be a way to get three things; credits, schematics, and items, and it's now nothing but a money sink. It's not necessary for any of the other craftings, and in fact, means you can't take one of the gathering skills necessary to do your crafting. I always figured you'd buy the materials from the money you'd make for it - thus being just a different way of acquiring them and making it worthwhile to choose Slicing instead of, say, Underworld Trading and still get the materials.

They did what new games do quite a lot - they saw a complaint over something that was a bit overpowered, and nerfed it completely into the ground, thereby rendering it absolutely useless. There is zero reason to take Slicing now. Bringing it down to the level of gain and profit of the other skills would have been fine. Making it pointless... not so much.

Edited by Nassegris

This thinking right here is one I keep seeing. Yes, Slicing is a 'gathering' skill. But one of the most touted features of this game was the ability to send inactive companions off on gathering missions instead of spending time yourself doing it. The way slicing is now, there is exactly no return for sending my inactive companions to run slicing missions while I actually play the game. Instead, the only way to make slicing fulfill its primary purpose of creating credits is to not go where I need to go to quest, but to spend my time running around known spawn areas of slicing nodes.

I actually agree that the nerf was pretty bad. It's to big of a cut back. I actually originally started with treasure hunting and after trying to do that, get training and buy stuff, the economy is just to expensive. With Splicing I was able to keep up with various needs and feel less stressed about how I'm going to save up for this or that, etc. Now it really doesn't feel like Splicing is worth having because there is barely a return, if any on your skill. Most have come back with less then what it cost to send them back with an occasional 100-700 credit gain but it does not balance out.

Paid-Return (All missions are Abundant/Rich/Bountiful)

1930-1823

1175-1288

1175-977

1175-1149

1175-1130

1250-1041

1250-1306

1175-978

1930-2465

So basically, in an hour and a half (roughly) I paid 12235 return was 12157 so I lost just 78 credits and got two missions both blue. This seems like very poor return to me. This is also using the top two level range missions only.

Don't get me wrong, pre nerf we got tons of credits which for balance needed to be nerfed but I think the nerf went to far on the cut back.

Edited by JaddeDragon