Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

5.2 Gear Gap even worse pvp. Keith please fix.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
5.2 Gear Gap even worse pvp. Keith please fix.

Icykill_
05.05.2017 , 09:40 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by voltaicbore View Post
I think I missed some pages while catching up on this thread, so apologies if this has been addressed already.

I've recently come back to swtor because my main computer has a fried gfx card and I'm borrowing one that can't run the other game that made me abandon swtor. That other game has entirely normalized pvp gear - the bolster simply puts everyone at max. Players can make stat choices for different builds by simply picking from any of the 6pc set bonuses in the game, as well as picking different earpieces/implants (which are also at max stat level).

A system like this, if the Hero Engine could even support it, would pretty much turn pvp into a skill-only thing. Of course, it wouldn't solve any of the bellyaching that we'll inevitably see from ppl so far who've farmed 6pc sets. But overall, I think it would save the dev team from continuing to miss the mark on pvp balance.
That's pretty close to what we had before 5.0 was released.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
APAC - sign this thread to say goodbye
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=936181

IanArgent
05.05.2017 , 09:58 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
That's pretty close to what we had before 5.0 was released.
And it meant PvP was accessible to casuals.
You want the Things? Do some Work.
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

Icykill_
05.05.2017 , 10:04 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by IanArgent View Post
And it meant PvP was accessible to casuals.
Keith's honeymoon period is nearly over and if this road map doesn't appear soon and have a way to address this gearing issue then it will be too late to save pvp in this game, at least for me.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
APAC - sign this thread to say goodbye
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=936181

stoopicus
05.05.2017 , 10:11 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Why do you think that? I don't know ONE person who would leave if that were the case. The idea that players play for gear is just absurd...we play because we enjoy what we do.

That being said...I do think Bolster should only go to 244 or 246 stats to allow a minimal amount of progress to be made with gear, but far from the gear gap we have now. Progression is a valuable part of MMOs.
Agreed. The only people that would leave if we brought bolster up to where it was 5.0 pre 5.1 are PvE farmers in it just for farming UC/CXP. Good riddance.

MrNihulus
05.05.2017 , 11:50 AM | #115
One solution I am thinking of would be to have brackets based on command rank. That way tier 1 ranked players would only play against other tier 1 players. One drawback to this might be slower queues and being unable to play along with friends who have higher or lower command ranks. But this could remedy the gear gap a little. This is just my opinion.

_Shaddai_
05.05.2017 , 12:05 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by MrNihulus View Post
One solution I am thinking of would be to have brackets based on command rank. That way tier 1 ranked players would only play against other tier 1 players. One drawback to this might be slower queues and being unable to play along with friends who have higher or lower command ranks. But this could remedy the gear gap a little. This is just my opinion.
This would make it worse as you would inevitably have people farming lower tiers on purpose with partially maxed gear. (in legacy) Having someone run through an op, get left side 242s, and legacy 248s farming tier 1 seems a bit OP.

omaan
05.05.2017 , 01:07 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
Keith, please either change the gearing so dedicated pvpers can gear up as fast as OPS players or increase Bolster to 242
At the moment pvp is ridiculous, it doesn't matter what lvl of skill you are if you have the lowest gear. The people with highest gear have such a big advantage that people with much lower skill, but max armor are smashing people.
Pvp is all I do and it is no longer fun when the gear gap is so big. I've already had PvP people PM me to say they are unsubbing again because of this gearing.
Some actually came back to the game with 5.2 to give it another chance. Now they are leaving again and I'm sure others who stayed subbed while waiting might start unsubbing too.

There needs to be a major change to gearing, Bolster or the gear system for pvp. This slowly, slowly approach just isn't cutting it or getting to the heart of the matter. Pvp is skill vs skill, not gear vs gear, this system is destroying pvp.

5.0 put a major dent in the pvp community and I'm afraid 5.2 is doing the same. If something isn't done in the next few weeks I'd expect most pvpers who don't already have the highest gear will stop pvping or even worse for you guys, unsubscribe to the game.
Personally, I'm probably going to stop playing till it's fixed. If my sub runs out before it's fixed, I'll let it lapse.
Agreed. Esp considering that 246/248 gear drop rates from crates IS RIDICULOUSLY LOW. Iam playing pvp at 300 lvl for 3 weeks and yet got only 2 pieces of 248 and 1 of 246. Why bioware destroying pvp in this game?

ARFett
05.23.2017 , 03:05 AM | #118
Easiest way:

Give us back real PvP gear!

I am a sub since start and PvP gear was introduced due to snafu like this.

"One gear for all content" just won't cut it.

Even with bolster.

The difference in things needed for each part of the game (PvP vs PvE) is ripping the "One for all" command system into pieces.

I liked on PvP gear that full geared PvE players could come in and would be almost evenly matched to PvP geared players due to no expertise.

Also due to PvP tiers gear difference was only 4 (!!!) grades not a ridiculuos 12 like now.

4 grades gave enough of a minor boost to not have game-breaking consequences.

And last of all:

The gear grind is ridiculuos.

While it may be acceptable for PvE content (although the random fickle luck of RNG is a bloody mess) grinding through 300 (!!!) Levels or needing to get thrashed all the way for the gear component.

This "alternative" gearing is ridculuos and cuts off new players totally.

Example:

248 gear mainhand needs 324 components.

Holy Moses!

And you need tier 2 to start to get it if no RNG luck.

Meaning you need some 650+ components to even get it the "normal" way!

With 40 components for a weekly and 12 for a daily that means you literally need ages alone for ONE endgear piece.

And frankly you quit because once the others have highest tier bracket even low skilled players wreck you if they use half a brain in PvP (staying together, taunting, focusing) !

Also I have a LIFE other than waiting on PvP pops and getting thrashed all day by all geared 248 PvP grunts....

:-D

Add to that that if you have alts you are especially at a loss.

I liked to be able to switch to other classes when I wanted.

Now I am deliberately forced to stay on one class.

Because grinding through another 300 levels on alts is plain insane.

With PvP gear and PvP comms I had my pool for comms for ALL characters and could gear alts in no time.

And no this does not made me leary of PvE content as I needed to get this gear through playing PvE content.

A perfect balance as for me.

So:

Remember why you introduced PvP gear in the first place Developers!

Combining a pyramide gearing like it is now is a recipe for disaster as the disparity of what it needs for different content and what it causes on friction is really tearing the game apart.

RichardsonMX
11.03.2017 , 09:07 AM | #119
I starting using my sentinel since 2012 or 2013, with the last gear for pvp for him, is the 162 rating, in level 70, I can do super damage with him. seriously if you still have the 162 rating gear, use it on pvp, works amazing!!
my link: http://www.swtor.com/r/32nYVV
Spoiler