Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When new games are released swtor populations drop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When new games are released swtor populations drop

juliushorst
01.19.2019 , 01:10 PM | #21
Actually I've seen a lot of new and returning players since 5.10 (first time leveling a class or completing story chapter cheevos appear in guild chat quite frequently), there is no problem with pops for whatever you want to do and I haven't had problems getting groups for some weird and rarely done open world activities (like world bosses, DVL bosses or daily area heroics) even late at night.
As for Anthem... well, they'd have to pay me at least standard wage to play it. Looter-shooter is totally not my thing, no matter how good it is.
All grind and no joy makes Jack a dull boy.
Click here. I get this, you get this

annabethchase
01.19.2019 , 05:29 PM | #22
Nobody playing SWTOR is going to Anthem. It's not remotely the same type of game.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

annabethchase
01.19.2019 , 05:33 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Yeah, but I have a feeling that might be linked to Disney negotiation with other producers and EA lose their exclusive licence (rumour of course).
Why would that be a bad thing? In all this time, there's only been the 2 battlefront games by EA. Talk about wasting their opportunity window. Competition will broaden the amount of games we players receive.
Thinking about subbing? Use this link to help us both out http://www.swtor.com/r/3txb7F

TrixxieTriss
01.19.2019 , 11:05 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Nobody playing SWTOR is going to Anthem. It's not remotely the same type of game.
I think it’s a bit naive to think that. I play other games that aren’t like swtor at all as I’m sure many others do.

TrixxieTriss
01.19.2019 , 11:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Why would that be a bad thing? In all this time, there's only been the 2 battlefront games by EA. Talk about wasting their opportunity window. Competition will broaden the amount of games we players receive.
I agree. It would have been better for more competition. Giving them exclusive rights and hardly any oversight is why EA have cancelled 2-3 SW games, mismanaged this game and had publicity isssues around loot boxes in BF.

As some else said recently, imagine if EA had given swtor all those wasted resources and money they spent on those cancelled SW games. How much better could swtor have been?

Exclusivity in anything is basically a monopoly.
Monopolies rarely perfom well for the consumers or end users.
They are often sub par in quality or over priced for what you get because they can do what they want with no competition.

I hope Disney has learnt is lesson with SW and EA and do open up the licence. But that doesn’t mean I’m wrong as to why EA have pulled right back on anymore SW development (beside fallen Jedi). I guess they don’t want all their development eggs in the SW basket when/if they lose exclusivity and the movies are finished being made or the releases of further ones are slowed right down.

If they lose exclusivity and other studios make better SW games, they lose their monopoly to make sub par products. EA might actually have to look and listen to the players above their executive pay bonuses and shareholders to make products that people “want” to play.
Let’s be fair. If another studio (not EA) was to make another SW MMO, swtor would die so fast that they wouldn’t be able to shut the servers down fast enough. Most of us are only still here because there are no other SW MMO alternatives,

TrixxieTriss
01.19.2019 , 11:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
I thought I be one that would have said I would never try another game, and I could have until recently. I tried wow and interesting enough I am enjoying it which I really didn't think I would since I am not really a pvp player not a raid player but I did notice that it doesn't matter when you are out killing things if someone else helps you because you all get credit for it. I thought that was different and makes you relax a bit.

I still play SWTOR but just not like I used to.
GW2 is a lot like that and even better with people helping you (everyone gets the same loot and you can all farm the same node without waiting for it to respawn. There is no ninjaering).
It’s so relaxed that it makes WoW look like a weekend job and swtor like a dead end job people cringe to go to.

AlrikFassbauer
01.20.2019 , 08:14 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Exclusivity in anything is basically a monopoly.
Monopolies rarely perfom well for the consumers or end users.
They are often sub par in quality or over priced for what you get because they can do what they want with no competition.
But they work INCREDIBLY WELL for the shareholders !
Remember that business decisions are always made to increase profits !
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

TrixxieTriss
01.20.2019 , 09:06 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
No argument there.

annabethchase
01.20.2019 , 09:11 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Makes sense for EA to operate that way.

Doesn't make sense for Disney. This was not their way to increase profits over the 10 year time frame. Instead, they got some nice payout in years where a new game drops and nothing meaningful in other years.

If they allowed open competition we'd probably have a substantial SW game in some genre or another at least annually. Then Disney would always be making royalty income.

Lhancelot
01.20.2019 , 10:05 AM | #30
New games won't really put much of a dent in this game at this point imo.

There will always be a Star Wars fanbase, and with the NA servers being condensed to one location I think they already prepped for when the game reaches skeleton crew-like dimensions. There's only one SW MMO, that's this. It's a niche that will exist as long as the game is online, so new games aint going to hurt it much by this point.

Anthem is going to flop. SWTOR will continue getting barely a drip of attention as it has for the last 3 years, the quality will continue down the path they have decided to travel with SWTOR until it ends. That's how this is going to go.

Now. Before the knights attack en masse, I am not saying SWTOR is dead, and will die in the next week. I am pretty sure EA will keep this sinking ship afloat for as long as it brings in a profit which only they know how long that will be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game floats along for another 3-4 years, in whatever form it may be by then. It will continue to have a small and loyal fanbase, as well as a influx of new players periodically, I just don't know how much profit is made off this number of players.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696