Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

i wana know how many devs went to anthem from swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
i wana know how many devs went to anthem from swtor

JattaGin
01.18.2019 , 09:03 AM | #21
2019 will be the best year in the history of Swtor, as the EA 2019 preview (or whatever it was) stated.

I really wonder how they intend to do that as I agree with what some have mentioned here: It definitely seems like everyone but Charles, Eric, Keith and (part-time loaned from Anthem?) Matt are gone. And then they got this one guy who posted on social media that he created (some of?) the Ossus dailies. And there is that GSF guy (maybe an intern?). So, all but 6 are working on Anthem?

And when I think about how much work I get done in 8 hours, I wonder what other projects Eric has. Because his community managing output doesn't fill 8 hours a day. He must have some other tasks, too.
Bioware offers a friend referal system which gives referred players a couple of goodies (incl. 7 free days of sub and a neat free 10 x inventory slot for every character) and referring players some little shinies and cartel coins.
I would be happy if you choose my referral link to grab your free goodies.

Kryptonomic
01.18.2019 , 10:41 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaldalia View Post
i question this because when a basic bug like fixing a weekly quest so it works seems really simple and they said they pushing it back to feb makes me think that they have max 4-6 people working on swtor right now
Keeping in mind a few points:

* The alpha team (i.e., the original development team) for SWTOR was shuffled off fairly quickly after release. (That's not terribly uncommon in MMO development.) SWTOR was released at the end of 2011 and the alpha team shifted in early 2012.

* Anthem went into development in 2012. That was pre-production, which lasted until 2014. At this time various development groups (mainly from BW-Edmonton and BW-Austin) were pulled in. So that's where a lot of the initial loss from other projects would have been felt.

* Core development on Anthem started later in 2015, after the pre-production issues with the Frostbite engine were assumed to be mostly fixed. This was basically the full-on production phase.

* A revamped development phase started (also in 2015 and into 2016) after more issues with Frostbite were deemed to be fixed.

* Keep in mind that Mass Effect: Andromeda was going on at this same time (which also used the Frostbite engine). It was released in 2017 and pretty quickly ran into issues. This eventually led to reshifting of BW-Montreal developers. I mention this only because this influx of developers would have even less mandated the need to pull from an already small SWTOR development team.

So the point here is that the original SWTOR developers were pulled away from the game many years ago. The bulk of those making up Anthem as the production phase geared up (twice) were not dealing with SWTOR as much, and likely not at all.

It is true that Anthem did receive almost the full stock of development work in 2017 across various studios but, by this time, this was a pool of developers from various BioWare offices and likely impacted SWTOR only minimally. The "time to fix" issue that you mention has been something of a problem, in various aspects and to various degrees, for SWTOR for many years now.

Lhancelot
01.18.2019 , 05:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptonomic View Post
It is true that Anthem did receive almost the full stock of development work in 2017 across various studios but, by this time, this was a pool of developers from various BioWare offices and likely impacted SWTOR only minimally. The "time to fix" issue that you mention has been something of a problem, in various aspects and to various degrees, for SWTOR for many years now.
I think this part is most interesting because people constantly like to fault the development of Anthem for the lack of fixes and other recent issues with SWTOR. I mean it's easy to understand why people jump to this conclusion, but according to your take on it that's just not the case.

Since reading your posts I have found myself much more at ease with the state of this game, just having some sensible explanations behind a lot of the questions we have had posed on these forums all the while getting no answers from BW/EA has helped. It's always nice to have some logical explanations behind why a game seems to go a certain way.

Mostly I am still disappointed with this game and how the company handled it over the years, but I am out of energy caring. Plus having these answers have sped up my process of understanding just how futile caring about this game is now in it's present form and going forward.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

tahol
01.18.2019 , 10:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Isn't that the truth lol. That is the single greatest thing about Anthem.
+1 from me. I have never had any hard feelings for a game dev...and then there's Ben Irving. Him leaving filled my petty heart with joy.

DavidAtkinson
01.18.2019 , 11:38 PM | #25
To get an answer you have to listen to the silence on these boards....

I am pretty confident that even the janitor's at BW Austin are focused on Anthem now.

And honestly it's normal. This game is soon 8 years old while Anthem is a new project...

Noerra
01.19.2019 , 07:07 AM | #26
I would like to think most of the SWTOR dev team are "pulled out" for making the 6.0. It's supposed to be expansion right, not just one planet patch?

They have said that:
"In the meantime, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work on some amazing plans for the coming year, with new features and surprises that I think makes it the gameís most exciting year yet." (source: http://blog.bioware.com/2018/08/02/mid-summer-update/ )

and

"And even as we gear up for new projects, our Star Wars: The Old Republic team is hard at work delivering ongoing entertainment Ė envisioning new worlds and storylines that are some of the most ambitious and exciting that Iíve seen yet from that game." (source: http://blog.bioware.com/2018/11/29/november-update/ )

First one sounds like there is actually something bigger coming up, latter is maybe less assuring in that sense (talking about ongoing and not about the future) but still is using plural for new worlds and storylines.

We will see. Hey and before everyone stones me, i am not naive, i am just on the extreme end of optimist by nature .

Xina_LA
01.19.2019 , 07:25 AM | #27
Those announcements about 6.0 are what make me feel like I'll quit SWTOR when it comes out.

I don't want a bunch of new BUGGY systems. Things have been getting worse and worse when it comes to bugs for the last couple of years.

It's hard to believe they'll fix the old bugs when they move forward to new systems.
It's also hard to imagine they'll fix the old bugs on the list after making that list even longer.

A buggy 6.0 would kill my last hopes that eventually they'll make decorating and my other favorite activities fun again, because right now they are not. I can't decorate for 5 minutes without hitting a bug.
--=# Decorating addict of Satele Shan server. #=--

Lhancelot
01.19.2019 , 09:49 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post

A buggy 6.0 would kill my last hopes that eventually they'll make decorating and my other favorite activities fun again, because right now they are not. I can't decorate for 5 minutes without hitting a bug.
What bugs occur when you decorate? Just curious I didn't know they even made decorating buggy. Seems every facet of the game has regressed. It's sad when simple decorating activities are even effected by bugs.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

PorsaLindahl
01.19.2019 , 10:07 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
What bugs occur when you decorate? Just curious I didn't know they even made decorating buggy. Seems every facet of the game has regressed. It's sad when simple decorating activities are even effected by bugs.
There's one where when you place an item, most notably with a cargo hold of any type (but has happened to me with other items as well), and if you happen to click off and then later want to make adjustments to the placement, you get an error message saying that you cannot interact with items while in customization mode (or something like that) when you click on the tile, and it'll show a random item in the preview pane (like the galactic map holo in place of the legacy storage). Your only alternative is to change the layout, then change it back, and then place the item that you had originally placed back down and adjust from scratch.

TheAresian
01.19.2019 , 12:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by tahol View Post
+1 from me. I have never had any hard feelings for a game dev...and then there's Ben Irving. Him leaving filled my petty heart with joy.
I wish I knew how to do sigs because this would definitely be mine.