Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

keladoruk
02.15.2018 , 08:34 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
They could "grandfather" this game since it predated the exclusivity contract with EA.
Doubt it that would mean maintaining a relationship with EA and by the sounds of thing EA have upset Disney so much they just want to distance themselves from the company so for Disney it would be cleaner just to drop EA and all deals with them.

JennyFlynn
02.15.2018 , 08:35 AM | #22
I don't blame Disney for shopping elsewhere, although I hope we don't lose SWTOR, at least not any time soon. Ideally, Activision or whoever Disney will turn to, can take over or build new stories in this era, or perhaps even continue this game or reboot it.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

keladoruk
02.15.2018 , 08:36 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
I don't blame Disney for shopping elsewhere, although I hope we don't lose SWTOR, at least not any time soon. Ideally, Activision or whoever Disney will turn to, can take over or build new stories in this era, or perhaps even continue this game or reboot it.
The game (code) is owned by Bioware/EA so it would close, and game companies are not really interested in MMO's anymore.

Eshvara
02.15.2018 , 08:40 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by keladoruk View Post
The game (code) is owned by Bioware/EA so it would close, and game companies are not really interested in MMO's anymore.
The unfortunate truth. They could sell it, but I don't think anyone would want this challenge.
#Arcannite
For The Empire

JennyFlynn
02.15.2018 , 08:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by keladoruk View Post
The coding sure, but what of the characters and lore? I'd imagine Disney/LA hold that because it's still Star Wars. I'm not a business person but I'd think that just because Timothy Zahn wrote Thrawn, he doesn't actually own the character or exclusive rights, but maybe that's too simple of an approach.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

keladoruk
02.15.2018 , 09:00 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
The coding sure, but what of the characters and lore? I'd imagine Disney/LA hold that because it's still Star Wars. I'm not a business person but I'd think that just because Timothy Zahn wrote Thrawn, he doesn't actually own the character or exclusive rights, but maybe that's too simple of an approach.
I was replying to the part of your comment about continuing the game or rebooting it with another publisher and not the lore in general, any company could use the lore/story as long as they have the License to do so but like I said no publisher is interested in making MMO's anymore, they make more money from selling a $60 boxed game with season pass DLC and microtranaction's and then dumping it a few years later for a newer game they can sell for $60 with season pass dlc etc they make a killing from the game sales and the microtransaction's are just icing.

PorsaLindahl
02.15.2018 , 09:23 AM | #27
Maybe, just maybe, Uncle Mickey will acquire BW from EA, give EA the boot and keep BW around with some actual corporate support. Wishful thinking, I know.

IoNonSoEVero
02.15.2018 , 09:28 AM | #28
Semantics come into play here IMHO - as others have said, if they are looking to revoke the *exclusive* license it doesn't necessarily mean that the existing games cannot continue. Just that other studios would do future games.

And given that it's Disney we are talking about, IMHO if they wanted to acquire the code to SWTOR and port it all to another studio to continue the game, they absolutely would. Or they'd even find a way to revive or buy out Bioware as a division. It's Disney we're talking about. MOney's not so much of an issue.

One can't blame them for being unhappy when SWTOR is being ignored/apparently given such minimal resources, though, not to mention the Battlefront debacle.

keladoruk
02.15.2018 , 09:36 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Semantics come into play here IMHO - as others have said, if they are looking to revoke the *exclusive* license it doesn't necessarily mean that the existing games cannot continue. Just that other studios would do future games.

And given that it's Disney we are talking about, IMHO if they wanted to acquire the code to SWTOR and port it all to another studio to continue the game, they absolutely would. Or they'd even find a way to revive or buy out Bioware as a division. It's Disney we're talking about. MOney's not so much of an issue.

One can't blame them for being unhappy when SWTOR is being ignored/apparently given such minimal resources, though, not to mention the Battlefront debacle.
I agree with Disney's big pockets they can do anything what Disney will want to be doing now tho is distancing themselves from EA with the new bills being put forward in the US to ban or regulate lootbox system's what Disney wants to avoid is them being seen as a company that supports this type of system that is being called predatory towards children, If Disney drop EA and walk away they can say they did this as they do not approve of a system and they are doing what they can to protect children and their brand if thats the approach they plan to take then swtor would have to go too.

Andryah
02.15.2018 , 09:52 AM | #30
As noted yesterday when this same RUMOR (it said rumor right in the short click-bait article) was being peddled as part of a larger spam-the-forum rage from a now sanctioned forum member...... there is really nothing of substance to this.

1) it self-admits it is complete rumor, does not even try to pretend it has "internal sources" for said rumor, and says just about nothing.

2) The focus of the article is 100% about Battlefront and Battlefront II and states so.

3) It is not a simple matter to terminate an exclusive license early as some of the forum members would like to think. Breach for cause is about the only way to terminate early in an IP contract, unless both parties mutually agree to terminate early. And any instance of breach for cause would also be governed by a series of remedy clauses.... as in.. Disney cannot just wake up one day and decide to terminate. And NO... players being unhappy about a game =/= breach of contract.

4) Sorry OP.. but you fell for internet click-bait rumor and then came here echoed it. All that does is stir up circular firing squad behavior in the forum because people take rumors and prosecute them as fact, and any attempt to get them to look at it more objectively is attacked and denigrated.

Of course anything is possible.... but the probability or likelihood of this rumor = EA looses SW IP licensing is pretty small unless both Disney and EA actually mutually want out of the agreement. And.. even if they did terminate the agreement, it most likely not effect existing published titles, and most especially not SWTOR simply because it was originally negotiated as a stand alone agreement and then likely (though do not know for sure) placed under the 10 year agreement as an umbrella. Note that the original license for SWTOR was believed to be 5 years.. and we are beyond that now.. so clearly Disney and EA want it to continue for some time.

Yeah yeah.. I know... it is anathema to some to try to look at things from a logical and objective perspective, sans drama over every perceived sleight a player feels from a game. I'm still going to continue to comment on rumors like this... because there is no free discussion if only one side (those who hate the game) are allowed to comment about internet click-bait sources (which is what this article is.. the author knew that the way to get some traffic is to issue an unsubstantiated rumor about something about a large gaming studio.... it's the gift that keeps on giving.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.