Are you prepared for 2.0? You still have 2 weeks to roll a sniper/slinger

biowareftw

People will tell you this class is "too hard" to become fotm, and "too awkward" to become flavor of the month or to get nerfed in 2.0, and as someone who had a watchman sent, and scrapper scoundrel? I can tell you they are wrong about a great many things.

This guide is intended to help you become a 35 yard ranged, uninterruptable, unchargeable carnage marauder, combat sent, and or a 35 yard uninterruptable, unchargeable madness sorc, and to do it with the least keys possible.

At first this class may seem daunting by the time you hit 40ish. For people that played warriors in the "stance dance days" of WoW? It is second nature.

The first toolbar is the money toolbar for hotkeys. Why do I say that? Because You have a cover bar and a non cover bar.

If you are pressing a cover button and THEN pressing that instant snipe on another key? You are doing it wrong. Same with your knockback. Same with your single target bomb. Simply drag take cover (the non roll one) to the same button you intend to use when in cover. For instance if the 6 key (6 and onward should all be mapped to mouse buttons, scroll up's down's, since they are hard to reach), is bound to snipe in your cover bar? In the non cover bar make that a take cover button and bind it to left mouse click.

Now? For instant burst on the move? Click the button twice. Now you have a follow through shot ready. Bam bam.

I also like to bind my roll to cover on the knockback (on non cover bar) and put it on something like middle mouse. This is a great tool for escaping atm, and hitting the left mouse key, then middle key, works great, and you now have both covers bound with the least amount of keys.

Gaming equipment. You don't need a Razer Naga. Any logitech g500 will do. The tiltwheel is boss. Control, shift modifers makes it better then a naga (IMO) with easier to reach/hit buttons. Mouse scroll up and down should never be on zoom in/out for pvp. This is a possible 6 easy to reach keybinds with control/shift modifiers. Bind zoom in /out to something like the arrow keys, when you want to zoom in on Risha's behind.

Class story? Both scoundrel/agent probably had the best stories in the game imo. Enjoy it. Both make sense as light and dark side (unlike the BH, which made no sense as lightside).

Vs other snipers (there is going to be a lot of them). Dodge isn't something to be used "whenever". Save this for big hitting shots, channels vs other snipers and for the 1 carnage marauder that the other team brings for group sprint.

The AOE. When stacking snipers and playing a melee heavy team? Stacking, can be fun. Throw this on the ground x 2 or x3, put up entrench and stagger group shields and laugh as the melee kill themselves. On objective games? Use this on the door/cap nodes. Even if you are about to die? An entrench orbital strike saves that cap.

The knockback/flashbang. These can hit at the same time (why I have no idea perhaps the game engine). Use this to your advantage in void star when capping a door. Stun/ legshot the one hero who is the try hard. Sometimes it is better to knockback then bang. Depends on if you are lethality or MM (dat mm root). Also? Remember this aoe CC? Can be used from FAR away. Don't be afraid to use it early to make people pop trinkets (and then watch them get absolutely wrecked), and on the 4-5 people on your huttball carrier. They will be wondering how they just got CC'd, but they don't know that you are a 35 yard range carnage marauder. Simpletons...

Get the high ground. If you aren't? It is the carnage marauders fault for not buffing group sprint. The idiot thought he was leet dps also. Replace him.

How to counter the calls for nerfs. Memorize these statements.

1. "We aren't a free kill anymore". An oldie but a goodie.

2. "Only the best players stayed with this horrible class, which is why we are now OWNING everyone".

3. "Other classes were OP, it was their time, it is our time now, OUR TIME (say it with the passion of Mikey from Goonies *breathes in asthma medicine".

4. "Stealth counters us". Now this is actually true, but are these stealth ranked viable? If someone asks that question, tell him to learn to play, call him a baddie etc.

Anyways. This class was really fun and challenging, about a month ago, before I optimized keybinds etc. Now it is kind of boring. I have no idea why it is getting these buffs, but whatever. In before rage, blah blah. I could care less. Just saying it how it is, and wanted to help those people who may have been roadblocked to also being FOTM, due to keybinds etc.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent Lethality snipers destroy stealthers, so even the stealth counters us statement is only partially true ;)

Yeah I should have added an addendum.

Lead dev plays a lethality sniper. While MM may be stupidly strong at release in the expansion? I expect this will get nerfed first. Get used to playing both trees. Respeccing is free for you subs!

Enjoy.

How's the class winning the game for you going? Skill need not apply.

Oh I am having a great time playing my infiltration shadow atm. Most of these rerolled snipers/slingers are very bad, and they are the easiest kill in the WZ. Nothing to do with the class being bad, it is just they have no idea what is going on half the time.

As far as classes? You can play them all after the first one. Legacy gear, pvp dailies makes this possible. The gear grind isn't bad at all. You don't HAVE to play just one class in this game. This isn't WoW, you can actually play a lot of alts and have a life. Which is why I like this game. :)

Oh I am having a great time playing my infiltration shadow atm. Most of these rerolled snipers/slingers are very bad, and they are the easiest kill in the WZ. Nothing to do with the class being bad, it is just they have no idea what is going on half the time.

As far as classes? You can play them all after the first one. Legacy gear, pvp dailies makes this possible. The gear grind isn't bad at all. You don't HAVE to play just one class in this game. This isn't WoW, you can actually play a lot of alts and have a life. Which is why I like this game. :)

So you have a flavour of the month class for PVP, another to kill the new flavour of the month, and a few others for everything else. Thanks for sharing, I think?

Snipers will never be an effective FOTM--having more than 2 of them are on your team is nearly an automatic loss outside of huttballs. Smash will still be op enough to stack like crazy in pugs.

??? 5 roles are penciled in for rated games.

Op healer, Sorc healer, Jug tank (healer guard), hybrid shadow tank (node guard), carnage marauder (group sprint).

There are a grand total of 3 spots up for grabs and you are saying not to bring more then 2?

L

O

L

??? 5 roles are penciled in for rated games.

Op healer, Sorc healer, Jug tank (healer guard), hybrid shadow tank (node guard), carnage marauder (group sprint).

There are a grand total of 3 spots up for grabs and you are saying not to bring more then 2?

L

O

L

Your correct as the sniper epademic is happening on live right now

As having a sniper since launch (sometimes 2) and just loving the way the class plays, I have to say I am concerned with the buffs incoming. My only hope is that other classes are getting some buffs as well to where it will minimize my beloved sniper becoming FOTM but I doubt that will happen.

At any rate; I am not helping as I rolled a gunslinger so I have the play style on both sides of the fence. All I can hope is with the ups and downs of balance in MMOs is that I will find a way to enjoy the class regardless.

Groups with more than 2 snipers/slingers are seriously gimping themselves. As great as they are, their primary role in every WZ is are denial and not doing the actual objective. I have faced off against teams of snipers in HB to have them lose because they don't play the objective. Having one or two is good enough. But having 2 smashers or another combo is way better.

I have to say, that was very fun to read, because it didnt make any sense. I like your "ranged carnage marauder" term. I play a vengeance jugg as ONE of my mains (im an altoholic), so its a challenge for me to pvp, which is awesome. Bioware, after 2.0 dont buff juggs any longer. We, the minority of veng. juggs, like a challenge. Anyways, nice thread.

WZs already have multiple snipers. Once 2.0 is live, instead of 2 snipers per team, there will probably be 4 snipers per team. I actually see almost as many snipers per WZ as rage spec on live. Sniper literally has almost no counter on the PTS other than maybe 2 classes, one of which is jedi shadow tank specced, which isn't a real counter in WZs, since the reason a tank jedi shadow kills snipers reliably is because of outlasting the sniper, which is assuming that a medic isn't nearby.

BTW, as I've said before, scrapper scoundrel isn't a counter to any class in SWTOR other than maybe medic sages and operatives. So, the "snipers are weak to stealth offense specs" argument doesn't work.

Edited by TheCourier-

Got my Sniper fully augmented in WH about a week before the tree changes were leeked, seen everyone rolling Sniper and now the class is boring.

People rolling FoTM make me facepalm. Choose a class and play it, stop trying to be the best and enjoy the game.

[quote=

BTW, as I've said before, scrapper scoundrel isn't a counter to any class in SWTOR other than maybe medic sages and operatives. So, the "snipers are weak to stealth offense specs" argument doesn't work.

So there not a counter to any class... except all three healing classes and snipers/gs.

So any class turned into four.

I have to say, that was very fun to read, because it didnt make any sense. I like your "ranged carnage marauder" term. I play a vengeance jugg as ONE of my mains (im an altoholic), so its a challenge for me to pvp, which is awesome. Bioware, after 2.0 dont buff juggs any longer. We, the minority of veng. juggs, like a challenge. Anyways, nice thread.

Speak for yourself, as a 1.7 Vengeance, it's about time we get some love.

are snipers really that good after 2.0? hows a carnage marauders dmg compare to a snipers? If sniper do alot more dps I might switch to sniper after I finish my marauders chapter 2. sniper is pretty fun.

It's not all that better in my opinion, people just look down the list of parses for the highest parse then go roll that class to fuel their egos when they get highest numbers.

yawn

So there not a counter to any class... except all three healing classes and snipers/gs.

So any class turned into four.

Scrapper scoundrels aren't counters to snipers on 2.0. Go play a scrapper scoundrel, and you will maybe see how broke scrapper scoundrel is.

are snipers really that good after 2.0? hows a carnage marauders dmg compare to a snipers? If sniper do alot more dps I might switch to sniper after I finish my marauders chapter 2. sniper is pretty fun.

Pve? Sent/maraduers are fine in 2 trees.You can do well with just about any class in pve. Hell mercs rock good dps in pve.

PvP? A MM sniper in 2.0 has much more uptime, hits just as hard, and will be visiting the GY a lot less. Both deal physical damage and both can burst on demand like crazy, both have a big group buff. One is very susceptible to CC and being shut down and loses a ton of damage for utility, and one does not. One has a ranged healing debuff, one does not. One has a stupidly far ranged aoe mes, one does not.

Also LOL at these kids ranting about me being fotm. I betad this class before they had portable cover. :) Then they got cover and it had no global cooldown (that was just awesome), and then they reinstated the global and it became a bit clunky. Still very good (before 2.0).

Newsflash to the dun nerf me brah crowd. When a class gets stupidly OP? Lot's of people are going to roll them. Eventually it will be nerfed. I am helping to expedite that process.

If you don't like it? I don't care. In fact I hope these rerolls are better snipers then you, and most of them probably are. It will make Bioware/EA have second thoughts about these buffs, that much quicker, and maybe we won't have another year of people crying mainly about one class...

Decent Lethality snipers destroy stealthers, so even the stealth counters us statement is only partially true ;)

Yep. Pretty much. People always say a Sniper can never win against stealth. Well. I must fight totally garbage stealthers (doubt it) cause I have absolutely no problems against them. Maybe they are a problem for MM/Leathality. But playing as Engineering, I outlast their burst.

Anyways. Yes. Sniper is not as hard to play as a lot of people make it out to be, especially MM and Lethality. Engineering took a bit to get used to, but still isnt that difficult. I forsee a lot of people rerolling to Sniper/Gunslinger. We were strong before 2.0. We are only getting stronger in 2.0. Im not afraid to say it. Every class gets its OP/FOTM time. 2.0 may well be Snipers/Gunslingers time. People say nobody will roll them because they are turret classes. Well. That roll gave us a lot of mobility. That argument no longer applies either.