R.I.P Darkhorse Star Wars...

Wolfninjajedi

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50069

So...sadly, Darkhorse comics is losing Star Wars comics come 2015, it shall be going to Marvel comics. So between now and next year, let us hope that Darkhorse can pump out some good Star Wars comics before their time is up.

Already they are coming out with a new Darth Vader comic come Janurary 8th, so that's good that they are starting early. So hopefully we shall have some good Darkhorse Star Wars comics throughout the year.

Now I'm not saying Marvel comics are gonna do bad with Star Wars....it's just. Darkhorse has been working on Star Wars comics for a long time, I feel like they know what they are doing with it and know how to tell great stories.

Marvel as of now...as I look around, have been...'ok' to me. I'll wait to see what they do with Star Wars, I just hope they won't mess things up. They better not screw the characters over either, that's the biggest worry of mine.

I just hope they don't....Marverlise it and keep the feel of Star Wars in. Of course Marvel did do Star Wars comics before...but they were....."ehhhh", though it was back in the 70's. So I hope that phase has passed on and they are gonna write better.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Shouldn't you wait to be disappointed until after seeing the new comics? I mean, you did know this was coming, right?

Its pretty much a question of a company that has been doing it successfully for years is now going to no longer have the rights to do so and another company that hasn't touched it in over 30 years is being given it with no prediction of how its going to turn out.

Wolf (as far as I understand) is just saying he would have preferred it if Disney just left it in the hands of those who we KNOW can get the job done thanks to their incredibly impressive track record over the last 30 years.

Its pretty much a question of a company that has been doing it successfully for years is now going to no longer have the rights to do so and another company that hasn't touched it in over 30 years is being given it with no prediction of how its going to turn out.

Wolf (as far as I understand) is just saying he would have preferred it if Disney just left it in the hands of those who we KNOW can get the job done thanks to their incredibly impressive track record over the last 30 years.

Yes exactly.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Hardly surprising that they are letting Marvel do it, considering they own Marvel Comics. While I haven't read any SW comics, ever, I'd wait and see before getting worried.

Oh, I thought it was going from Dark Horse to Marvel...or did you get your numbers wrong? (Marvel was doing the original Star Wars series 30 years ago, not Dark Horse). And Marvel is a household name, I had to google 'Dark Horse', so I'm not sure that it's safe or honest to say that "we KNOW" DH "can get the job done" instead, unless you what you meant by 'we' was you and the OP, and not anybody else.

Anyway, I liked the original Marvel Star Wars comics, but I was a kid when I read them, and I have a pretty low opinion of Star Wars (and most tv/movie-based) literature in general, so not really a big deal to me either way. I have a pretty low opinion of Disney and Marvel also, I just thought the OP could have used some actual concrete examples of why he did or did not think this was a good thing.

Oh, I thought it was going from Dark Horse to Marvel...or did you get your numbers wrong? (Marvel was doing the original Star Wars series 30 years ago, not Dark Horse). And Marvel is a household name, I had to google 'Dark Horse', so I'm not sure that it's safe or honest to say that "we KNOW" DH "can get the job done" instead, unless you what you meant by 'we' was you and the OP, and not anybody else.

Anyway, I liked the original Marvel Star Wars comics, but I was a kid when I read them, and I have a pretty low opinion of Star Wars (and most tv/movie-based) literature in general, so not really a big deal to me either way. I have a pretty low opinion of Disney and Marvel also, I just thought the OP could have used some actual concrete examples of why he did or did not think this was a good thing.

Marvel did the original comics back in the 70's but Dark Horse has been doing them since the late 80's. Dark horse has had VASTLY more experience in handling the Star Wars comics then Marvel has. If you have bought a Star Wars Comic in the last nearly 30 years (its actually something like 28 years or something) it has been from Dark Horse, so by WE I mean any one who has enjoyed a Star Wars comic from the Late 80's-early 90's all the way into the present date Hundreds upon hundreds of Comics spread through out the entire continuity.

Marvel last I check has done maybe 5, 6 Star wars comics and they were based on the original movie scripts not alternate original stories like Dark Horse has been doing. Wolf can correct any of the information I have gotten wrong he knows more about the comics then I do, I only have about 20 issues.

Edit: what you miss read is Marvel has not touched Star wars in Nearly 30 years and the ones that have been doing it for that entire time has been Dark Horse. so no my numbers aren't really off.

Edit: whoops little off 1990 so the last 24 years has been Darkhorse star wars. So.... Darkhorse 800 comics over the last 24 years vs Marvel 100 issues over 9 years. That clearly makes Darkhorse the experienced ones in this arena.

Edited by tunewalker

You most certainly called that one Wolf, I've never really touched on Star Wars comics so I can't comment much. But Star Wars lore is Star Wars lore so lets hope they did it well. One good thing is that we can ensure a more singular direction for Star Wars with less continuity clashes and differing perspectives. Which is always a good thing.

Its just an opinion pal, clearly you are not 'in the know' so perhaps its best you keep your distance.

Oh, I thought it was going from Dark Horse to Marvel...or did you get your numbers wrong? (Marvel was doing the original Star Wars series 30 years ago, not Dark Horse).

That's... exactly what he said: 30 years ago Marvel lost the license to Star Wars (and therefore "hasn't touched it in over 30 years") and Dark Horse has been doing a great job with it ever since then (i.e. "over the last 30 years"). Not sure what you think he's getting mixed up there.

I had to google 'Dark Horse', so I'm not sure that it's safe or honest to say that "we KNOW" DH "can get the job done" instead, unless you what you meant by 'we' was you and the OP, and not anybody else.

He's speaking for a lot more than two people, Dark Horse is the third biggest comic company in America (granted the margin is HUGE between it and the big two) and Star Wars is one of their biggest titles. Dark Horse has put out dozens of Star Wars mini- and macro- series over the past decades, and their comics are a massive part of the Expanded Universe, second only to the novels put out by Bantam/DelRay. Look around these forums, especially the "Star Wars" and "Story and Lore" forums, and you'll see frequent discussions of Dark Horse's characters and storylines.

On the overall thread topic:

Marvel added a lot of good stuff to the Star Wars mythos - Luminya, the Nagai, the Zeltrons, Fenn Shysa, and the world of comics in general has changed a lot since they lost the license, so I genuinely believe they'll do a good job with the property going forward (and if we see Jaxxon or Plif again it'll be appropriately tongue-in-cheek).

But it really is sad to see Dark Horse going, Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic are some of my all-time favorite Star Wars fiction, and as love-it-or-hate-it as Dark Empire and Tales of the Jedi are, I'm still a fan of them as well.

Cheers Dark Horse, and thanks for the stories. You had a great run!

Marvel did the original comics back in the 70's but Dark Horse has been doing them since the late 80's. Dark horse has had VASTLY more experience in handling the Star Wars comics then Marvel has. If you have bought a Star Wars Comic in the last nearly 30 years (its actually something like 28 years or something) it has been from Dark Horse, so by WE I mean any one who has enjoyed a Star Wars comic from the Late 80's-early 90's all the way into the present date Hundreds upon hundreds of Comics spread through out the entire continuity.

Marvel last I check has done maybe 5, 6 Star wars comics and they were based on the original movie scripts not alternate original stories like Dark Horse has been doing. Wolf can correct any of the information I have gotten wrong he knows more about the comics then I do, I only have about 20 issues.

Edit: what you miss read is Marvel has not touched Star wars in Nearly 30 years and the ones that have been doing it for that entire time has been Dark Horse. so no my numbers aren't really off.

Lol, I googled, and I didn't misread, you mistyped, own up to your mistake and move on. You said Marvel hasn't touched it in over 30 years...the last issue was 1986, which is less than 30 years ago. If you'd like to correct your number statement to "almost 30", that's ok, but don't say that *I* misread what *you* typed. Also, per an easy google search, DH started doing SW comics in 1991, which is not the "late '80s", and I usually irritate people when I tell them that I consider 1990 to be part of the '80s. (Ofc, these people all liked listening to Also Sprague Zarathustra "usher in the millenium" in 2000, so I heavily discount their opinions on math, but I digress).

Also, Marvel did the first three movie adaptations and just over 100 issues in it's almost 10 year-run, so a few more than "5 or 6 based off of the original scripts."

Anyway, as I said, I'm not a comic fan, so my knowledge of comic publishers is pretty much limited to Marvel and DC. I have no way of knowing what quality or experience DH has in the industry, or why DH wasn't able to keep its license. Those would be interesting things to read, but unfortunately, all I got was a link and some softly muffled crying.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not a comic fan, so my knowledge of comic publishers is pretty much limited to Marvel and DC. I have no way of knowing what quality or experience DH has in the industry, or why DH wasn't able to keep its license. Those would be interesting things to read, but unfortunately, all I got was a link and some softly muffled crying.
That's nice, but unfortunately this is a fan-based discussion forum not a news site, leave the guy alone and complain about people's threads elsewhere. Jeez, some people are so entitled...

That's... exactly what he said: 30 years ago Marvel lost the license to Star Wars (and therefore "hasn't touched it in over 30 years") and Dark Horse has been doing a great job with it ever since then (i.e. "over the last 30 years"). Not sure what you think he's getting mixed up there.

Marvel's last issue was March, 1986. It is now January, 2014. That's a little less than 28 years ago. "A little less than 28" is not "over 30". The quote I was referencing stated that Marvel hasn't touched it for over 30 years. The math was wrong, I called the poster on it. Quit digging the hole deeper.

Also, DH started doing Star Wars comics in 1991, which (as stated in the article linked by the OP) was over *20* years ago, not over *30* years ago.

Marvel's last issue was March, 1986. It is now January, 2014. That's a little less than 28 years ago. "A little less than 28" is not "over 30". The quote I was referencing stated that Marvel hasn't touched it for over 30 years. The math was wrong, I called the poster on it. Quit digging the hole deeper.

Also, DH started doing Star Wars comics in 1991, which (as stated in the article linked by the OP) was over *20* years ago, not over *30* years ago.

You might want to check his edit:
Edit: whoops little off 1990 so the last 24 years has been Darkhorse star wars. So.... Darkhorse 800 comics over the last 24 years vs Marvel 100 issues over 9 years. That clearly makes Darkhorse the experienced ones in this arena.
No need to get riled over a small mistake.

Lol, I googled, and I didn't misread, you mistyped, own up to your mistake and move on. You said Marvel hasn't touched it in over 30 years...the last issue was 1986, which is less than 30 years ago. If you'd like to correct your number statement to "almost 30", that's ok, but don't say that *I* misread what *you* typed. Also, per an easy google search, DH started doing SW comics in 1991, which is not the "late '80s", and I usually irritate people when I tell them that I consider 1990 to be part of the '80s. (Ofc, these people all liked listening to Also Sprague Zarathustra "usher in the millenium" in 2000, so I heavily discount their opinions on math, but I digress).

Also, Marvel did the first three movie adaptations and just over 100 issues in it's almost 10 year-run, so a few more than "5 or 6 based off of the original scripts."

make mistakes like everyone I am human imagine that check my edits my bad :o

Jeez folks, all I was saying it is sad to see Darkhorse not having Star Wars anymore by 2015. I'm remaining optomistic as I said, it's just rather a big change is all, because Darkhorse has done well with Star Wars over the years. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

No prob, I could have probably been less combative about it. Forgot I was still specced for the PVP Forums. :(

Don't worry people get just as combative here :D you should see some of the debates we get into. Honestly its often good to question had you not questioned it I would not have sat back done the math and realized I exagurated the numbers and such so hey every one learns that way its a good thing.

Yeah, just read the press release which essentially amounts to, "Dark Horse did very well with the license, publishing many successful series over the past 20 years, but we are giving it to Marvel because they did a single series back in the 80's of which only the first issue sold well".

I just hope Dark Horse is able to finish the Dark Times, Dawn of the Jedi & Legacy II (Anya Solo) series, as I am really enjoying those. Not sure what will become of series like Invasion & Lost Tribe as the last issues of those, while not cliffhangers, were pretty open ended.

I wonder if Marvel will retcon Mara Jade like they did Mary Jane.

Edited by Ernost
changes