1.1 delay... impact on progression guilds

Right, you just explained WHY they shouldn't focus on catering to the 1% of the "hardcore." Many people sub for 1 or 2 months and leave, agreed. So maybe if they cater to them, instead of the 1% of the population that resubscribes consistently, they'll sub for months to come! Fact is, the uber hardcore progression raider is a sheep. They will consistently flock to the most juicy content and pay their subscription. Evidence: see every so called hardcore MMO released in the past 15 years.

/thread

Regards,

KK

This might be the most self-important post I have ever seen on the forums. Congratulations.

Regards,

KK

I don't know about anyone else, but you kind of are coming off like a jerk yourself, as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm not affiliated with NA at all, but his post was well thought out and honest. There is nothing wrong with scheduling maintenance windows on a regular basis, so people can schedule their gaming around it. I work long days, I try to squeeze gaming in where time permits (taking care of the family and such taking the priority) - its kind of frustrating to just be blindsided by a surprise patch in the middle of the day that should have just been done in the maintenance window, or delayed till the next one. This isnt a beta anymore, people pay for their gametime.

The second thing I took from that post was the new raid expansion on the hutt palace being completely untested due to their lack of allowing meaningful end-game participation on the PTR, along with the lack of bug fixes to existing raids (and hardmode encounters for flashpoints).

For a game that costed this much money and is now live, some of these bug fixes are mind-boggling. Random death for standing there, random death when a speeder lands, VoE console puzzle having to be done in a very specific order or the entire instance bugs out completely and has to be reset.... marauder bleed bugging out duel of fates, and I wont even go into the soa hardmode bugs. Just read some of the other threads on this stuff it isnt hard info to find.

It just boggles my mind that you think the endgame doesn't matter. There doesn't have to be a neverending plethora the first few months into the game, but it should certainly work right and be a priority. Even if you don't raid, there are enough bugs in just the hard mode flashpoint instances to justify everything he said in his post. It needs testing on the PTR. Period.

This might be the most self-important post I have ever seen on the forums. Congratulations.

Regards,

KK

I don't particularly agree to all of what the OP is saying, but you're coming across just as self important (and a jerk).

I play the game casually, so raiding is a side adventure, but I strongly agree to better testing. Dying just by standing there is funny once or twice, not so much when you have to go through silly loops to finish instances.

It just boggles my mind that you think the endgame doesn't matter. There doesn't have to be a neverending plethora the first few months into the game, but it should certainly work right and be a priority. Even if you don't raid, there are enough bugs in just the hard mode flashpoint instances to justify everything he said in his post. It needs testing on the PTR. Period.

Literacy is something forum posters really need to work on. Re-read my posts. I never said nor insinuated that end game doesn't matter. I did say that the % of the revenue stream that it provides will be reflected in the attention that it will get. Period.

And if you want me to come off as more of a jerk, I can attempt to be more inflammatory.

Regards,

KK

While I understand that some might feel "why not just shut up and raid over the weekend if you care this much about progression" I hope those people try to see why this is an issue. Running a high end raiding guild is a lot of work, and adhering to a schedule is something that is needed for stability. Bioware/EA changing the rules and releasing content patches whenever they feel really needs to be re-thinked... if they care about the end game raiding community at all.

If you're really worried about strong competitive progression, then yes you will raid whenever you need to. On the other hand, if you're not in any progression races (and who is right now? Does anyone even track this stuff yet?) then why does it matter when the patch drops? Just raid whenever the next scheduled raid is.

Honestly the high-end raiding community in MMO's is never happy anyway. Coming from server-first raiding guilds in both EQ and WoW, I can say that the guild chat in these sorts of guilds is really just a never-ending pile of:

"There's too many bosses"

"There's not enough bosses"

"Attunements and keys suck, get rid of them"

"Casuals are getting into my raids now, why aren't there keys or attunements?"

"Gating sucks"

"Why wasn't this gated"

"Trash is boring"

"Why didn't this place have trash"

"RNG drops suck, make it easier"

"Casuals are getting loot, make it harder"

Eventually I think developers learn that they're not going to make everyone happy and they just have to do their best to release the best product they can.

I should imagine a lot of people will quote you on that ^^ it pretty much sums it up.

Everyone who runs operations wanted the patch today, and if you are dead serious about progresison then you will do whatever it takes.

However this isn't WoW - we don't have wowprogress, achievements or armory and the content is so buggy your really fighting bugs more than bosses most of the time. I don't see how you can hope to compare with other guilds anyway.

I couldn't agree more!!!

If you're really worried about strong competitive progression, then yes you will raid whenever you need to. On the other hand, if you're not in any progression races (and who is right now? Does anyone even track this stuff yet?) then why does it matter when the patch drops? Just raid whenever the next scheduled raid is.

Honestly the high-end raiding community in MMO's is never happy anyway. Coming from server-first raiding guilds in both EQ and WoW, I can say that the guild chat in these sorts of guilds is really just a never-ending pile of:

"There's too many bosses"

"There's not enough bosses"

"Attunements and keys suck, get rid of them"

"Casuals are getting into my raids now, why aren't there keys or attunements?"

"Gating sucks"

"Why wasn't this gated"

"Trash is boring"

"Why didn't this place have trash"

"RNG drops suck, make it easier"

"Casuals are getting loot, make it harder"

Eventually I think developers learn that they're not going to make everyone happy and they just have to do their best to release the best product they can.

wow .. took the words right outta my mouth

Based on the OP's post, and no offense you game the way you game, I just tend to think it's a waste of MMORPG developer's talents, I have found the reason for why MMO's in the last 7 years have been sucking. FAR too much development and focus on the endgame gear treadmill for the small percentage of people who only play these games for the "challenge" or "world first" of raids.

I personally don't mind them being in a game, just mind them being the sole focus as they are often of late. So the patch is delayed a day, woopdie doo, if the operation is all you care about in the patch...I have to wonder..why play MMO's at all.

Right, you just explained WHY they shouldn't focus on catering to the 1% of the "hardcore." Many people sub for 1 or 2 months and leave, agreed. So maybe if they cater to them, instead of the 1% of the population that resubscribes consistently, they'll sub for months to come! Fact is, the uber hardcore progression raider is a sheep. They will consistently flock to the most juicy content and pay their subscription. Evidence: see every so called hardcore MMO released in the past 15 years.

I started to type out a long winded response stating my opinion differently, then realized that more than anything, nothing you nor I say is a fact, it's all just our opinions or generalizations that aren't going to be true in even most situations, just some.

What it comes down to, is that they can make the hardcore progression guilds happy by keeping patches to a fixed schedule of say, always being on a Tuesday, and still provide everyone else with what they want, IE bug fixes. It's not one or the other.

Quality > Quantity.

Right now, they need to polish the game, not add more problem to it. A minority of players are at the door of Kaon, the majority is still leveling or trying to make a guild able to do Ops.

I understand the OP frustration, but right now, adding more content for you to destroy will only lead you to want more content to destroy. For the rest of us, it is something to look forward in a couple of months.

And yes I say destroy because the first to kill things are the first to complain about the lack of content or how easy everything is. Plug in your old Nintendo and beat ghost'n goblins if you want hard content, for me, Ghost'n Goblins is a game I will never go back to because I don't enjoy very hard game.

Weekly maintenance / patches mean nothing if they're constantly delayed and pushed back to a new random date.

I do not understand this at all. Bug fixes and maintenance mean nothing if they are delayed?

I think your post is a well-worded whine that patch delays are inconvenient for you and BioWare should listen to said whine because you think you are important (more important?) than the masses, and you don't like being inconvenienced.

Clearly, BioWare disagrees.