Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wondering about Operative utility in PvP and PvE

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Wondering about Operative utility in PvP and PvE

para_cosm
07.18.2014 , 12:27 PM | #1
Hello! I'm a pretty experienced player having played all classes save op/scoundrel to at least 25-30, but am a bit perplexed by the Operative. I've tried rolling one and I'm about 13 at the moment, but I can't find any kind of sensical order to use my skills in, and I die near-instantly in PvP. Most other classes I can pull top DPS and objectives in almost every game I play, but Operative's melee/ranged hybrid skills really confuse me. I know they have amazing potential because I've been destroyed by so many in 1v1 and it seems ilke they can just keep you stunned forever, but I'm wondering what an early level rotation looks like? My main is a PT Shield Tech if that helps at all. Thanks for any input people could offer.

LloydTwoscoops
07.18.2014 , 01:40 PM | #2
The reason you'll be dying is because you're 13 :P Around level 22 the operativr becomes a lot better in pvp and then again at 36 (Hidden Blade opener) you'll really notice your DPS shoot up. Operatives are of course a hit and run type class if they're specced into dps. If you're heals you should be able to outheal most 1-3v1 situations
Twoscoops Legacy --- The Red Eclipse
Main --- Rythoria (Operative)

Liquor
07.19.2014 , 02:23 AM | #3
We are good at defense and taking off nodes.

Remember an interrupt is more important than a kill. Don't face tank. Time your attacks and CC to prevent captures. Give your team time to adjust and help you.

LloydTwoscoops
07.19.2014 , 06:21 AM | #4
The massive gift of the operative/assassin is that they get to assess the battle and choose the best target for maximum effect. My order of targets always goes: Any heals - Sorc - Marauder - Merc - Op - Assassin - Sniper - Others. The targets in that order usually go from most susceptible to op attacks to the avoid unless urgent targets (Meaning don't touch unless theyre capping an objective or they're the ball carrier etc)

ThirdDementor
07.28.2014 , 06:51 AM | #5
As someone new to the Concealment Operative as well, I can attest to their strength in PvP. Besides what the others said, your rotation at this point is pretty much limited to Backstab, Shiv, and then you spam Overload Shot until Backstab and/or Shiv are off cooldown. If the target has a lot of HP and your team isn't around to help kill it quickly, applying an early Corrosive Dart is ideal.

Once you hit level 20, you get Laceration. That's when the fun starts and your rotation gets a lot more dynamic. Laceration is another stabby-stabby move, which requires Tactical Advantage to trigger. You gain Tactical Advantage from killing someone, using Shiv, or using Hidden Strike (which you get at level 36). From my (admittedly limited) experience, the Concealment Operative is also one of the strongest 1v1 duelists due to their sheer burst and multiple stuns. But please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

LloydTwoscoops
07.28.2014 , 07:01 AM | #6
Yep, part of an easy victory in 1v1 is using Cloaking Screen after your first rotation, reapplying Acid Blade then popping back onto them with Hidden Strike and the rotation all over again, works like a dream.

SkyLordJaden
08.14.2014 , 08:48 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by para_cosm View Post
Hello! I'm a pretty experienced player having played all classes save op/scoundrel to at least 25-30, but am a bit perplexed by the Operative. I've tried rolling one and I'm about 13 at the moment, but I can't find any kind of sensical order to use my skills in, and I die near-instantly in PvP. Most other classes I can pull top DPS and objectives in almost every game I play, but Operative's melee/ranged hybrid skills really confuse me. I know they have amazing potential because I've been destroyed by so many in 1v1 and it seems ilke they can just keep you stunned forever, but I'm wondering what an early level rotation looks like? My main is a PT Shield Tech if that helps at all. Thanks for any input people could offer.
In pvp a concealment operative is an annoyance class. They are there to go behind enemy lines, kill someone, and move on. I also try to help alleviate pressure in areas. Walking up to their turret in in no are coast, for example, when you control south and east but your team is getting seriously destroyed is a good idea. Don't come out guns blazing yet. Rather find the guard and sneak up on him and sleep dart him. He will call for reinforcements and 1-3 people will come. From there just try not to die and south will be able to regain their position. This tactic can apply in many different situations and it should fuel your imagination for other tactics. Operatives will be more of the silent heroes unfortunately so you don't get too many votes unless you tunnel vision dps.