Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sage or Shadow for Solo Leveling?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sage or Shadow for Solo Leveling?

Ikutai
01.30.2012 , 02:28 AM | #11
I have played both into the 40's (thought I did go with assassin which is the empire version of shadow so I could see the story).

Both are just fine for leveling solo or otherwise. I leveled my sage as a healer and assassin (shadow) as tank. They both seemed to level at about the same speed and with both I used a dps companion once one was avaliable.

As a shadow, stealth is a huge boon though. You can stealth past things you do not care about. This can be detrimental to a point as you do miss the exp from the things you would otherwise have to kill. This was mostly a non issue for me.

So, I would say it is totally up to your play style. Do you want to range dps/heal or melee/tank.

SandsOfArrakis
01.30.2012 , 04:15 AM | #12
Well I can only speak as a Sage. Since I prefer to play a ranged character. Apart from my Jedi Guardian that is

My Sage is a healer, cause that's what I love to do. For solo it's a lovely class as well. I always use Theran to heal me so I can kill stuff. Just have to keep Force Armor (Shield) up and the occasional Rejuvenate (Heal over Time spell). Not much I can't do it seems. I don't feel weak at all. I find it easier to play with than my Guardian.

But the choice is yours. Seems Shadow might fit you better, since you've noted that you normally play melee classes. Shadow does just that

Have fun
Ghanima Atreides (Sage) ~ Jeanne'd'Arc (Guardian) ~ Sihaya (Scoundrel) ~ Elysaine (Sentinel)
Rhiannon (Sorcerer) ~ Samus Aran (Merc) ~ Irulan (Mara) ~ Aurora (Operative)
The Corrino Legacy Server: The Red Eclipse

StarDaimyo
01.30.2012 , 04:55 AM | #13
I have soloed my way to 33 by now as a Jedi Shadow, and stealth is a huge plus. I have very little game time so while I always do all quests, I also try to avoid clearing too much trash to get the most out of my ingame time.

You'd think I'd be underlevelled since I stealth and avoid combat, but it is the other way around.

I just skipped the entire Alderaan planet (except the story quest line) to get back in touch with my level as I was 4 levels higher than my quests. (Will have to play Alderaan on a an alt sometime)

This game has so many quests that if you like the space missions, which I do, or the Heroics, which I have not needed so far, you will be levelling without problems whatsoever.

I even make a point of NOT logging out in rest zones to avoid bonus xp in order to stay in my level range more or less.

Love my Shadow, love this game, but am sure you could level just as easily as a Sage.

(Oh, love the companion system too - see? I am a totaly fanboy)

CarpLTunnel
01.30.2012 , 09:18 AM | #14
Coming from a Sentinel I decided to go Sage. I am liking it so far. My only issue is the lizard follower is slow to react and cant find weapons for him. The range attacks of the sage are nice since I came fro ma melee intensive class it made for a nice change.

eldelphia
01.30.2012 , 09:50 AM | #15
From what you've said I'd go Shadow. I love Sage and my lizard but it sounds like you'd enjoy Shadow more. I think any class is soloable in this game and that's one of the great things about it.
Mexi [Sage] ~ Ari'th [Scoundrel] ~ Eldy [Commando]
Formerly ICE Breaker now Corellian Run - Drunken Jedi Masters

Perfectcircle
01.30.2012 , 09:52 AM | #16
Sage DPS is the the most OP class in the game.

/EasyModeActivated

rgizzie
01.31.2012 , 09:45 AM | #17
Lvl 50 infiltration shadow here. My favorite thing is when I am riding around on my mount and then I see a imp player I just her my stealth button and I automatically jump off my mount and myself and companion go into stealth. I have taken down so many imps that way I can't even count. Best fun of the game imo.

meancraig
01.31.2012 , 01:03 PM | #18
LVL 50 Sage, healing specced the entire time. I had no trouble with any of the PVE at all. I had a bit of trouble with a couple of the bosses in the class storyline, but in those two cases, I grouped with guildies.
EVELLIN, Guild Leader of Siege Soldiers
A Republic Guild on Jedi Covenant

Wildcat
01.31.2012 , 01:37 PM | #19
My first 50 is a Sage. I started having difficulty soloing class quests after level 40. The Shadow seems to be a LOT easier in PVE due to their superior defenses.
Wildcat: 50 Sage, Wildkat: 50 Shadow, J'ackk: 45 Scoundrel, Thrashh: 39 Mercenary

KilmarFyrewynd
01.31.2012 , 02:00 PM | #20
Level 50 Shadow here. Let me tell you two "short" stories.

I am obsessed with getting all the datacrons and have gotten every single one on the planet I visit. There I am, on Nar Shaddaa, where the datacron is in a high level area (level 36) and I was level 25. I was adamant about getting the datacron before I left the planet, so I slooooooooowly snuck in cloaked while shaking in my proverbial booties getting to the datacron. The sense of achievement and adrenaline rush was awesome.

So I hit level 50 near the beginning or Corellia, when I realized there is really no need to do the bonus kill X number of enemies then collect Y items then kill boss Z. So, I finished the last 15 (!) remaining quests in the planet faster than you can recite the Gettysburg Address. i cloaked to the target (usually a switch), mez the mob guarding it, hit the switch, force cloak out. Done. Or, I cloak through 40 trash mobs, kill boss. Done.

We are fairly limited to companions if you want little downtime (Tharan or C2-N2), but other than that, we're a pretty fun AC.