Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Smash now requires a primary target to activate.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Smash now requires a primary target to activate.

undiess's Avatar


undiess
05.20.2014 , 10:20 AM | #31
I am so glad that there is a target required. I never miss now. I used to hate getting knockbacked and miss as I was activing it.

Specjal's Avatar


Specjal
07.08.2014 , 03:13 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Silko View Post
The reason BW did this change is....
Like many, many other changes - too many frustrated players were crying about something on pvp, so BW did the change to make their pathetic lifes easier...

Your powertech died because of saber reflect? Your operative died because smash affected you in stealth?
STOP crying about it on forum, learn how to play and try to become smarter!

Repair smash. It has became useless because of this change. :/

Vid-szhite's Avatar


Vid-szhite
07.08.2014 , 05:42 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Specjal View Post
Like many, many other changes - too many frustrated players were crying about something on pvp, so BW did the change to make their pathetic lifes easier...

Your powertech died because of saber reflect? Your operative died because smash affected you in stealth?
STOP crying about it on forum, learn how to play and try to become smarter!

Repair smash. It has became useless because of this change. :/
That is literally the opposite of what has happened. Since the change, I don't think I've once, ever, seen a point at which I would rather have old smash back because the target requirement was ruining my day. I've been playing since beta and I can count on one hand the number of times between then and the change that I had ever revealed a stealther with smash. In fact, I think it's impossible if they used a stealth cooldown, because I've BEEN hit with abilities after hitting a stealth cooldown on other characters, and I stay in stealth unless it was more than 5 seconds after using it (I'm usually long gone by then).

On the other hand, the number of times since the change I went "oh thank GOD I can't smash without a target anymore" comes up several times a day. Knockbacks used to cause you to waste smash completely, as did people dying in the middle of you pushing the button. Now, neither of these things cause you to waste a smash. I refuse to call it a nerf anymore because I and many others agree, it wasn't a nerf. It feels more like a buff.

How is smash useless now? Explain it to me.
Jedi Covenant
Wrector - 55 Sith Juggernaut // Reaper-seven - 55 Operative
╔ikko - 55 Powertech // Palpi - 40 Sith Sorcerer

Specjal's Avatar


Specjal
07.15.2014 , 06:47 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
Knockbacks used to cause you to waste smash completely...
are the way for sorc, trooper or anyone that can push you to defend themselves from being smashed.


Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
How is smash useless now? Explain it to me.
E.G. - I am fighting one target, starting ravage and switching target to another one as a preparation to jump. After ravage has ended I want to use smash and immediately jump to a player I targeted earlier. Wait, what? I can't use smash on previous target anymore.

And how a smash can be wasted if it is free?

On the other hand - why an Intimidating roar don't need a target? Huh? Same with Lacerate on assassin. What about Flame Thrower or Flame Sweep on powertech?

I don't buy it.

Koynov's Avatar


Koynov
07.15.2014 , 07:13 AM | #35
Guys i think you need to L2P, Smash is not weaker then before at any point on one target. I still hit 10-12K on light armor enemies. Smash in old variant was FOTM and just op at any level. It was too easy to deliever too much damage in under 1 sec on all team. That was very stupid and noobish, now you need to think a little more
Best mara on TOFN is rage, i am switching between carnage and rage, till now rage is the best at least for arena.

Korshoon's Avatar


Korshoon
07.16.2014 , 02:02 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Vid-szhite View Post
That is literally the opposite of what has happened. Since the change, I don't think I've once, ever, seen a point at which I would rather have old smash back because the target requirement was ruining my day. I've been playing since beta and I can count on one hand the number of times between then and the change that I had ever revealed a stealther with smash. In fact, I think it's impossible if they used a stealth cooldown, because I've BEEN hit with abilities after hitting a stealth cooldown on other characters, and I stay in stealth unless it was more than 5 seconds after using it (I'm usually long gone by then).

On the other hand, the number of times since the change I went "oh thank GOD I can't smash without a target anymore" comes up several times a day. Knockbacks used to cause you to waste smash completely, as did people dying in the middle of you pushing the button. Now, neither of these things cause you to waste a smash. I refuse to call it a nerf anymore because I and many others agree, it wasn't a nerf. It feels more like a buff.

How is smash useless now? Explain it to me.

In Some areas you are right. The smash cannot be wasted. But, the one purpose for smash was to aoe damage and grab aggro and try to hold it. I have bee playing a jug since I first started the game. I have found some of the things useful and not useful.

People have complained heavily about the jug and it's aoe abilities. What a lot of pvp players don't understand is that it affects the PVE world also. So the tanks lose the ability to do their job effectively.

Now, Sweeping slash needs a target also. So we have lost that ability to spam it to grab aggro.

chillshock's Avatar


chillshock
07.17.2014 , 12:08 AM | #37
It still works... but yeah... it's lacking. And when switching between classes, it is totally absurd not to be able to trigger the 360░ attack just because you have no target.

Target-Requirement should be removed, imho.

Specjal's Avatar


Specjal
08.04.2014 , 04:41 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Korshoon View Post
People have complained heavily about the jug and it's aoe abilities. What a lot of pvp players don't understand is that it affects the PVE world also. So the tanks lose the ability to do their job effectively.
There were too many changes in this game caused by crying people who rather want to spam on forum how hard is to learn to play for them. And there will be more changes in the future. Because people are to lazy to start to think a bit, they just want to make a game easier and smash is a grat example.
A bunch of noobs can't use smash properly and they are wasting it away from target - yeah, better cry about it on forum than learn how to use it to maximise their dps... Pathetic.

rawtravel's Avatar


rawtravel
08.14.2014 , 02:41 PM | #39
My Jugg tank has no trouble keeping aggro, and I use Smash whenever it's up (nice debuffs on enemies!). Granted I only play PVE, so I surely do not get how much this ability has changed. In fact, I did not even KNOW it had changed until today. LOL. Must be because in taking PVE stuff, I pretty much always have a target and my target is pretty much always right next to me, or I jump to it and then it's next to me>Smash!

Target center of biggest group.. Jump>Smash>Crushing Blow, then tab to ranged target>Sabre Throw, Tab>Force Scream. That is usually enough to aggro most of the Champs/Gold/Elites, along with anything close to me, and what I haven't aggroed in that time should be dead, or will be in seconds, if DPS is following kill order.

Watch, now I will be conscious of needing a target to Smash and my game will go to hell! LMAO.

OniGanon's Avatar


OniGanon
08.15.2014 , 09:37 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Specjal View Post
E.G. - I am fighting one target, starting ravage and switching target to another one as a preparation to jump. After ravage has ended I want to use smash and immediately jump to a player I targeted earlier. Wait, what? I can't use smash on previous target anymore.
So change target after the Smash and before the Leap. You have 1.5 seconds of global cooldown after the Smash. Plenty of time.