Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the point of Watchman?

HanSollo
10.15.2017 , 05:19 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
I am not sure but I saw enemy wasting stuns on me a lot of times in ranked after the match was on for a while.

Does anni build up some cc immunity after a while that I don't know of ? I wanted to open a thread about it to ask how does it happen.

I agree with the carnage part. It's hard to make 3 hits without being stunned or thrown around.
Only resolve as far as i know right now Zealous ward is my life blood with out it i would be near useless in PvP

Trogusaurus
10.15.2017 , 10:20 PM | #72
Nope, Sentinels completely lack any baseline CC immunity while attacking. Zealous Ward from the Legendary tree provides 6 seconds of it on Saber Ward (3 minute cooldown, though).

Our only other source is Force Camo, but nobody can even target you to attempt a stun while in stealth, obviously.

Trogusaurus
10.19.2017 , 01:40 PM | #73
So the parse boards have been reset, and it's safe to say that my initial argument is vindicated. I will grant that Conc probably needs a sustained nerf, but there is absolutely no reason even Combat should be putting up higher sustained numbers than Watchman on a dummy.

Devs, I urge you again to either reverse or soften the Watchman nerfs, or provide us a new bone to chew on. Better discipline CC-immunity, AoE, or DCD up-time will suffice.

BogyOne
10.20.2017 , 03:59 AM | #74
I am returning 1.x-2.x player and trying to find which specc I should re-learn now. Used to be a Watchman like you but then I got an arrow in the knee.
Actually I had to be Watchman because on poor ISP I used to have the Ops performance in Combat was unacceptable.

I get the picture that Combat/Carnage is most resilient of three specs to class changes - retaining over the years the difficulty, abilities and relative performance. Is this correct?

Thx, B1

WheresMyWhisky
10.20.2017 , 05:40 AM | #75
Carnage / Combat has been pretty much the best raid spec for sentinels / marauders for pretty much ever apart from brief period at end of 2 when watchman was awesome.

Even when watchman has been very good carnage has generally been equal on most bosses and better on others
If you think you can ever have too much Whisky you are wrong

KOTET the expac that actively encourages all PVE player to bugger off to Azeroth, where at least you get content

Trogusaurus
10.21.2017 , 04:16 AM | #76
Welcome back to the game. I won't say specifically which discipline you *should* play, given that all three of them play very differently and offer different advantages. Instead, I'll highlight their strengths and weaknesses, and allow you to make a better informed decision.

Concentration, in my opinion, has the simplest rotation of the three. It runs on a set, 12-GCD path that are divided up into two 6-turn "cycles". Focus management is easy, and you rarely have to deviate from it for optimal DPS. With a heavy alacrity distribution, it has the highest single target sustained damage in the entire game. It's the best equipped of any melee class for handling mobile targets, and it offers decent AoE that requires more attention to maintain than the other two specs.

Combat is also a fairly simple rotation, but more difficult to execute. Half of the spec is basic attack spam, with the other half fitting ~60-70% of your DPS into a 3 second window. It also has very strong potential DPS for being the burstiest of the three, but mistakes during your burst window are extremely costly. It is also the weakest of the three against mobile targets, but it does offer the best potential burst AoE of almost any class.

Watchman is currently the redheaded step-child of the three. While its DPS is still fairly competitive, it lacks the burst of the other two specs, underperforming in fights with multiple, weaker enemies. The rotation still requires the ramp-up time you likely remember, but it's significantly shorter than it was. When this is completed, you have two sets of abilities synced to two different base CD timers, which causes the greatest rotational variation of the three. Because of this, I argue that it has the highest skill ceiling for newcomers, but it's the most forgiving when making mistakes. It is the slowest in terms of GCD time, and offers decent AoE with many opportunities to spread DoTs. You do receive some baseline self-HoTs, and it does offer decent kiting tools as well.

Conc is a decent choice in any scenario, and you have the tools to deal with anything.
Combat is best for fights with multiple enemies and target swaps, but you potentially suffer being kited.
Watchman's only comparative advantage is fighting two or more enemies with high health for prolonged periods of time.

Hope that helps.

AdjeYo
10.21.2017 , 06:48 AM | #77
For PvE I'd mostly stay away from Concentration, while it can indeed outparse the other two, having to use Zealous Leap rotationally is usually more of a disadvantage than an advantage in my opinion. Combat parses only slightly lower than Concentration, making it in my opinion a superior choice for pretty much any boss fight. Lastly Watchman is kind of overshadowed by the other two specs, being the designated sustained dps spec, but parsing the lowest of the three. That said, it's still a very solid choice for pretty much all fights, and it's definitely competitive with other specs from it's category, parsing lower than Ruffian and Plasmatech, but higher than Vigilance and Serenity.

DavidAtkinson
10.21.2017 , 07:23 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Trogusaurus View Post
Welcome back to the game. I won't say specifically which discipline you *should* play, given that all three of them play very differently and offer different advantages. Instead, I'll highlight their strengths and weaknesses, and allow you to make a better informed decision.

Concentration, in my opinion, has the simplest rotation of the three. It runs on a set, 12-GCD path that are divided up into two 6-turn "cycles". Focus management is easy, and you rarely have to deviate from it for optimal DPS. With a heavy alacrity distribution, it has the highest single target sustained damage in the entire game. It's the best equipped of any melee class for handling mobile targets, and it offers decent AoE that requires more attention to maintain than the other two specs.

Combat is also a fairly simple rotation, but more difficult to execute. Half of the spec is basic attack spam, with the other half fitting ~60-70% of your DPS into a 3 second window. It also has very strong potential DPS for being the burstiest of the three, but mistakes during your burst window are extremely costly. It is also the weakest of the three against mobile targets, but it does offer the best potential burst AoE of almost any class.

Watchman is currently the redheaded step-child of the three. While its DPS is still fairly competitive, it lacks the burst of the other two specs, underperforming in fights with multiple, weaker enemies. The rotation still requires the ramp-up time you likely remember, but it's significantly shorter than it was. When this is completed, you have two sets of abilities synced to two different base CD timers, which causes the greatest rotational variation of the three. Because of this, I argue that it has the highest skill ceiling for newcomers, but it's the most forgiving when making mistakes. It is the slowest in terms of GCD time, and offers decent AoE with many opportunities to spread DoTs. You do receive some baseline self-HoTs, and it does offer decent kiting tools as well.

Conc is a decent choice in any scenario, and you have the tools to deal with anything.
Combat is best for fights with multiple enemies and target swaps, but you potentially suffer being kited.
Watchman's only comparative advantage is fighting two or more enemies with high health for prolonged periods of time.

Hope that helps.
From my point of view... Annihilation/Watchman is the 2nd best Marauder spec for any game content especially for PVP and Ranked PVp.

If you play this spec right, you will be a monster with big DPS potential and slight offheals to help a little with survivability.

Anni will also allow you to face tank mercs at your leisure and nuking them pretty easily.

It's very hard to find a proper guide for this class because the players writing them have no clue really. None of the guides mention how vital Smash is for DoT spread and I was shocked to see that every single guide considers smash useless while it's one of your biggest tools available in PVP.